User Avatar Image

Maniac Mansion / Day of the Tentacle

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

Alongside Sam & Max Hit the Road, these were my favourite games ever. Its yet another franchise I think LucasArts neglect. Who would like to see Telltale work some episodic magic on the Maniac Mansion series if Sam & Max is successful?

Some 3D art to give you an idea of what it could be like:

http://www.christerb.com/?page_id=21

Tom

176 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It all comes down to marketing, and I'd say there's bigger recognition 'out there' for DOTT than MM. Hence it makes more sense for a new game in the series to adopt the DOTT subtitle.

See also the Dark Forces series that adopted the Jedi Knight branding as it progressed.

The only thing that counts is generating sales, so the most recognisable title wins. Simple as that.

• To be fair though, the Indiana Jones series is mostly referred to by the directors as the Raiders series.

Also, DotT is a pretty poor name for a series, since the Day of the Tentacle was just one instance that has been avoided. Maniac Mansion would still be the better name, seeing as even DotT still took place in the aforementioned mansion.

• @Giant Tope said: LucasArts approached Telltale about it. I'm too lazy to get quotes right now.

Moving on from all the Rather Dashing-and-others initiated borderline off-topic ranting (yes, you don't like DOTT. We get it already!), can we get a little elaboration on this please? I've not heard about that.

• @LuigiHann said: You come across as being very angry, and I'm not attempting to provoke such a reaction. I haven't really played enough of the original Maniac Mansion to have any opinions regarding the relative quality levels of the games, but I will agree that Day of the Tentacle was much more of a "typical" adventure game where Maniac Mansion was (and still is) much more one-of-a-kind.

Oh no, don't take it as anger. I'm very passionate about Maniac Mansion as one of the greatest adventure games of all time from a design perspective, and I do get annoyed/miffed/perturbed when it's treated like "the imperfect prototype for Maniac Mansion that, God bless them, they just couldn't get quite right", or something of the sort. But I'm hardly *mad*, at least not at you in particular. =p

I'm more interested in discussing the logistics of sequel titles, since I find that interesting.

Then there's also Super Mario World => Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island => Yoshi's Island 2...
    and similarly: Super Mario Land => Super Mario Land 2 => Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 => Wario Land series...
    Those are perhaps more relevant than the Rambo and Indiana Jones ones because the new series title is rarely if ever retroactively applied to the earlier games in the series.

This is the one you "stuck to" the most(didn't make my argument against it for me), so I'll just say that this one is more of a case of early Nintendo of America localization, and btw isn't Yoshi's Island 2 just called Yoshi's Island DS? Granted, odd, and probably the best example, but still, not exactly "Branded" as a sequel.

@LuigiHann said: Moving on from all the Rather Dashing-and-others initiated borderline off-topic ranting (yes, you don't like DOTT. We get it already!), can we get a little elaboration on this please? I've not heard about that.

To be fair, on this forum "borderline off-topic" is staying relatively really well on-track(not that I *like* that, mind you, but it's at least the accepted norm).

Also, I definitely would have added something if I had something to add to that, but I honestly haven't sen anything of the sort and I couldn't find anything when I looked. I've read so many interviews, and I'm sure I've found a lot that says they'd LIKE to do another Maniac Mansion if they could, but not that there was an actual business discussion about it.

• @Rather Dashing said: This is the one you "stuck to" the most(didn't make my argument against it for me), so I'll just say that this one is more of a case of early Nintendo of America localization, and btw isn't Yoshi's Island 2 just called Yoshi's Island DS? Granted, odd, and probably the best example, but still, not exactly "Branded" as a sequel.

Wario Land is the best example, then. The wording is slightly different on the Japanese games, but the numbering and title changeover is identical, including the important Mario Land 2 => Mario Land 3 / Wario Land => Wario Land 2 transition.

• My siblings and I used to play Sam & Max: Hit the Road and Day of The Tentacle when we were young'uns and they were SOOOOO amazing!! Especially Day Of The Tentacle because it had the most awesome storyline and brilliant concept of playing characters in the past, present and future and that you had to flush certain items to each other in the time machine toilet in order to use in different time-zones. Also, what you did in the past would affect things in the present and future! It's THE most awesome game ever...please please please make a new one!!

There's LOADS of people here in England that would love to see another Day of the Tentacle as well. We just love tentacles over here! :p

• It was our (my siblings and I) favourite game when we were little along with Sam & Max Hit the Road. I would love love love to play another one. The concept of DOTT was AWESOME and soooooooo much fun to play!! There's loads of us over here in the UK that would just die of excitement (yes yes, I'm overexaggerating, but only slightly!) if another DOTT came out!!! Love it!!! It would probably be the best thing to happen since sliced bread... xx :p

• I want to be a masochist here and suggest that the series involves reality hopping.
    I think it would have the potential for lots of cool characters, cool puzzles and lots of cool environments to see.
    (Plus can play on the original's idea of having different characters and different endings along with the second one's time travelling puzzles)
    However it could also be mind bogglingly insane! >:D BWAHAHAAAA!

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Did some thread merging magic to have quite a lot of DotT requests combined in this here place. Threads from 2006, eh? I think I'll search for the Indy ones as well. I might have to post in these. :D

Add Comment