User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 18K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Tron 8/10

I thought it was okay. This shows that the critics have lost their touch.

• No, the critics lost their touch when they lost their dicks and feared losing ad revenue over bad reviews. Rule of thumb: modern, mainstream Hollywood cinema is bollocks.

• The Wizard of Oz - 3/5

It was good for it's time, it had funny moments and a story to follow.
    But it's not a movie I will see again, it had many face palm moments and I am not really fond of musicals.
    But I don't think it deserves to be at the very low end of the ratings I have really mixed feelings about it.

I just watched it so I know what most things on the internet is referring to now a days.

• @mgrant said: Sing it, brother.

I would, but every time I sing an angel not only loses its wings; but is torn asunder by the Deep Ones. These are facts.

• I'm going to eschew numbers for these ones, okay?

Book of Eli

Two words: Wasted Potential.

The idea of a modernized Judeo-Christian prophet in a post-apocalyptic world is by no means a bad one. Giving western mythology the movie treatment is not a bad idea, as there is some crazy and fantastic shit in there ripe for adaptation. The problem is that this story comes off as uninspired, preachy, and overall very hard to believe. I find the villain's attempts to utilize the King James Bible as a means to control people to be...somewhat suspect from a logical perspective. He knows how religion and spirituality have been used to control the masses for ages, why would THIS particular book(one that is, by the way, HATED for starting the war in the first place) be necessary to pull off the ruse? Generally, when people utilize religious teachings as part of their propaganda, it's at least rooted in something the people already believe in.

Still, the film is not a complete loss. There is some nice stylized cinematography, the sets are gorgeously destroyed, and there is the skeleton of a good movie in here. It's just never realized.

Igor

As far as childrens' movies go, I gotta give this one some props. They keep the cliche'd bullshit to a minimum(not completely, but they keep its screentime mercifuly short), and it introduces a really fun and stylized little world of evil geniuses. And as far as annoying sidekicks go? I gotta give this film props for a suicidal immortal with existential quandaries. The animal sidekick is far less annoying when he's cynical, jaded, and wants desperately to die. I enjoyed it for what it was, though it's not going to change anyone's world.

• Four Boxes - 6/10

Weird little indie thriller that would have benefited from being 20 minutes shorter. It's not that it was long, just that the last 20 minutes were an unbelievably stupid end to a more or less solid (if not great) story. Didn't help that I hated all three characters and that it relies on having no knowledge of how the internet works.

Cold Storage - 7/10

Direct-to-DVD horror flick that really wasn't all that terrible. It's certainly not original, and in more capable hands, it could have been profoundly sad and disturbing, but as it is, it's darkly funny and interesting enough to keep you watching. But like "Four Boxes", I'll stop short of calling it "good".

• So since my husband is so addicted to playing Xbox I decided to make use of his Xbox live account get Netflix on it...so I chose a movie to watch "instantly" called Humboldt County because I tend to enjoy the Independent films more than the major motion pictures.

Overall I thought it was awesome..it was basically about a straight arrow guy who follows a pretty girl to a pot farm out in the boonies and over the summer learns a lot about himself and experience quite a bit of loss to. It was pretty deep but very funny too and if you don't mind continuous pot smoking then you may enjoy it :)

• Movies I watched recently and keeping it simple and sweet:

Scott Pilgrim VS The World - 10
    Bee Movie - 8
    Wall-E - 9
    Inception - 8
    Enthiran - 10

Add Comment