User Avatar Image

Who must be the main villain in a new Monkey Island game?

posted by alkapel on - last edited - Viewed by 498 users

Who do you think must be the main villain in a new Monkey Island game, and why?

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @doodo! said: What would be the right way?

I suck at arguing my point. OK, So...

I meant if we were to see LeChuck's past or something in order to learn more about him, then it should be about how cruel and evil a man he was before dying. It shouldn't be about why he's being cruel and evil.

One of the things I truly adore about LeChuck's Revenge is that LeChuck really is evil. He stops at nothing to get his own back on Threepwood. And you know what? I love the ending of Revenge too, quite simply because it implies that LeChuck won. He got Threepwood in the end. He didn't kill him, but instead sort of trapped him for his amusement. (This is my take on the ending - I appreciate that it's a whole other subject, but I figured it was kind of relevent in this case as I was pointing out that LeChuck works great as a main evil character and that is where he should stay).

For fear of beginning to repeat myself I will finish by saying in short I do think that we have more to explore on LeChuck, and I do think he should stay the main evil character. He just needs to come back bigger and badder than ever.

• Sure, why not? I don't really care about my personal opinions. I try not to have them. But I let go just for fun. Just opinions, what does it really matter to any one, even yourself?

I'm just sure what conditioning opinions out of me is going to do, but it's happening. At least I believe that i believe that it is.

• I'm all for a new villain in the next game. The Voodoo lady seems like the obvious direction with the the last game's ending and I think it would be a fun twist if she used LeChuck as a slave. I can't imagine what her goal would be but I'm sure the writers will come up with something good.

I'll be happy if LeChuck takes a back seat next time. He has been a great villain for the series but the dude has a completely one track mind, everything he does is to be with Elaine and defeat Guybrush. The writers have done a great job coming up with different ways to tell this story but I think it has run its course. New villain, new direction please.

• Murray !

He's sick and tired of the abuse and has been plotting his revenge for years ..

• @Banned User said: Murray!

He's sick and tired of the abuse and has been plotting his revenge for years...

No. And here's why.

@Banned User said: I've heard people mention this before, and I just can't see it working, for several reasons.

See, Murray has always been characterized as over-ambitious and zealous, but unable to act upon those traits due to his current position (being just a skull). The whole situation/scenario is hilarious because it's so absurd. And his actual position that he's in is half what makes the character so hilarious and so likable. If he weren't in his unfortunate position as 'just a skull', then I'm afraid things would just feel strange - Murray's characteristics and personality have been built and shaped around his circumstances/position/situation. So, if he were to be put in a different position (i.e. given a body, and placed in a role where he's meant to be a 'threat'), then I'm afraid all of things that make up Murray's character would simply feel out-of-place.

Also, due to the way he's been characterized, Murray does not feel the least bit threatening... at all. We, as the audience, have been laughing at him since the moment we saw him. He laugh at him because he's completely incapable of doing anything that he wants to, or anything that he says he's going to do. He's a 'silly' sort of character, like the dart players, the figurehead, Mancomb Seepgood, Marco de Pollo, the lookout, Jumbeaux LaFeet - he's placed in the story for comedy and little else. So, if he were to be elevated to the role of 'main villain', that whole game would just feel way too frivolous, absurd, and the whole thing would just seem like one big joke. Murray isn't a character that can be taken seriously, and if he were to be put into a role where he was meant to be taken seriously, then the whole thing would just feel incredibly forced and far-fetched.

All-in-all, it simply wouldn't work. Murray is a great character to be used as a mouth for funny dialogue, a tool for interesting puzzles (as an inventory item), and occasionally as a minor character with a small significance in the story, but nothing else.

@Banned User said: Basically, it would destroy his well-established character and turn him into something that's not very interesting or funny anymore. He is much better as a minor regular that comes back as a comic relief or part of a puzzle.

• Ozzie was a lame excuse for a villain, they tried introducing a new antagonist but it just didn't have the charisma of LeChuck.

I'm not willing to let LeChuck go because I'm still waiting for a game where appearances by LeChuck transmit the sense of "dread" and eerieness that we saw in MI2. ToMI was great with the character but there wasn't really a sense of threat. That's the lift LeChuck needs... Being fearsome. (In the last games he has become to much of a goof)

A person's goals and desires change throughout life, so there's no reason why LeChuck's goals cannot change a bit throughout his "unlife".
    In ToMI we experienced so much dramatism with main characters, but LeChuck always seems cardboard (his undead form atleast). Give LeChuck more depth, develop his past a bit more, etc. There's still so much to be done with him, it only needs thinking outside the box.

• @SubSidal said: I'm not willing to let LeChuck go because I'm still waiting for a game where appearances by LeChuck transmit the sense of "dread" and eerieness that we saw in MI2. ToMI was great with the character but there wasn't really a sense of threat. That's the lift LeChuck needs... Being fearsome. (In the last games he has become to much of a goof)

Yeah, but, as some of us have already said, in order to achieve this, LeChuck must have a brief absence. The character is bound to lose the same creepy feel if he's included in five consecutive games, and is defeated the same amount of times.

As has been said, the guy needs a break, and then he needs to be brought back at an unexpected moment in time where he catches both the audience and the other MI characters off-guard.

• In the spur of the moment I voted LeChuck, because it's what I am used to and I didn't really think it through. But as I see it now, having him coming back and do the same all over again is really going to be dull.

So yeah, I agree with Hayden, there needs to be a new villain. A new change of pace, the whole rule the sea and have Elaine as my wife is getting old. If they have to bring him back, then they should change his motive a little like they did in Revenge, where all he could think about was to destroy Guybrush.

Maybe both LeChuck and Guybrush will get the same goal, to get out of the plans The Voodoo Lady has for them, as she seems to have some. And they have to work together at some point, even if they don't like each other.

So he can still be the main Evil, but still at the same time Guybrush has other things to struggle with, like in Tales where he had to get away from a crazy scientist. That was something different, and I really liked DeSinge.

Or as said, bring him back in the end as a surprise, like when Guybrush is finally going to destroy the the other evil person LeChuck shows up or something like that.

• I'd like to see Gov Phatt. You really ended up doing nothing with him in LeChucks revenge.

• Governor Phatt is way too fat (geddit) to even get out of bed, so that would be a bad choice for a main villain. He would have to control everything from a distance, all throughout the game. I don't see how the final "battle" will work.

Add Comment