User Avatar Image

No linearity, please...

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

I have noticed that both Bone games are really linear... all events go one after the other... now that's not the spirit of games previously designed and built by our great guys at telltale... i wish for the sam and max games to be like the hit the road one. A game that you can play for months because you don't know that a flask is usefull to fix a malfunctioning escelator... so despite me usually encouraging the story part of the game i wish it to be less story and more tricky puzzles.... and less help... (i don't like the help feature of the bone games...)

Thanks and i'm sure you'll make meny great games!!

Matt from Slovenia (the chicken like country east of italy)

71 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'm another one who would love the non-linear approach.. unfortunately I just don't see it happening.. You have to solve a case in a 2 hour game..how can that be done without forcing you to progress the story in a very direct path? :-/

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    For me, getting to do things in a non set order is WAY down my 'wishlist'. [/quote]

But it is on your wishlist. It's on mine, too. :D

I agree though, non-linearity such as that in the Great 3:-O Race isn't really that important to me. That's a whole different beast than these extra things to do. This topic is discussed in the gameplay thread, too.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I guess this could come under non-linearity...

A really cool thing about the original Sam and Max was the whole map idea, there wasn't just one big area you had to keep exploring until you got to move on to the next big area, there were lots of small areas you could keep coming back to. I think Telltale have already said there isn't going to be a map but it would be cool if there was the same idea of small areas you could go back to. If places turned up from past episodes that would be a great 'ooo I regognise that place' moment (Or even places from Hit the Road, bring back Snuckey's! :D )

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Well, for me, Sam & Max is about the humour, not necessarily about the interactivity. Sure, interactivity is cool, but it is not inherent to Sam & Max, because it's a comic first and foremost. And as much as I'd love to have all those little nooks and crannies to explore, I just don't see it happening with 2-hour episodes. So I'll just see what Telltale throws at us, and as long as it has Sam & Max's trademark insane humour, you won't hear me complaining.[/quote]

Ah yes I rather agree with that. I love the warning sticker on the box, about twisted humor, that was funny. The first thing I did was explore on hit and run (I do it on EVERY adventure game, you never know...) so I found out about going into bosco's store in the first 2-5 minutes of gameplay (excluding the intro and credits). Even if interactivity isn't a must, well, it must be there to be a game of the sorts :)) .

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]As for easter eggs, consider some of the added animations in The Great Cow Race, like when Fone Bone looks under the pot in Gran'ma's yard, or Phoney tries to straighten the picture in the tavern. These aren't exactly easter eggs, but they're along the same lines, and they're very easy to program into the game in 3D, using Telltale's engine.[/quote]

Thanks, the reassurance that its do-able and there will be "some" is pleasing to hear. I would like to somehow press you guys to jam as much in as possible but I guess I wont be raising my expectations so far. If you cant give us true non-linearity, jamming it with millions of cool additives will be the next best thing.

I havent played Great Cow Race yet.. I intend to after my Final Exams.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]i wish it to be less story and more tricky puzzles.... [/quote]

I couldn't disagree with this more strongly. If the story is going to be sacrificed for the sake of non-linearity, then I might as well play an MMORPG. Story in adventure games is vital. If you want to tell a story in an interesting way, there has to be some form of linearity. A non linear game just allows you to solve all the puzzles in any order, at which it stops becoming a story and ends up simply being a collection of puzzles.

[quote]and less help... (i don't like the help feature of the bone games...)
    [/quote]

This, however, I couldn't agree more with.

• Well why don't you two just turn the Help feature off in the Bone setup page?

I don't care for it either personally, so I turned it off. But no doubt many people find it extremely useful. And it has varying degrees of hints to really nudge you in the right direction before giving you any outright solutions.

I though it it was extremely well implemented. Though maybe in Sam & Max it should be Off by default, rather than On as in Bone.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I want a story, otherwise I'm going to hate everything.

(Don't you love posts like these?)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    I though it it was extremely well implemented. Though maybe in Sam & Max it should be Off by default, rather than On as in Bone.[/quote]

That's a very good point. It should be turned Off by default. Otherwise weak minded people such as myself might resort to it if it's looming in the bottom right corner by default.

I'm not kidding, it really should be off by default and I think it would be a substantial change. It might sound silly, but not everyone changes the options at all from the default ones. If it would be turned off normally, there would be a higher treshold to use it and players would try harder to solve the puzzles by themselves, thus giving additional play time and more rewarding experiences.

• Remember that Bone is intended for a slightly different audience... people who might not necessarily be familiar with adventure games. The tutorial is on by default, too, for the same reason. I personally find this annoying, and I turn it off the first chance I get. :D But in the case of the Bone games, we'd rather reach that audience right off the bat. It's not so hard for experienced adventure gamers to go into the options and turn them off. ;)

Interesting idea to change the defaults in Sam & Max, though. And for all I know, it might even be something the designers are already planning to do.

Add Comment