User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 38.5K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Mr Nutt said: Well the next Doctor Who "adventure game" episode is out now if anyone still cares.

It was out three days ago! :p
    It's the best of the bunch, so hopefully the second season will be great!

In other news Someone edited marilyn monroe's wikipedia page. Unfortunately, it's been edited back, but here's a screen.
    214726977.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6F

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I loved the Christmas episode! Of course, A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite stories, so I'm a little biased. ;)

I also loved the fourth episode of Doctor Who: The Adventure games. The Vashta Nerada are very terrifying monsters, so the feeling of suspense worked much better here than in previous episodes. I also liked that the story picked up right where the last left off. I hope we get four interconnected stories next season. :)

On a side note, it was also interesting that both the television and video game Christmas episodes featured alien sharks. Sharks aren't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Christmas, but in both cases, it worked. :D

• Missed the Xmas special and sort of kicking myself for it, as my aunt and uncle are the only people I know who have BBC America. Will probably have to wait until I get back to York to see it. >.

• @mgrant said: Missed the Xmas special and sort of kicking myself for it, as my aunt and uncle are the only people I know who have BBC America. Will probably have to wait until I get back to York to see it. >.<

Well, you've got until sunday to catch it on the iplayer!

• @Friar said: Well, you've got until sunday to catch it on the iplayer!

Judging by the post, I guess that mgrant is currently in America.

• From my experiences, I'd say the iPlayer is hard to use in the United States. I know that from trying to watch QI for the first time. Luckily on that case YouTube saved the day

• Well I've just finished the episode and to be honest if the controls weren't so bad it would have been a nice episode... by the low standards of these so called adventure games.

• @StLouisRibs said: Judging by the post, I guess that mgrant is currently in America.

Yes, in California. I just barely managed to get out of Heathrow on Tues. I've tried iplayer before here and it was a pile of fail, so I'll have to just...hunt down other less legal means I guess.

• So I caught up today and watched 6 episodes from Series 5 (that I've yet to see), and have only three more to go before I've officially seen all the new series.

• The best Christmas Special yet! It avoided the things I disliked about previous specials: the characters felt more genuine, the story had a lot more substance and Christmas was more than just a setting, it was actually ABOUT Christmas. Michael Gambon played the "Scrooge" type character brilliantly. It was unusual in the sense that the roles of Amy and Rory seemed almost totally absent. One other minor critique: another breach of the Father's Day Paradox Rule where the older man and his younger self as a boy hugged. I'm starting to think I should just forget the Father's Day paradox rule as this is now the second time Moffat has waived it.

I was also a little confused as to how the Doctor only managed to extract a half sonic screwdriver from the shark when really none of it should have been able to have been recovered.

Apart from that, absolutely brilliant. I loved it! It's certainly one of the best DW Christmas special for me because Christmas was more than a setting or a set-piece, it was embedded into the soul of the writing leaving the audience to contemplate Christmas spirit and meaning.

4 out of 5

Add Comment