User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 9.6K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My theory is, that it all was a big dream. The little boy had while being on the ride. Gilbert once said he himself was influenced by the disney ride. That's why there are coincidial stuff in the Johnny Depp movies "pirate of the carribean": Gouvernor's Daughter, Dog with keys in prison, voodoo lady etc.

• Honestly, I just took the ending of MI2 at face value. Guybrush really was relating the entire game back to Elaine, and then he fell down into the catacombs below Dinky Island. He "beat" LeChuck with the voodoo doll, but then LeChuck "revealed" himself to be Guybrush's little brother, and tricks him into thinking that he's just a little kid at an amusement park. But it's all an illusion by LeChuck. This would explain the weird dream sequence, too - it was something LeChuck planted into his head to make him think about his parents, which was reinforced when he saw the skeletons at the Lost and Found and assumed it was his parents. They were all little things that LeChuck crafted to make Guybrush doubt what world was really "real". Like Inception.

The fact that Elaine showed up at end of the game, and wondered if Guybrush was in trouble/cursed, is enough proof for me. As for why Guybrush apparently spent the time between MI2 and CMI in an actual, tangible Carnival of the Damned... er, I don't really know. Your Mind Makes It Real?

• There are a lot of anachronisms in the two first Monkey Island: The T-shirts, the grog machines, the costume shop, the maintenance tunnels and room, the underground ticket (E-ticket)...

Booty Island (whith the costume shop) and Big Whoop entrance can be superposed:
    coinci10.png

I think that if you only play SoMI and MI2, the child's mind is the most likely theory.

In an interview, Ron Gilbert said that he would love to make an other MI and share his secret with the world. I would love that too :o ...

In my dreams, Telltales would announce the development of MI3 Prime - The Revelation, the Ron Gilbert non cannon version. I wouldn't mind if it's an old SCUMM based point and click adventure game if it can lower the development costs (actually, I would even prefer :D ).

It could start right after the end scene of MI2, Guybrush suddenly runs away, parents and Chucky stands puzzled, finally Chucky decides to go after him. Guybrush enters an attraction with his E-ticket (Chucky doesn't have one). Then, progressive transition back to the dream realm: For example Guybrush climbs a ladder and emerge from the hole where Elaine is waiting, but the screen is "half dream, half real". Guybrush doubts. Elaine manage to convince him that he was cursed by LeChuck, take his hands, Guybrush closes his eyes, and when he opens them again, there is no confusion => Back to a pirate adventure. During the game, more and more anachronisms, some of them makes Guybrush very uncomfortable. In the end, the world become very unstable, sometimes, Guybrush go back in the theme park... In reality, Elaine could be a girlfriend, or a even an action figure/doll (shock! in porcelain! shock! shock! That could explain something, if porcelain reminds him that he is in a dream...) that Guybrush forgot in the end of MI2...

Obviously, this can't be what Ron Gilbert had in mind, his secret is still secret, unfortunately...

• Since Ron, Dave, and Tim sorta laugh off the twist-upon-twist ending in the commentary, I think it would be really, really funny if Ron's MI3 was never even going to have an explanation for MI2's ending.

• @doggans said: Since Ron, Dave, and Tim sorta laugh of the twist-upon-twist ending in the commentary, I think it would be really, really funny if Ron's MI3 was never even going to have an explanation for MI2's ending.

Actually, that's pretty much what CoMI developers should've done. The explanation made it worse, not better.

• @Farlander said: [QUOTE=doggans;421022]Since Ron, Dave, and Tim sorta laugh of the twist-upon-twist ending in the commentary, I think it would be really, really funny if Ron's MI3 was never even going to have an explanation for MI2's ending.

Actually, that's pretty much what CoMI developers should've done. The explanation made it worse, not better.[/QUOTE]
    I liked the CoMI introduction, with Guybrush on a bumper car, I really enjoyed the game too. But we all know that the given explanation was not the one Ron Gilbert intended. My only problem is that I am too curious :D . I would like to know what was in Ron Gilbert's mind about the Secret of Monkey Island. And that has nothing to do with CoMI or latter Monkey Island games.

Ron's MI3 doesn't exist and sadly probably never will. Maybe he just wanted to fool us all (that's also likely). If Ron's MI3 was never even going to have an explanation for MI2's ending it would be fine too. At least we would know that Ron's secret of MI is actually that there is no secret :D ...

• coinci10.png

Am I the only one who thinks that the similarities between the to backgrounds can possibly be attributed to laziness?

• @Hayden said: Am I the only one who thinks that the similarities between the to backgrounds can possibly be attributed to laziness?

For sure, it could be. We won't know. But the fact that the Costume Shop is a huge place of anachronisms appears quite puzzling to me. Would Booty island be a place where the limit between dream and reality is fuzzy? Could it be possible that Ron's MI3 rebooted on Booty Island?

• @boumbh said: But the fact that the Costume Shop is a huge place of anachronisms appears quite puzzling to me.

I never noticed any more anachronisms in the costume shop than any other location in the two games.

Add Comment