User Avatar Image

Sam & Max in Japan?

posted by crashblast23 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

That would be interesting.

Though based on Japanese voice acting culture, I would imagine Max being voiced by a girl...

EDIT 1/13/10: Hey, since we all seem to have this much faith into this thing, how about we actually have everyone pitch-in and create a dub for the animated Sam & Max episode "Aaiiieee Robot"? I know it's a longshot, but I believe with a lot of teamwork and time we could absolutely do it! :D

For those that wanna join the project, simply post and state what you'll be doing to help out!

What we need:

*Japanese translators
*Japanese dub script writers
*Voice actors who can read and pronounce Hiragana fluently
*If possible, a copy of the episode "Aaiiieee Robot" with the sound effects, music and no voices (for dubbing)
*Other great people that think they can help out in some way

Q&A:

Q: Why Japanese?

A: Mostly because Japan's never heard of Sam & Max: Freelance Police and we want to let the country know about it. Not only that, we also actually have a surprisingly good amount of Japanese speakers right here in the Telltale forums, ready to do this project.

Q: Do I have to know Japanese in order to help out?

A: Absolutely not, if you think there's a Japanese-free way which you can help out on, feel welcome to do it.

Q: Who's idea was it to dub "Aiiieee Robot"?

A: Steve Purcell himself! Nah, not really... But out of ALL his 18 posts in the entire time he's been in the Telltale forums, he posted the link to the episode in this topic. Giving us the idea of dubbing that episode.

Q: When can we expect the whole dubbed episode to be ready?

A: In a long while. At least more than 6 months I think. We gotta recruit members, write a script, record voices, edit the episode, etc.

Okay, that's it! I really hope we can get this whole thing through. If we do, that will be an amazing achievement to the Sam & Max fan community! I'll try helping out by doing various things when needed. I'll mostly be supervising the topic and respond to questions about the project though.

がんばって!(good luck!)

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I toyed with the idea of drawing a Sam and Max doujinshi. Momma Bosco would have gotten a fever while struggling with her feelings for Superball, and Superball would have had to care for her and fight of Flaming Max spores while she rested.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

i don't speak japanese

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@crashblast23 said: That would be interesting.

Though based on Japanese voice acting culture, I would imagine Max being voiced by a girl...

Did somebody call me? I'm plannin on dubbing some Sam and Max into Japanese for the lulz.

• Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it....

Please?

• @divisionten said: Did somebody call me? I'm plannin on dubbing some Sam and Max into Japanese for the lulz.

Oho, yes! Would love to hear them! :)

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

Allright. Considering I'm on break until Jan 7th, call it a late Christmas gift to you guys. I'll do The "Vice Squad" or "Coffee" (from the season 1 machiminia) or something else that's short. You guys can pick it, but choose a short or a machiminia 6 minutes or less. You could also pick a scene or dialogue that fits the 6 minute time constraint. I'll need a YouTube link, regardless.

The War Song, World of Max, or any other song is not an option- singing is OK but translating songs are a pain in the butt.

Also, for anyone who knows Japanese, Max is getting the "ore" pronoun and Sam the "boku". I think that's intrinsically hilarious. (Ore is used by tough guys, gangsters, and Edward Elric. Boku is used by more passive Japanese guys)

EDIT: I'm going to do Interrogation, at least for some practice. The jokes involve comparisons, but no puns like Egregious Philosophy Platter or The Blank Blank Blank. Puns a re a PAIN to translate. X_X

EDIT EDIT: Started translating. I've taken a number of liberties with the script- the top is the original lines, the middle is the Japanese, and the bottom is what that Japanese actually means, because it isn't the same. I'd rather have a product that feels like a natural conversation than a stilted direct translation, so some things got changed. If anyone here can speak Japanese (even a little, I can give you the script without kanji) and wants to play Sam, that'd be nice. Otherwise, I'll do all of it. I'll edit this post a I finalize more lines.

Sam and Max- Japanese version

Interrogation
    訊問 じんもん

SAM: Hey, kids! You know, the life of a fake cop is rife with personal challenges.
    じゃあ、みんな!まやかしの警察官の人生で仕事の問題が多いすぎる。
    (Lit: Hey, everyone! In the life of a fake police officer, there are a number of work-related problems)

MAX: Rife? RIFE?
    まやかしなのかい?
    (What do you mean, fake?)

SAM: Interrogating the suspect is a skill that requires intelligence, teamwork, and a hint of subtle coercion.

MAX: Nailgun! Nailgun!
    ホチキス使いたい
    (I wanna use the stapler!)

SAM: Extracting a confession from an uncooperative perp is much like eating potato chips.

MAX: Once you start, you just can’t stop?
    したら、終われないのかい?
    If you do it, you’ll be unable to stop?

SAM: Well, sure! Plus, it raises the blood pressure and gets your knuckles all greasy.

MAX: But in a good way!

SAM: Well, that goes without saying.

MAX: So, what are we jawing about? Let’s crack open this sweaty sack of bad news and let the presents fall out!

SAM: Now, Max, remember, the accused is considered innocent until proven guilty. Oh, well. Let the carnage begin! Max, cordless router, please.

Lenord: Ah! It hurts! Mama, oh mama!
    痛い〜!お母さん、痛いよ!
    (The pain, Mother, the pain!)

SAM: What are the chances? The poor sap landed in the back of a delivery truck full of broken glass, raor sharp scrap metal, and macai spears.

MAX: Justice is a cruel, cruel truckload of pointy crap.
    ごじょうはするどい物が入れたトラックである。
    (Justice… is a truck loaded full of sharp things.[said in the style of an Anime narrator])

• I think I can read romanized pretty well, I can help.

My only real problem is that my best sam voice sounds closer to Hit the Road than TTG.

• Your project sounds interesting, but could there be some romaji or at least furigana in those translations? I REALLY hate kanji x___x

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@SunnyGuy said: Your project sounds interesting, but could there be some romaji or at least furigana in those translations? I REALLY hate kanji x___x

I'm stil messing around with the script. I'll add romaji or furigana when I'm done.

Add Comment