User Avatar Image

The DeLorean explanation (merged threads)

posted by Mino_Dan on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Sounds a bit cheap and highly illogical.
Could he be lying to prevent a paradox?

360 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I thought it actually made pretty good sense. Although it probably would've made a lot more sense if it had been sent to 2015, making it more symmetrical. The amount of years is the only real problem I have with it.

EDIT: I got my movies switched up. I approve of this explanation.

• What do you mean more symmetrical? It already is. The lightning strike was in 1955, and cause of that one Delorean went 70 years in to the past (to 1885) and the other 70 years into the future - 2025.

• It's a silly explanation, but it works.

• @doggans said: I thought it was a bit far fetched and silly, but nothing worth getting upset over.

And a rocket drill powered by hooch isn't far fetched and silly? Or a mind-reading helmet? Or hoverboards? Of a time machine?:p This is Back to the Future! Far fetched is wnat we do!:D

• All I want to know is does the duplicate still have operational flying circuits? It should considering the rest of the equipment has not been damaged by the lightning bolt from part 2.

I loved the explanation. FYI, anyone notice the typo in the credits? Says Episode 2 February 2010.

• It went 70 years in the future, it'd be a LOT easier to repair. ;)

• Guys. Face it. This is a great explanation. Why?! Because it's the only explanation.
    The possibilities were:

-This
    -Doc build a new DeLorean model
    -Doc got the DeLorean somewhere from the movies timeline

Imho opinion the 2nd option is the worst of writing. Easy cop-out. The third one would cause too many problems and paradoxes.
    This is a good explanation. Let's just hope they flesh it out more and Doc gets into details in future episodes.
    Temporal duplication isn't that uncommon in time travel narratives.

• @Ash FoxX said: All I want to know is does the duplicate still have operational flying circuits? It should considering the rest of the equipment has not been damaged by the lightning bolt from part 2.

If it's a duplicate from the moment of the lightning strike then it would stand to reason that the damage from strike was also duplicated. Well at least I think it would.

• Obviously the time circuits are damaged too. But like someone said it's probably easy to repair them in 2025. They don't even have to reinstall the whole mechanics, just replace the circuits. Those got fried.

• If Doc's time machine duplicated, why didn't Marty's when he went from 1955 to 1985? Why Doc himself didn't duplicate?

This explanation just doesn't feel BttFy. BttF duplicates things by going into past when the originals are still there. But this time split, it's not even a time split, this time duplication doesn't make sense. And where did the "75 years in the future" come from? The time circuits panel bugged only the 'Destination Time' (resetting it to Jan 1 1885), and the last visited time was still 1985, how and WHY did it duplucate to 2020?

Add Comment