User Avatar Image

BTTF - Limiting Framerate

posted by AlteredTomorrow on - last edited - Viewed by 993 users

I need to know if there's a way in-game to turn on vertical sync, or more importantly, use some kind of console command to limit the framerate.

The game runs spectacularly on my computer, but after a short time it overheats and crashes so I need to find some way to limit the framerate.

Thanks!

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DjNDB said:

Either way, you could try reducing it's speed and especially voltage.

Could you tell me how I might go about doing that?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@AlteredTomorrow said: Could you tell me how I might go about doing that?

If and how it's possible depends on the hardware and operating system. I am not an expert on this though.
    Using windows power plans is one way to limit the CPU performance. I herard about special tools too, such as RMClock, some years ago, but i don't know if there are any compatible with todays CPUs.

For the graphics card ATITool might be an option.

You'll have to do some research yourself though to find a good solution for your system.

• @DjNDB said: That would increase the load on the graphics chip of course, and in turn produce more heat in the GPU.

Not necessarily, his problem is not stress on the GPU, but the frame-rate.

It may help it may not, there's only one way to find out.

@DjNDB said: How do you suggest I sort it out? I'm open to any suggestions.

As I posted earlier, use real-time monitoring programs and find out exactly what's happening.

Once you know that, then you can decide on what to do.

• I've used a benchmarking tool once and I believe that as soon as my card temp hits 100 degrees my computer will just shut down to prevent damage, no matter what.

• how do clean your laptop? just surface and stuff or are you really cleaning the fan(s) and the colling ribs with compressed air??

if you are technically gifted i also say: open that f*cker up and put new heatsink (edit: i mean heatsink paste, sorry) on the graphics chip.

about checking the heat and reducing the clock speed:

try rivatuner, its free and not THAT hard to use. you can also regulate the fanspeed with it. and monitoring the temperature.

reducing voltage is a different thing, i think thats not possible without flashing the graphic cards bios...

• @Cyphox said: how do clean your laptop? just surface and stuff or are you really cleaning the fan(s) and the colling ribs with compressed air??

if you are technically gifted i also say: open that f*cker up and put new heatsink on the graphics chip.

about checking the heat and reducing the clock speed:

try rivatuner, its free and not THAT hard to use. you can also regulate the fanspeed with it. and monitoring the temperature.

reducing voltage is a different thing, i think thats not possible without flashing the graphic cards bios...

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I clean all visible areas with compressed air including any exhaust and intake fans I can find.

I've tried to use Rivatuner before but apparently my system doesn't allow manipulation of the fan controls because I was unable to change anything.

• is your laptop still covered by warranty? i'd just call the manufacturer saying its getting to hot when it has to show performance and send it in for repairs. maybe they can change the cooling solution for a better one or something like that.

imho thats really a serious issue for desceming the warranty service. they cant sell you a laptop that crashes when gpu performance is claimed. for what reason they're building a laptop with a good performing gpu when its not working when it comes to performance??

about tools:
    i really cant say for sure (because i never fiddled around that much with this special program) but another tool for regulating the fan-speed is "speedfan". just google it and give it a try

and about riva tuner: you should at least be able to reduce the mhz of gpu and ram. does this work at least??

• @Kleetus said: Not necessarily, his problem is not stress on the GPU, but the frame-rate.

Not really, the issue is almost certainly that the GPU is producing more heat than the system can clear, thus stress is exactly the issue as 'frame rate' can't cause the GPU to heat up magically. Reducing frame rate when a game has a fixed detail level reduces the amount of work the GPU is doing, that's why it's a viable solution.

• @ForumPoster said: Not really, the issue is almost certainly that the GPU is producing more heat than the system can clear

Until a real-time montoring program is run in the background with the game, no one knows exactly what the issue is.

It could very well be the CPU, or something else entirely.

@ Altered, find out exactly what the issue is, then you can decide what action to take.

• Not really a solution, but ATI/AMD has a feature in their newer graphics cards meant to combat this issue; if it detects that the GPU is getting too hot, it automatically underclocks it to reduce its thermal dissipation. Currently it seems to be only in the desktop graphics cards, but it most certainly will be beneficial in future laptops.

Add Comment