User Avatar Image

Tracking My Game

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 3.6K users

Hold me accountable to finishing at least the background resources ok?

These are the first four sketches centering on the beginning village. They're all edge enhanced and without any line cleanup or color, so if they super rough, it's because this is the first stage of it.

Scan1.jpgScan2.jpgScan3.jpgScan.jpg

350 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Wow. That's pretty damn impressive! Way better then anything I could do.

I know how hard making a game can feel - I've been doing it bit by bit for ages now and I'm still barely off the ground - but if you hang in there, it will all start to come together and once it does, the drive to keep going becomes much stronger.

When it comes to character sprites, even something as simple as a 'walk left/right' animation can be enough to keep you going. The one I did is about 8 frames long, which is really all you need. Once you've done that, a 'walk forward' animation is another 8 frames, and a 'walk away' anim is third set of 8. That's 24 frames, and you've got your default movement animations sorted. You can do that over a weekend! And once you've got that done, it's not hard to spur yourself with the rest.

Do keep us updated with your progress, I'd love to see how you go with this.

• On the animation front I figured I could animate even less than that by simply mirroring some of the animation frames, but we'll see when I get there. My concern is just that it looks fluid, since the characters are being drawn by hand.

• Just a bit more complicated on this piece. Required more interior detail so took longer, but is the workshop above the Golden Anvil workshop that acts as a decoy against would be invaders. Framing the left is a chimney that will require color work and detail shading to differentiate from the stone pattern of the walls and floor. Thinking of making it red brick, with the floor and walls being gray and held by brown.

Scan8.jpg

• Carriage for travel from first town to next. Distant backgrounds need shadowing and detail in final production.
    Scan9.jpg

First attempt ever at drawing a horse. Cut/paste resource for carriage background.
    Scan10.jpg

Legs need work.

• @DAISHI said: On the animation front I figured I could animate even less than that by simply mirroring some of the animation frames, but we'll see when I get there. My concern is just that it looks fluid, since the characters are being drawn by hand.

Yeah, you just need to draw someone walking either left or right, since you can just mirror all the frames to get the opposite direction.

The horse looks great, especially for your first time drawing one!

• Scan11.jpg

Needs perspective adjustment especially on the right hand side.

• Protagonist's home. Table will most likely be redone, everything is is fairly consistent with what it will look like when the touch ups are done.

Scan2.jpg

• The forge for the Golden Anvil.

Scan.jpg

• Tavern at the second town protagonist visits.
    Scan5.jpg

Add Comment