User Avatar Image

My Problem with Morgan LeFlay

posted by ToddD on - last edited - Viewed by 587 users

That's right, you probably haven't heard it before, so don't misread, I really just did imply that:

I don't like Morgan LeFlay.

Let me clarify something though: I LOVE the IDEA of Morgan LeFlay. I think a strong female pirate hunter is a great idea! But I also love Elaine but HATED Elaine in EMI. It's all about execution, you see.

Specifics:

Appearance Problem: She looks TOO conceptual. Concept sketches are fine, but she is borderline Anime and doesn't really fit in the canon based on her appearance.

Suggested Solution: Make her tough, make her hardened. Give her a scar and make her hair pulled back or in a bandana, no one could keep their hair like that on the open salty sea. She's a pirate hunter she has to get her hands dirty.

Sound Problem: With all due respect to her voice actress, I think the voice is TOTALLY off. It was acted fine, but I want an accent, or at least a scruffy scratch to her voice that suggests she's been around the block a few times and has been hardened. She sounds like a teacher from Fairly Odd Parents or any other Nickelodeon / kids show. I've always been of the school of thought that Guybrush should be the only American/Goofy sounded character.

Sound Suggestion: Give her an accent, you can make her sultry, that's fine, but make it period. Cockney accent would have worked PERFECTLY or cajun or caribbean would have worked too.

Conflict Problem: She is a pirate hunter but loves Guybrush. This conflict wasn't believable at ALL. She could switch to easily without hearing ANY conflict in her voice.

Conflict Solution: Make her less sane. When she must mentally address this conflict her sentences should trail off, her voice should change, and she should seem like she is having serious mental issues about this fundamental internal conflict.

HOPEFULLY, if they bring her back (I'm assuming they will based on the last scene), they will make her more hardened and much less cartoony.

Flame away, internet friends.

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I really don't get the "Morgan should look scruffy!" argument. Most of the main characters don't look scruffy, Guybrush doesn't, Elaine doesn't, Human LeChuck doesn't, (hell, even regular LeChuck isn't that scruffy) Winslow doesn't. Why should Morgan? If anything, the fact that all her clothes are intact just shows that she's a really good fighter, nobody's even been able to damage her clothing in a duel, let alone her.

• @Lonnie said: But thats the problem...shes a pirate hunter but looks too posh! LOL.

Id expect a Pirate Hunter (TM) to be posh and the pirates to be scruffy.

• @Lonnie said: shes a pirate hunter but looks too posh! LOL.

I'm digging the word.

@Lonnie said: I really don't get the "Morgan should look scruffy!" argument. Most of the main characters don't look scruffy, Guybrush doesn't, Elaine doesn't, Human LeChuck doesn't, (hell, even regular LeChuck isn't that scruffy) Winslow doesn't. Why should Morgan? If anything, the fact that all her clothes are intact just shows that she's a really good fighter, nobody's even been able to damage her clothing in a duel, let alone her.

It's weird. Some NPCs in LeChuck's Revenge looked so scruffy and the amount of scrufness (?) decreased in every game released after that one. Tales has the most cleanest pirates ever, except for the poxed ones, but I believe it's done to show a difference between "normal" pirates and "poxed" pirates.

Plus, she's a pirate hunter but she's also a BUSINESS WOMAN, you know, she's not jumping from job to job immediately, she waits and gets ready for her next one between her tasks. She has a steady income of piece o' eights too so I see no reason for her not to build a good fashion sense and get new clothes each time the old one is ruined when she's on a break. And during Tales' storyline I assume nothing really happened to her that would damage her clothes.

Plus that has the potential of earning the game a higher rating.

• I the only one who liked her voice?

• @Vira said: I the only one who liked her voice?

I liked it too.

• @Vira said: I the only one who liked her voice?

Niki Rapp has an awesome voice.

• @Falanca said: And during Tales' storyline I assume nothing really happened to her that would damage her clothes.

Plus that has the potential of earning the game a higher rating.

Like the intro to Bayonetta! (skip to 6:25) I had as much fun watching that game as my flatmate did playing it. Even if it does make no sense whatsoever.

Also, I really liked Nikki Rapp's voice acting as well.

• I liked Morgan's voice too, to be honest, true to my human elements.

• @Jen Kollic said: Like the intro to Bayonetta! (skip to 6:25) I had as much fun watching that game as my flatmate did playing it. Even if it does make no sense whatsoever.

Also, I really liked Nikki Rapp's voice acting as well.

LOL, wow. All hail gaming.

Add Comment