User Avatar Image

Paleontology

posted by Icedhope on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

In here we can talk about the latest discoveries and and or Fossil talk.

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @cobleymj said: Either you dont know what a scavenger is or you are an idiot

First post and already flaming?

Let's play nice, or it'll be a short stay.

• @cobleymj said: You try to disagree with someone who knows far more about the subject than you do. Why dont you educate yourself instead.

Why, yes I do. In-fact most paleontologists do it all the time, but by any means if I am wrong for making this theory. Please show me evidence and back it up, or Educate yourself on how a debate works. Any questions please feel free to PM me and we can discuss this further.

• jack horner has got to be among the, how should i say it? i'll go with "out of there" paleontologist. don't get me wrong he has a few good theory's about hadrosaurs and such but he doesn't know anything when it comes to rex. and i highly doubt the new torosaurus is triceratops news, triceratops is said to be bigger then torosaurus and i highly doubt they shrink.

in other news, they discovered a couple of new ceratopsians that lived on a "lost continent" called kosmoceratops and utahceratops.

• my tummybox feels broken :(

• It's the other way around: The Torosaurs is the Triceratops.

• I feel like I want to crack open all my old paleontology books and see how much has changed. They're about fifteen years old, so.... probably a lot.

• @Alcoremortis said: I feel like I want to crack open all my old paleontology books and see how much has changed. They're about fifteen years old, so.... probably a lot.

You make a good point Alcoremortis - the theory about how dinosaurs lived and behaved is always changing because it is so difficult to prove any single idea. New theories will be emerging all the time.

One useful way to try and validate theories is to look at how reptiles behave today. Certain species like crocodiles apparently haven't changed much over millions of years.

• @koiboi59 said: of course i know what a scavenger is. t-rex is not a scavenger. its an opportunistic feeder (meaning both). jack horner believes t-rex was a pure scavenger who never hunted. and there are tons of holes in this theory. he also claimed t-rex had bad eyesight.

There is no such thing as a 'pure scavenger' and Horner has never said this

@koiboi59 said: Why, yes I do. In-fact most paleontologists do it all the time, but by any means if I am wrong for making this theory. Please show me evidence and back it up, or Educate yourself on how a debate works. Any questions please feel free to PM me and we can discuss this further.

Taking into account all the evidence and formulating your own ideas, then discussing them, would lead to a debate

'I TRY TO DISAGREE WITH HORNER' is simply choosing to ignore all the evidence because you didn't like something he had to say

@koiboi59 said: jack horner has got to be among the, how should i say it? i'll go with "out of there" paleontologist. don't get me wrong he has a few good theory's about hadrosaurs and such but he doesn't know anything when it comes to rex. and i highly doubt the new torosaurus is triceratops news, triceratops is said to be bigger then torosaurus and i highly doubt they shrink.

in other news, they discovered a couple of new ceratopsians that lived on a "lost continent" called kosmoceratops and utahceratops.

He actually happens to be the most respected man in the field
    The MoR probably has the record for Tyrannosaur findings so I dont know where you get the 'doesnt know anything' idea
    And have you even read the trike paper?

• @cobleymj said: There is no such thing as a 'pure scavenger' and Horner has never said this

He actually happens to be the most respected man in the field
    The MoR probably has the record for Tyrannosaur findings so I dont know where you get the 'doesnt know anything' idea
    And have you even read the trike paper?

1. he said t-rex NEVER hunted. he honestly did say that. he said that t-rex was big only to scare of smaller carns from kills. he seriously believes it never hunted. you my "friend" need to relisten to what he says.
    2. he isn't a tyrannosaur expert. he was the one claiming t-rex had poor vision, weak arms, and never hunted. all 3 of those ideas aren't widely belive among the paleontology community. yes i read the trike-toro paper, and honestly i'm not completly convinced. i still don't totally believe in the dracorex-stygmoloch-pachycephalosaurus theory either. I even have some skeptocism on nannotyrannus being t-rex.
    3. Excuse me?!?!?!?! [mod edit - don't add inflammatory comments back in after similar ones have already been removed]

Add Comment