Menu
User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 25K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just saw Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause. I'll give it 4/10. The first one is the best one. I only really sat through this because the cat was sleeping on my lap and I didn't have the heart to move her.

• TRON: Legacy - 6/11 - I will say upfront that Daft Punk's soundtrack and REAL Flynn were the greatest things in the film. The hero was a carbon copy of Jeff Bridges in personality, voice, and actions. I kind of have this feeling that the movie was a bit of a rehash. WTF was up with Zeus? It felt weird and jarring for a movie that was trying to take itself so seriously to throw cheese in like this seemingly out of nowhere. If the entire film had been trying to be cheesy like this Zeus would have fit in a whole lot better. Hell, he would have fit in better in an 80s sequel to TRON than this film. The girl was so token I couldn't even feel for her and barely noticed her. She was kind of cute though. My favorite scene was one where Flynn walks offscreen like a badass and it cuts to Zeus's bar while the track titled End of the Line started playing. I loved that. I also loved how the real Flynn looked like a wizard. Some of the rest of it was incredibly cheesy, yet again was trying to take itself so seriously, especially CLU. I cringed every time he was on screen and not just because of the bad CGI, which was BAD. Uncanny valley times a million. I also hated the plot retcon about how Flynn created CLU. A lot of motivations and other things weren't explained and there were a couple of obvious continuity errors. All in all it was a fun ride but it had numerous problems. Oh, and some of the music and places reminded me of Mass Effect.

True Grit - 10/11 - A pretty funny film, but not so much a serious western. More of a family western. The violence is pretty tame except for one scene, as is any other content. It's not a typical Coen Brothers film in that it plays out rather typically. Jeff Bridges was badass and hilarious, Matt Damon was unrecognizable and hilarious, and Hailee Steinfeld was a fantastic actress who really held her own up against other veteran actors. I was impressed by her. One of the things I adored about this film most was how it didn't feel at all like a modern film. This felt like a western from the 40s, 50s, or 60s. The type that Randolph Scott, Fess Parker, or John Wayne (not saying this as a comparison between old and new) might have made. There were a couple of scenes ripped from the John Wayne version but I'm not sure how many as I've only seen the two scenes in question. I very much need to see it now. All in all, the Coen Brothers have proven yet again that they are fantastic filmmakers who can make classic films at every turn, and I'll definitely remember this movie in later years, pick it up on DVD release, and continue to call the Coen Brothers some of my favorite unerring filmmakers.

Scrooged - 9/11 - A great Bill Murray Christmas movie. I'd go into detail more about why I like it, but I'm getting bored writing this post, have said my piece on the two important reasons I wanted to post this at all, and want to go play games and shit. I'll just say I really, really enjoy this movie and it's worth watching whenever you want that Christmas feeling anytime during the year.

• @Secret Fawful said:
    Scrooged - 8/11 - A great Bill Murray Christmas movie. I'd go into detail more about why I like it, but I'm getting bored writing this post, have said my piece on the two important reasons I wanted to post this at all, and want to go play games and shit. I'll just say I really, really enjoy this movie and it's worth watching whenever you want that Christmas feeling anytime during the year.

I am sorry, but if you're scoring out of eleven then you need to add another point on, if only for the promo Muraay's character cuts for his studios production of a Christmas Carol

• Jim Carrey's A Christmas Carol - 7.5/10

Not a bad version of a Christmas Carol, but because I watched the 2D version, I was able to sit that and be like "Oh, that shot was obviously meant for 3D." Definitely a movie intended to be watched in 3D. Jim Carrey feels like he falls out of the voice in a few places too.

The Muppet Christmas Carol - 9/10

No explanation needed.

Olive, The Other Reindeer - 8.5/10

I watch this movie every year. It's a Christmas staple.

Elf - 9/10

Same as Olive. I don't know a single person who doesn't love this movie.

Okay, Christmas movie craze over.

• @JedExodus said: I am sorry, but if you're scoring out of eleven then you need to add another point on, if only for the promo Muraay's character cuts for his studios production of a Christmas Carol

All right, but only in exchange for even more Cowboy Bebop viewing you still owe me, you lazy paddy man.

• The Last Airbender
    The first 10 minutes were somewhat okay and the credits looked nice. The rest of this *thing* was very strange. It was pending between over-exposition and leaving me completely puzzled. The cuts are horrible to fit the movie in it's running time. The ending was puzzling. Who is that girl and why oh why are they setting up what looks like to follow-up-movies? 3/10

• I watched Tron. Maybe it's because the chick was pretty hot, but i thought it was generally good harmless entertainment. I didn't think it was fantastic, but it wasn't terrible.

Add Comment