User Avatar Image

Is there a new monkey island 6 getting released??

posted by comethere on - last edited - Viewed by 4.2K users

If there is then when is it expected? coz the ending of tales of monkey island was a teaser

If anyone has any idea let me know

72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    jmm

@Toothless Gibbon said: I can't believe how many people has struggled with this concept. I thought adventurers were supposed be some of the brighter gamers...

The problem is that not everyone has your knack for lateral thinking (and heavy ordinance)

Nah...
    It's a real pain to continue to see people still saying/posting one or more of the following:
    a) Where is MI5 (Answer: The real question is When. Real Answer: between EfMI and ToMI. OK THAT was a joke, ToMI is the Fifth MI game: PERIOD)
    b) Pretend CoMI and/or EfMI never existed (Answer: They exist, you just don't like them)
    c) Consider CoMI, EfMI and ToMI non-canon (Answer: Regardless of what you'd like as an answer they're part of the official story, ergo it's canon)
    d) Consider CoMI, EfMI and ToMI non-cannon (Answer: You're right, they're not a kind of cannon)
    e) Consider the explanation for LCR's ending given on CoMI wrong/a lie/whatever since it wasn't given by Nor Treblig itself (Answer: It's all subject to interpretation, even what we saw and infer from LCR and what we are told in CoMI)
    f) It would be cool/great/excellent/better/whatever if Ron Gilbert could do an alternative MI3 (Answer: Cool, but pointless. Pissed off fans - probably like yourself - will complain even if a perfect, Ron Gilbert game comes out. If you're still set on complaining about the direction of CoMI and EfMI [And ToMI], it's your opinion, but we will all benefit more if you try to convince George Lucas into creating an alternate Star Wars Episode 1, with NO Jar-Jar, better plot, and less "technical" explanations of the Force, and call it "Enhanced Edition")

• I don't think it's Monkey Island 5 or Monkey Island 6 - it's just Tales of Monkey Island, let's stick with that.

• It's the fifth Monkey Island game to ever be physically made (not counting SMI:SE).

There. Move along. Move along.

• @jmm said: The problem is that not everyone has your knack for lateral thinking (and heavy ordinance)

Nah...
    It's a real pain to continue to see people still saying/posting one or more of the following:
    a) Where is MI5 (Answer: The real question is When. Real Answer: between EfMI and ToMI. OK THAT was a joke, ToMI is the Fifth MI game: PERIOD)

The problem is simply that TTG said multiple times that Tales is not MI5. A lot of people have heard that and not heard that they were joking. You can't hold it against somebody if they haven't encountered the "correct" information, just because they are utilizing the information they were given...Tales is MI5, but it will take time for everyone to filter through who heard the "MI6" joke and be directed to the "correct" information.

@jmm said: c) Consider CoMI, EfMI and ToMI non-canon (Answer: Regardless of what you'd like as an answer they're part of the official story, ergo it's canon)

That's what I said!

@jmm said: d) Consider CoMI, EfMI and ToMI non-cannon (Answer: You're right, they're not a kind of cannon)

p4wn3d. :cool:

@jmm said: It's the fifth Monkey Island game to ever be physically made (not counting SMI:SE).

Special Edition came out 15 July, Tales: LotSN came out 7 July. Tales is still 5th, no matter which way 'round you look at it. :p

• Fnerg, hack, squeegl!

This has got to be the worst argument ever! I don't particularly agree or disagree with any of the points made because in the majority of cases they're riddled with logical fallacy. The two worst being Straw Man argument (This is like this so it's wrong) and appeals to anonymous/ambiguous authority (Someone said blah blah blah, I read this article yada yada).

If someone would be so kind as to provide links to said press releases that would really help clear things up. The only real link was to an E3 video where a guy said tales is set after an "imaginary 5th game" and quotes from some guy named Jake (quoted but not referenced (as in linked to the original post/article/source)). I honestly don't think (in my own opinion) that this statement was intended to imply a space holder for a 5th game, but as I don't make such decisions that's just speculation.

Also the thread doesn't seem to have been answered (it sort of devolved into a debate about semantics) so I guess a rewording would be advised:

Are there any plans for any further games in the Monkey Island Franchise by anyone?

Geeze, gotta love net forums for blowing things out of proportion :S

Incidentally I loved Tales Of, the only thing I thought it was missing was a visit to monkey island, the cannibals, and Herman...oh and Murray doing a great big boo at the end of the game (seriously, long dark patch and no boo? Though I guess that may just have been my PC taking it's time loading)

EDIT: Oh, having forgotten the recent new year I've only just noticed what a terrible necromancer I am, sorry about that.

• wow no one has played mi5 before? jeez take a look at what your missing out on

MI5-fake.jpgcut scene sound

• @SHODANFreeman said: STOP SAYING THAT. STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT. THAT WAS A JOKE AAAAAAUAGHHGGAUHGAUHGUAHGUAHGUHAUGH

:headexplode:

I know! do these people expect games between each of the games too? Because each one kind of starts some time after the last game... I guess they should have made a game in between 1 and 2 about how GT got to scabb and between 3-4 showing their months long honeymoon.

Seriously each game hints at adventures prior to where we as the player starts.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Kalanac said: If someone would be so kind as to provide links to said press releases that would really help clear things up. The only real link was to an E3 video where a guy said tales is set after an "imaginary 5th game" and quotes from some guy named Jake (quoted but not referenced (as in linked to the original post/article/source)).

Jake is Jake Rodkin, who was the co-designer of all five episodes of Tales of Monkey Island.

Every quote on this forum references the original post. All you have to do to view the original post is to click on the little blue arrow next to the poster's name in the quote, and the entire original post from that quote will be brought up. :)

• @Irishmile said: I know! do these people expect games between each of the games too? Because each one kind of starts some time after the last game... I guess they should have made a game in between 1 and 2 about how GT got to scabb and between 3-4 showing their months long honeymoon.

Seriously each game hints at adventures prior to where we as the player starts.

Yup. MI2 clearly picks up that way reciting stories. MI3 picks up with him documenting the adventures he had escaping, while LeChuck was besieging another island.

MI4 I don't remember so much. I actually liked it but only played through it once. Had it on PS2 and the disc went bad, so I haven't been able to replay it, as I did obsessively with all the rest of the games.

• @Kalanac said: Are there any plans for any further games in the Monkey Island Franchise by anyone?

No such plans have been announced by anyone. LucasArts has changed presidents and restructured again, with the current president apparently focusing on other things, so we haven't seen what their current stance is on adventure games, but it is much less promising than it was last year. I think we'll probably have to wait until the next presidential roulette to see any news on the Monkey Island series, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

And the question of whether or not Tales "counts as MI5" is a separate (and largely irrelevant) issue.

Add Comment