User Avatar Image

Tracking My Game

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users

Hold me accountable to finishing at least the background resources ok?

These are the first four sketches centering on the beginning village. They're all edge enhanced and without any line cleanup or color, so if they super rough, it's because this is the first stage of it.

Scan1.jpgScan2.jpgScan3.jpgScan.jpg

350 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Tavern sideview. Needs a lot of polishing but is intended as little more than a cutscene break, so didn't bother with too much background.

Scan4.jpg

• Hayfield third location. Needs a lot of work.

Scan6.jpg

• So at this point the background roughs are halfway done. Got the first 18 done for half the story's 'rooms'. I'm anticipating about 18 more as the story transitions away from villages and towards the high pace of the story with conflict scenes in which the story gets into a tower defense and a battle at a town's perimeter. I'll work on those through the weekend and then be done with backgrounds. From there I'll move onto music. Last tackle will be animations.

• Barnyard, during when the protagonist is trying to get a horse to run away on.
    Scan7.jpg

• Those are some really cool drawings.

I can't wait to see them in colour! :D
    (one of my main hindrances is my inability to draw. So many a time I've had a good idea in my head I can't translate into pictures. Sad really...)

• Thanks a ton.

There's definitely a ton to do once the roughs are completed. Solidifying the lines and editing them in PSP will clean the images a lot so there won't be a need for edge enhancements (which is what is creating the rough look; at the current moment the drawings are too light to translate easily through the scanner).

Once the 'clean' sketches are in, it's just a matter of using the right color palette. In the last image above, of the fort, you see a circular pattern. This is actually the moon and I'm taking a straight borrow of the "Black Cauldron" pattern of coloring; deep blue and purple circular patterns around the moon itself in order to evoke a terrified mood. The presence of that particular moon is for the moments the enemy is near.

• Did this up real quick before bed. There's obvious a lot wrong here in terms of proportion and the right hand makes me cry. But this is just a slightly improved version of supporting protagonist 1 from the first page. This is roughly the 'vibe' and we'll refine the image itself once backgrounds are finished and it's time to start doing character compositions.

Scan11a.jpg

• A Dwarf home. One of the few 'clean' drawings that did not need several passes, probably due to the organic nature of the cave.

Scan10.jpg

Add Comment