User Avatar Image

Could not initialize direct3D and error message

posted by samwize on - last edited - Viewed by 8.3K users

Hi,

i brought cultureshock a few days ago by downloading the demo and unlocking the full game, but when i go on launch game it comes up with an error message saying 'ithis program has caused an error in USER.EXE. or KERNL.EXE.' Then after doing this it says it could not initialise direct3D but i have installed directX and Nvidia. Please could you help me i've waited a decade to play this game.

p.s. i have windowsME not XP

115 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DjNDB said: Make sure your display color depth is set to 32 bit, and that you have run the DirectX updater.

If that fails please post a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

@DjNDB said: Oh well, that doesn't look promising:

That's some pretty old hardware with old drivers.
    It might start, if you update the drivers, but it would sure run horrible on that integrated graphics chip.
    If you want to give it a try, here you'll find the latest, but still old, graphics drivers and sound drivers.

Unless you want to upgrade or replace the system you're better off playing on the laptop.

ok im lost on what to download and what to do when i do download it. plz help

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

You follow one of the links, then you have to agree to SIS Terms of Service. Once you've done that you'll see a Page where you can select what to download. Ignore that. Instead follow both links again, this time you should see the files to download. You'll have to input a captcha (Type the code shown) before you can start downloading.
    Then you unzip the files, and install the drivers.

• @DjNDB said: You follow one of the links, then you have to agree to SIS Terms of Service. Once you've done that you'll see a Page where you can select what to download. Ignore that. Instead follow both links again, this time you should see the files to download. You'll have to input a captcha (Type the code shown) before you can start downloading.
    Then you unzip the files, and install the drivers.

evre time i do this i get an error

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@strong-Bad said: evre time i do this i get an error

Please elaborate.

• @DjNDB said: Please elaborate.

oh my bad. i get an error when i run the files. the adio one sez " 53670397" then another one pops up and sez " Fail to install audio driver. setup will now exit"

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@strong-Bad said: oh my bad. i get an error when i run the files. the adio one sez " 53670397" then another one pops up and sez " Fail to install audio driver. setup will now exit"

It's probably a lost cause anyway with that legacy hardware. I would not waste too much time trying to get it to work on that PC, unless you know what to do.

One thing came to my mind though.
    Did you actually extract the zip files before you started the drivers setup?
    There are those "Zip folders" too in some Windows versions, which might cause problems with only the executable being extracted, not finding the other files. Just a wild guess though.

What about the graphics driver?

• @DjNDB said: It's probably a lost cause anyway with that legacy hardware. I would not waste too much time trying to get it to work on that PC, unless you know what to do.

One thing came to my mind though.
    Did you actually extract the zip files before you started the drivers setup?
    There are those "Zip folders" too in some Windows versions, which might cause problems with only the executable being extracted, not finding the other files. Just a wild guess though.

What about the graphics driver?

i did extract them.
    and the same

• My game has an error message that says:
    "Could not initialize Direct3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running. You will need a video card that supports Pixel Shader 1.4."

My video card supports PS 3.0, and I can't run the game properly.
    Every time I start the game, there goes that error message of death.
    RAAAAAAHHH!! :confused:

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!! CAN YOU HELP???

I really want to play the game and I'm also an avid fan of BTTF....
    So please reply quickly!!!!! :D

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@DrBiffMcFly said: My game has an error message that says:
    "Could not initialize Direct3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running. You will need a video card that supports Pixel Shader 1.4."

Is your display color depth set to 32-bit?
    Do you have multiple displays activated?

Otherwise, please post a dxdiag log as described above.

• i just bought anew game prototype 2 bt couldn't start it it's showing
    error unable to intialize direct 3d how can start it ?
    i have windows XP

i have intel(R) G33/G31 express chpest family
    i have direct 11x version
    please help me

Add Comment