User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 9.5K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's not space issue (obviously, I mean, if it were a space issue there just wouldn't have been one of the backgrounds entirely, redrawed Booty Island has nothing to do with it) and it's neither laziness nor budget reasons (note that almost everything, bar the form of the buildings and a few hedges is absolutely different). If they would want to make them different, they would have - they had the possibilities. It's clearly has been done on purpose.

• @doggans said: I never noticed any more anachronisms in the costume shop than any other location in the two games.

Yes, I should have say that the whole shop was an anachronism in itself (in my opinion), as for the maintenance tunnels in the end of the game. Booty Island would be a place where fantasy and reality are very close... As if it was the entrance of the park... where the gift shops usually stand... Still, there is a flaw in my reasoning, why would a gift shops become a costume shop in a child's mind?

• @Farlander said: It's clearly has been done on purpose.

It's definitely done on purpose, but I'm not sure why anyone thinks it proves anything. The theme park sequence has things that Guybrush encounters throughout the game. If he's really just a kid, then it's what inspired the idea of those things, but if he's really under a spell, then it's just stuff LeChuck put together to confuse him and blur the lines between reality and fantasy.

• Guybrush could've died from the fall, and when he wakes up, he's in (yeah) and LeChuck's the devil, trying to torture him.

EDIT: Note later in the games it's called "The Carnival of the (yeah)"

• @doggans said: It's definitely done on purpose, but I'm not sure why anyone thinks it proves anything. The theme park sequence has things that Guybrush encounters throughout the game. If he's really just a kid, then it's what inspired the idea of those things, but if he's really under a spell, then it's just stuff LeChuck put together to confuse him and blur the lines between reality and fantasy.

It's not unlikely it's meant to mislead us.

• I still say that Lechuck knew what he was doing and that it was a curse on Guybrush, how could there have been an MI 3 which we all know Ron had in mind if it was just a kids daydream.

• @prizna said: I still say that Lechuck knew what he was doing and that it was a curse on Guybrush, how could there have been an MI 3 which we all know Ron had in mind if it was just a kids daydream.

That's a common misconception that while developing MI2 they had something planned for MI3 in mind. That's the point. They didn't. Even Ron didn't, he said somewhere himself he really never thought about MI3 until after MI2 was released (and even then it were just some vague ideas and stuff). And the ending in MI2 with red eyes/Elaine was put there just in case they decide to make a sequel, but they didn't plan it as a trilogy beforehand.

• Maybe he didn't have the story worked out in his mind, but I don't think the ending was like that "just for fun". There's never been any indication wether the ending was meant to reveal anything or not, just that the ending was bold and Ron had to convince the others to use it. I'm fairly certain that the ending was made with a sequel in mind, and the ending was just another hint towards the bigger secret.

Also, if the "boy in an amusement park" theory is true, Ron wouldn't have dismissed it, which he has. Yeah, he might have lied, but I'd rather not think of him as a liar. Besides, suggesting he is one is also rather disrespectfut towards him.

• Ok I guess im wrong about MI3 being planned during LR but I guess I just dont like the idea of it being a dream, it just feels like a cheat ending, teachers at school in English always told the class that when writting a story dont make then ending that it was all a dream.

• Maybe he didn't have the story worked out in his mind, but I don't think the ending was like that "just for fun".

Didn't the MI2:SE commentary reveal that it was mostly 'just for fun'? (by 'for fun' I mean 'for laughs', and by 'for laughs' I mean 'for people to laugh' :) ). Tim said they decided to use a twist after twist after twist just, you know, for kicks.

Add Comment