User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 19.4K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Try Battleship Potemkin, Metropolis, Notorious (1946), Citizen Kane or 2001: A Space Odyssey. These are my all time favourite films and you simply can't do better.

• @Comrade Pants said: Rifftrax? Please. When I was your age, we had Mystery Science Theater 3000 and we LOVED IT.

See, we didn't have that here. I mean we WOULD, maybe, its latest seasons, unsure when it did even start; but I didn't even know English back then, yet noone could even DARE to attempt subtitling/dubbing all episodes in my language because every episode is at least 2 hours long.

Now I'm trying to getting used to MTS3K by watching it on Youtube or whatever, and yes the riffing is very nice, but the movies are so painful and boring I can't even bear to wait for another witty line to come. It might also be the internet factor, you know, I now have a really large content under my hands and if I want to laugh, I can find my entertainment that takes a shorter amount of time. But then, it was on TV and it's the TV factor; most channels show shit. When there was a good show you instantly love it and watch it, unless the show was set in the same time block with another show in another channel you like better.

• I went to see Megamind with my little bro today.

I actually really like this movie! :D

The visuals are good, (plays with 3D a bit, but doesn't turn it into a gimmick), the story is pretty unique.

I don't really have the time for a proper review, but I'll give it a solid 8.
    (Its quite rare for a movie these days to actually make me care about a character, but I'll happily admit that I feel for Megamind)

• Tangled - 9/10

It's a Disney movie. Their 50th animated movie. With Zachary Levi. I'd feel like a terrible person giving this anything less than a 9.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Black Swan - 8.5/10

Disturbing, but very well done.

• @puzzlebox said: Black Swan - 8.5/10

Disturbing, but very well done.

Given the film you just rated, I'd put far more weight in your 8.5 than most peoples' 9s and 10s. =P

Anyway.

Juno - 2/10

This movie is really bad. The cinematography is like a really cheap daytime soap opera. The film is trying WAY too hard to be indie. When this fits your film damn near 1:1, it's hard to argue in its favor. And this USA Television Extended Edition only serves to make it worse by inserting more scenes that were cut for very good reasons, among the flaws being not contributing a damn thing and being shot even worse than the rest of the film, like the cameraman was drunk that day.

• The Legend of the Guardians - The Owls of Ga'Hoole

6/10

The story and characterisation kind of made me go ':/' on several occasions. The concept itself seemed a little forced - why owls? I haven't read the books, and maybe they pull it off better than the film, but the substance of most of the story and characters was lacking.

That being said, everything looked bloody amazing. The flying scenes left me in a state of glee, the feathers, the reflections in the owl eyes... even very small parts of the visuals just struck me dumb.

So yeah, here's hoping we can marry awesome visuals with awesome story next time. ;)

• I know everyone's addressed it, but I'll throw in my two cents worth about Tron:Legacy since I saw it today with my sister and her boyfriend.

I went into this thing expecting to be disappointed, the backlash against this film in nerd culture has been huge, particularly from those that know and love the original film. Add that to the fact that I'm judgmentally biased against sequels off the bat as I view them to be nothing more than attempts at money mongering by the terminally unimaginative, you had an equation for failure right out of the gate.

However, I only came out of the theatre with a few nitpicky problems (the dinner in the Grid, Jeff Bridges' plasticine uncanny valley young CGI face, the breaking of continuity in regards to the whole 'only certain vehicles can travel over the train outside of the Grid', etc.). It wasn't bad, certainly not as bad as some other sequels I can think of that I watched in the past few weeks in an impressive display of media masochism (Highlander: The Source, Starship Troopers 2, AVP, Bloodrayne: Deliverance, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest are the only ones I can remember because I'm pretty sure I had an embolism at that point). The point is, if anyone knows bad movies, it's probably me and this wasn't one. Was it a good film? Not really, but it certainly doesn't deserve the backlash it's getting.

Maybe this comes from the fact that I don't really have the nostalgia goggle effect with Tron. The movies I grew up with: Kaiju films (mainly the Godzilla franchise), Back To The Future, the original Star Wars trilogy, the TOS Star Trek Movies, The first two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies, 90s disney films and fantasy films (Like Labyrinth or Legend); which I love deeply and abidingly, even as I found others such as Bladerunner,Tron and Star Trek: First Contact, are all profoundly silly. I know that, and while I love them, I'm willing to mock them, and in fact enjoy doing so. Tron: Legacy, while having a number of discontinuities with the previous movie and within itself, is ultimately harmless and fairly entertaining. My sister, who has never seen the original Tron loved it, and expressed interest in seeing the original. So, if it gets my little sister, one who has despised everything 80s since she was about 13 to want to watch 80s movies with me, Tron: Legacy is good in my book.

Plus it had a rockin' soundtrack by Daft Punk, who I've adored since Discovery hit shelves. That's an automatic win in some category.

Overal Score: 7.5/10

• The Darjeeling Limited/Hotel Chevalier 9/10.

• Little Fockers - 7/10

It was really funny at times, but then some other jokes just seemed to fall through. Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers were both much better than this.

Add Comment