User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 20.6K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DoctorCello said:
    coolface_USA_according_to_Europeans-s392

Low res, lossy jpeg? You truly are a god-tier troll. We could all learn a thing or two here.

• @Secret Fawful said: Yes, and remember the fricking part where Quorra says their lightcycles can't go that way or they'll malfunction and die? And then later when they do anyway? That part just blows my mind.

The reasonable assumption here is that the Lightcycles used on the game grid aren't able to go off-grid, not that Lightcycles that can go off-grid don't exist. Given how Flynn escaped the game grid in the first movie and that Clu 2 seems to have been created with Flynn's own knowledge, it's possible that Clu 2 purposely implemented this feature to prevent a similar escape.

Or like how the main characters have dinner at one point- right food in the Grid. FOOD IN THE GRID.

They're dining in a well-constructed hideout in the middle of nowhere, Flynn having escaped with practically nothing on his person, and you're complaining about the food? As much as I hate to keep using the term "reasonable assumption", the one here is that Flynn is somehow able to alter the programming of the Grid. Yes, there must be a limit to it or he would've overthrown Clu 2 long ago, but that limit lies somewhere between fixing Quorra's data and forcing the portal open in his living room. If he can build a swanky hideout, it's probably a safe bet that he can program in food.

Seriously, it's like you checked your suspension of disbelief at the door when you saw this movie.

• @GuruGuru214 said: They're dining in a well-constructed hideout in the middle of nowhere, Flynn having escaped with practically nothing on his person, and you're complaining about the food? As much as I hate to keep using the term "reasonable assumption", the one here is that Flynn is somehow able to alter the programming of the Grid. Yes, there must be a limit to it or he would've overthrown Clu 2 long ago, but that limit lies somewhere between fixing Quorra's data and forcing the portal open in his living room. If he can build a swanky hideout, it's probably a safe bet that he can program in food.

Oh, well that's useful. Programming in food. How nourishing are those pieces of data or whatever the hell they are? Or is Jeff Bridges not flesh but a program? Why the hell would he need to eat if he's data on the Grid. And if he's not, how the hell can he eat something made of data? Or is he so powerful he can program living tissue now? What is the function of this food? And while I'm at it, because I can not get over this bastard, what the hell is Zeus's function? Why the hell did Flynn make this bastard? Just so he could have a gay British dude who puts Dr. Frank N' Furter to shame hanging around the Grid? That's fine, I guess, except outside of having someone "trustworthy" to betray everybody, Zeus has no DAMN PURPOSE. Outside of CLU 2.0, what the hell were any of these character's functions as programs? Megaman Battle Network is a better damn sequel to TRON than TRON: Legacy. At least Megaman Battle Network keeps one of the core features of TRON intact; that EXE characters actually have functions on the net. I don't buy throwing frisbees and drinking hooch and being British as valid functions, no. And that's not even all of my complaints with this piece of shit.

The reasonable assumption here is that the Lightcycles used on the game grid aren't able to go off-grid, not that Lightcycles that can go off-grid don't exist. Given how Flynn escaped the game grid in the first movie and that Clu 2 seems to have been created with Flynn's own knowledge, it's possible that Clu 2 purposely implemented this feature to prevent a similar escape.

Oh, right. Well, based on the fact the movie tells you they can't go there and never explains this, and later they magically can go there, that's a big fricking assumption to be made.

Seriously, it's like you checked your suspension of disbelief at the door when you saw this movie.

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I went into TRON: Legacy hoping to think and be given an intelligent movie kind of like the first one. You're right. If you even try to think about this movie and don't hold your suspension of disbelief at everything that happens you might be able to enjoy it. I, on the other hand, like to think and be treated as intelligent by a movie at least to the point that it gives me a plot that makes sense. That's all I ask. That's not that hard to do. And TRON: Legacy couldn't even do that. Hot damn I hate this movie.

• Rather Dashing, you give Secret Fawful his password back right now!

• What!? No! I can't be compared to him!

woman+screaming+in+shower.jpg

• It has the exact same plot as the first one, thus you are saying Tron's plot made no sense.

• TRON and TRON:Legacy does not have the exact same plot. It is set in the same universe with some of the same things in it, but the basic plots are completely different.

TRON - Flynn, a User, is transported into the Grid by the Grid MCP, who brings him onto its own turf so it can destroy him. Flynn must fight alongside rogue programs to destroy the MCP before it takes over the world.

TRON: Legacy - Flynn's son accidentally transports himself into the Grid while looking for his father and must stop CLU 2.0, a program created to create the perfect world, from building an army and making his way back into our world with his army to make our world 'perfect', probably by destroying it. I'd say your argument fell apart at the fact that the main villains have goals as different as night and day, but I thought I'd outline it.

NOT. THE. SAME. COMPLETELY. DIFFERENT.

Oh, and unrelated to TRON, it is possible for the same plot to either be done really well or really shittily. Case in point - Gulliver's Travels.

• Clu: Want's to take over the World

MCP: Want to take over the world.

And Sam was technically brought in by Clu.

• CLU does not want to take over the world. He wants to create the perfect world. And the only way he will do that in our world is by destroying it. Flynn says CLU destroys anything that is imperfect. And "what is more imperfect than our world". It is stated without a doubt he will destroy it. So, again, wrong.

[quote]And Sam was technically brought in by Clu. [/quote]

Oh lord, don't even get me stated on this shitty bullshit.

• Dunno TRON Legacy was cool because it is a TRON movie.

If you're able looking behind this fact than it's a rather bad movie, sadly.

The story is boring, the film dares nothing, there is no depth, it's a shame if you compare it to all the things TRON once invented. I had the impression that the script was mainly driven by going through a checklist a) we somehow have to get into this world, b) we have to throw some discs, c) we need to show a lightcycle scene, d) let's show some of the other devices people are familiar with already, e) there has to be somekind of love story, f) oh meet and destroy some evil program again, g) let's add something new but nothing radically new, h) make it back safe again, ...

Boring! Beside of this it looks very good. The walls in the lightcycle scene are great. Overall i would have prefered a less physical look. The sound was very good as well. The chicks had nice haircuts and posed properly. I simply miss edges where i can scratch myself, important moments which remain in your brain and you like to talk to each other after the film. Maybe the most shocking scene was the way Quorra lost her arm temporarily. The acting sometimes was worse than in part 1.

Sad, what a wasted chance, and still it's a TRON movie. I won't rate it, i can't, i do not like to...

Add Comment