User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 9.6K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think I've said this once before somewhere, but what does Big Whoop have anything to do with the secret of Monkey Island? They are two different things. It was never mentioned anywhere in the games that they were connected in anyway , yet the explanation of the ending to MI2 has suddenly been connected to the secret? To me that just doesn't make sense.

• @Farlander said: Didn't the MI2:SE commentary reveal that it was mostly 'just for fun'? (by 'for fun' I mean 'for laughs', and by 'for laughs' I mean 'for people to laugh' :) ). Tim said they decided to use a twist after twist after twist just, you know, for kicks.

Okay, "just for fun" was not the correct choice of words. Obviously, they wanted the ending to confuse us (and amuse them). What I'm thinking, though, is that the whole idea of the universe, in this case the "secret", is just an overlay that the stories can be built around. Hence why Ron said that it's still possible to fit his story (that he wanted to be MI3 which he had in mind before CMI, but only after MI2 was released) into the series without discarding CMI.

So, since we have no idea what the secret was supposed to be, despite getting a lot of clues within both games, the way it is revealed was probably not set in stone, and the games needed to follow a certain set of rules so that it wouldn't crash with the "secret".

And the reason I think the "child in a an amusement park" doesn't work is because they've already stated that Big Whoop is exactly what the name implies. Completely irrelevant to the full picture. Considering Big Whoop is the name of the amusement park, it would be a pretty big deal if that was the secret.

So, by saying Big Whoop was never intended to be important, they're basically denying that the ending is important at all and only meant to confuse us. Which leads me to believe that a) Ron's MI3 would explain the ending very briefly then just continuing with the story or b) Ron's MI3 would just call it a dream that happened after Guybrush falls into the tunnels.

• @StarEye said: Maybe he didn't have the story worked out in his mind, but I don't think the ending was like that "just for fun". There's never been any indication wether the ending was meant to reveal anything or not, just that the ending was bold and Ron had to convince the others to use it. I'm fairly certain that the ending was made with a sequel in mind, and the ending was just another hint towards the bigger secret.

I think you have it slightly backwards.

I think there's no question that the ending was "just for fun". Specifically, it exists merely for the purpose of a barrel of Star Wars laughs.

However, they didn't want to permanently write themselves into a corner they couldn't get out of. Hence the evil-eyed Le Chuck and Elaine.

• @Polychrome said: I think you have it slightly backwards.

I think there's no question that the ending was "just for fun". Specifically, it exists merely for the purpose of a barrel of Star Wars laughs.

However, they didn't want to permanently write themselves into a corner they couldn't get out of. Hence the evil-eyed Le Chuck and Elaine.

Read my next post, and you will see what I meant.

• @Farlander said: That's a common misconception that while developing MI2 they had something planned for MI3 in mind. That's the point. They didn't. Even Ron didn't, he said somewhere himself he really never thought about MI3 until after MI2 was released (and even then it were just some vague ideas and stuff). And the ending in MI2 with red eyes/Elaine was put there just in case they decide to make a sequel, but they didn't plan it as a trilogy beforehand.

He didn't plan out what would be in the third game, but he did mention that he did expect to do a third game in which he would "explain everything that was going on [in the ending]." (14:14 of this). Not that this suggests that he had any sort of big idea as to what would happen (I'm not saying that because I know it's not the case). I just thought I'd point it our that he did plan on making a third game and coming up with some explanation and conclusion.

• @prizna said: I still say that Lechuck knew what he was doing and that it was a curse on Guybrush, how could there have been an MI 3 which we all know Ron had in mind if it was just a kids daydream.

I don't see how it could be any other way. LeChucks eyes glowing and then Elaine saying she hoped Guybrush wasn't put under a voodoo curse at the end. It seems obvious. LeChuck tricked Guybrush and placed a curse on him. His parents and the park were a illusion. That might be why LeChuck had the skeletons of Guybrushes parents in the caverns of Big Whoop. He planned this voodoo curse all along and something from the skeletons was needed to make the curse work.

The real question is how did Guybrush get out of it. I can imagine LeChuck making his parents talk little Guybrush on to deadly rides. Like the log ride down a waterfall. The roller coaster that's 'under repair'. Road warrior bumper cars!

Another big question is how Guybrush ended up in a bumper car in the ocean in Curse of monkey island if the amusement park was a illusion.

I'd love to see a side episode from TellTale to explain what happened between 2 & 3

Also what was with the card with the E on it ??

• @Banned User said: Also what was with the card with the E on it ??

That was actually a reference to Disney World.

• @StarEye said: That was actually a reference to Disney World.

wow. big whoop

• @Rather Dashing said:

And more than that, the idea that it's a curse just doesn't give the ending the proper significance. The problem with "it was all a dream" stories in TV and movies isn't the IDEA of something being false within the world of the fictional body of work. The main issue is that the "dream" is used to "undo" an event, like a character's death. A shocking event that rends the status quo into shreds. The problem is that to take such an event and to render it null and void takes that event's POWER away, they died and we cared for nothing. In the SAME way, the explanation in Curse robs our revelation at the end of LeChuck's Revenge null and void, when it was begging to be a far more important and powerful effect on the nature of the next game.

To say there is even more to it than meets the eye is interesting, for example Big Woop being the "Voodoo Crossroads" into the Monkey Island universe, where everything is a pirate fantasy, THAT is intriguing and interesting.

To say that it's just a trick, and that the end of the last game didn't matter, actually blunders RIGHT INTO the problems that make "it was all just a dream" endings so frustrating when it is used in other media.

*I just wrote a massive post on this, clicked submit, and it all disappeared. AAARGH! Apologies if this post appears more than once*

I agree 100%. And, what makes it more wonderful is that I think the "just kids at the themepark" theory is supported from the very beginning. I've only really started thinking about it today, but:

How does Monkey Island start? "My name is Guybrush Threepwood, and I want to be a pirate!"

As in "I'm not Bobby from Ohio, my name's Captain McZap and I want to be an astronaut!" (when I grow up / for the purposes of play). Ron Gilbert has stated that the idea that the player and character don't know what being a pirate entails is central to the game. A kid will say "Well, I know that a pirate's supposed to have a ship, and get into swordfights, and drink grog, but apart from that..."

Re. Voodoo Nexus: voodoo = the power of imagination/storytelling, which holds the entire world together. Big Whoop is the one thing that can break the spell. What happens when the pirates find the treasure? The game ends, and the kids go off and pretend to be Indiana Jones instead ;)

Factor in the following:
    *Anachronisms such as Stan's vending machine (and the very notion of a used ship salesman!) appear from the very start.
    *The cracks about Guybrush being "a little short for a pirate".
    *The cracks about Guybrush's name ("Stop it, you guys! It's a great pirate name! Mooooooom, they're making fun of me!")
    *The playground insults during swordfighting.

...and you end up at Guybrush (Guy? We'll never know his real name) and Chuckie at the theme park.

I'd never really given the ending much thought at the time, as I was about 9 or 10 - a little boy playing a game in which he's a little boy playing pirates, an idea which I really like. It's metafictional, quite a literary idea, and not something you're likely to find in today's games. Now I come to think of it all properly, though, it's mindblowing: like I just figured out The Usual Suspects 20 years later, or something!

Add Comment