User Avatar Image

The DeLorean explanation (merged threads)

posted by Mino_Dan on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

Sounds a bit cheap and highly illogical.
Could he be lying to prevent a paradox?

360 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ThunderPeel2001 said: Wellllll, that's one of the clear conceits of the films's logic: The car travels through time and NOT space. Which is why it's a time machine and not a matter transporter. It's also why there's no controls to choose where in the world you want it to teleport you.

If you want to get technical, then Marty couldn't have travelled back and altered his past.

This popping into space thing should be made into an animated "How it should have ended." Einstein the dog would have made it because he was transported only a minute later, but Marty... Well, it's a short movie after all. lol

• @CartoonistWill said: This popping into space thing should be made into an animated "How it should have ended." Einstein the dog would have made it because he was transported only a minute later, but Marty... Well, it's a short movie after all. lol

Haha!

• @CartoonistWill said: This popping into space thing should be made into an animated "How it should have ended." Einstein the dog would have made it because he was transported only a minute later, but Marty... Well, it's a short movie after all. lol

Einstein might NOT have been okay. Think about how fast the galaxy actually rotates per minute. Besides, not taking that into effect, the time machine might have materialized inside that hill. ;) I think the flux capacitor is able to take the time machine the the same relative location in the space/time continuum, otherwise the DeLorean's first test run could have been disastrous.

• if the DeLorean was duplicated, then wouldn't Doc have been duplicated too?

I'd love it if it turned out that Doc was duplicated too, it would make for a great episode and maybe it's even the plot of Citizen Brown? Doc's clone being some kind of evil dictator in the future?

• I thought the DeLorean explanation was probably the worst part on an otherwise flawless game.

They've respected the mythology perfectly in every other aspect and replicated scenes brilliantly, however I cannot believe that with the wealth of options available to them (in a time traveling movie series no less) the best they came up with was a sudden duplication of vehicles.

I mean for those who say that it would've been a cop out for Doc to have just built a new one in his future, I disagree. Although it would've been out of character for a guy so intent on destroying it in the first place...he did build a TIME TRAVELLING TRAIN...so he clearly has changed his opinions since becoming a family man. In my eyes I can't see anything more of a cop out than simply saying "uh...there's two of them?"

I would've simply gone with the idea that maybe Doc built a new one so he could show mankind his world changing invention the way he originally meant to. Or maybe he wanted to build one for his sons who were going to college in a different time period, so they didn't have to take the train everytime they go time traveling to meet their parents at the weekend in the future (apparently they do a crapload of time hoping now according to Doc in jail).

Or even go as far as to say that Doc wanted to show the kids his first time traveling invention, and so took them to 1885 after the original Time Machine was buried, took it out of the cave and repaired it with every intention of putting it back there in the 70 years it took for Marty to find it in 1955. This would've lead to a great "race against the clock" paradox, because if Doc suddenly lost the car, him and Marty would cease to exist because it needs to go back in that cave for Marty to find and for everything to play out.

The sudden appearance of a second time machine just doesn't work right in my head.

(a lot of rambling there, but still, the rest of the game is flawlessly executed)

• Actually, this works out better than a new DeLorean. As someone did point out, DeLoreans aren't cheap, even in 2010 although they are being "newly built". And Doc would've had to return to 1985-86 to get one and utilize his primary lab. And he would've needed his notebook. As for taking the DeLorean from the mine, that would've caused a paradox. Even with the intention of returning it, he would've had to intentionally destroy the time circuits.

• I don't see the issue in intentionally breaking the circuits again when he puts it back. Afterward he can then just hop back in his train and head to whatever time period he wanted. Bear in mind he built that train in the 1880's with Clara.

And DeLoreans might not be cheap, but if your son is going to college in the 1960's, you're probably going to want to give him a time traveling car so he can get back to you. And the DeLorean had it's reasons to be THE car to time travel in (other than just "doing it in style")

• And the DeLorean had it's reasons to be THE car to time travel in (other than just "doing it in style")

According to Doc, DeLorean's stainless steel construction makes something very good with/for the flux dispersal. He didn't specify what good in particular, he kinda was interrupted :p

• On one hand its kind of a cheap weak explanation... On the other... with all that time travel gear in a car made of exposed steal who knows how it would react getting zapped directly with that much electricity....

But arguing this sort of stuff in a SCIFI movie/game makes us a special kind of NERDY!

Add Comment