User Avatar Image

Songs that remind you of the Monkey Island series

posted by Debbie82 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

So what are your songs that remind you of the Monkey Island series? Me, I'm going with "She's Like Heroin" by System Of A Down, because some lyrics remind me of Elaine's craziness in the courthouse and elsewhere in ToMI Chapter 4, and of Guybrush being forced to wear a dress so he can come to Elaine's party (and probably charm her) in Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. :D

101 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I hate to double-post, but I'm bringing this back.

How about Nickelback's song "Feelin' Way Too Damn Good"? Sometimes the repeated lyric, "Something's gotta go wrong, 'cause I'm feelin' way too damn good," kind of fits Guybrush's personality and curiosity.

• Ooh, I've been meaning to post here for a while. I've been listening to 'The Islander' by Nightwish, and I can't help but think of Monkey Island each time. It's more the musical aspect of the song that reminds me of it, with that whole sea-shanty sound that it has.

But I guess the lyrics do remind me of Monkey Island as well. It makes me think about Herman Toothrot. It's just too bad the character's personality (humourous, odd, silly) doesn't exactly suit the serious, profound nature of the song.

• How about "Danger Line" by Avenged Sevenfold, another reminder of Guybrush's demise at the hands of LeChuck in ToMI Chapter 4? Here's an excerpt:

Now I find myself in my own blood
    The damage done is far beyond repair
    I never put my faith in up above
    But now, I'm hoping someone's there
    I never meant to leave this world alone
    I never meant to hurt the ones who cared
    And all this time I thought we'd just grow old
    You know, no one said it's fair
    Tell my baby girl that "It's alright"
    I've sung my last song today
    Remind the Lord to leave his light on for me
    I'm free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0nxBzdTahw

• @Debbie82 said: How about "Danger Line" by Avenged Sevenfold, another reminder of Guybrush's demise at the hands of LeChuck in ToMI Chapter 4? Here's an excerpt:

Now I find myself in my own blood
    The damage done is far beyond repair
    I never put my faith in up above
    But now, I'm hoping someone's there
    I never meant to leave this world alone
    I never meant to hurt the ones who cared
    And all this time I thought we'd just grow old
    You know, no one said it's fair
    Tell my baby girl that "It's alright"
    I've sung my last song today
    Remind the Lord to leave his light on for me
    I'm free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0nxBzdTahw

Yes, some of those lyrics do relate to Episode IV, especially "I never meant to hurt the ones who cared"; that particular lyric brings Morgan to mind. Because, although she brought Guybrush into De Singe, and was the reason for Guybrush being captured by the Flotsam citizens, she did feel sorry and she did end up caring for Guybrush afterward. And, of course, we remember that Guybrush's words to Morgan in Club 41 were far from nice or comforting.

Also, another piece of [very short] music that reminds me of Monkey island is 4:50 - 4:58 of Dream Theater's "Dark Eternal Night". It's almost like reggae (Dream Theater style, that is), and since most of the Monkey Island soundtrack has a reggae vibe, I can't help but be reminded of the series when hearing this particular snippet of music.

The rest of the song, however, sounds absolutely nothing like anything you would hear in Monkey Island :D.

• Any album by the Toucan Pirates.

• If we're talking about lyrics, I'm shamelessly gonna advertise for my brother's classic/prog rock band, Magic Pie, and their song on their upcoming album The Suffering Joy and throw a link to their MySpace site, and directly to the song Endless Ocean, in which the lyrics I'm a major contributor on (I wrote around 80% of them).

http://www.myspace.com/magicpiehome/music/songs/Endless-Ocean-mp3-78694773

Of course, I suggest you listen to the rest of the songs as well - three of them are from the new album.

;)

• There's nothing wrong with doing that, StarEye; they're a great band anyway. I've actually got "Pointless Masquerade" on my computer - pretty awesome song. I might have to buy one of their albums someday, being quite the prog fan myself.

• I don't know the name but...

"And then we'll find the giant sponge.
    At the voodoo curse, we lunge.
    A pirate killed me with a stab,
    But I had help from a lady with flab.

Ooooh, we'll look at everything.
    Ooooh, we'll comment on everything.
    I'm really glad your mine, not his.
    'Cause I heard he gives a bad kiss."

• @TomPravetz said: I don't know the name but...

"And then we'll find the giant sponge.
    At the voodoo curse, we lunge.
    A pirate killed me with a stab,
    But I had help from a lady with flab.

Ooooh, we'll look at everything.
    Ooooh, we'll comment on everything.
    I'm really glad your mine, not his.
    'Cause I heard he gives a bad kiss."

Wasn't that by Coldplay?

• @MrFerder said: Wasn't that by Coldplay?

Hmm... Quite possibly...

Add Comment