User Avatar Image

Reccomend me a graphics card.

posted by Gman5852 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Hello telltale peoples.
I am currently in need of a new graphics card for plenty of reasons, such as better performance on my online games.

And like always, Im asking you for technical help.
I have a PC Toshiba Laptop, if that means anything.
Thanks for all that can help me:p

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @The Gentleman said: I bought a graphics card capable of playing every game for £45.

ATI Radeon HD 4650.

I have that. I like it.

@The Gentleman said:
    What games have you been able to play with that?

I can play ToMI at 9 without any issues.

I think it defaults S&M3 to 6 or 7, but that's no big deal.

• Hey with my system specs, would I be able to use that one card I posted earlier?

• @Gman5852 said: Hey with my system specs, would I be able to use that one card I posted earlier?

That DXdiag doesn't show your power supply's maximum wattage (at least I didn't see it) so I googled Dell Dimension 3000 specs, since that's what you have.

Dell says your current power supply handles up to 250W of power. The nVidia card link you posted and also the specs for the Radeon HD 4650 both recommend for you to have at least a 400W power supply; (the nVidia card is capable of pulling up to 105W.) Suffice it to say that you do need to upgrade your power supply before you buy a new video card.

I also notice that you only have 512MB of RAM (only upgradable to 2GB), an 80GB HDD and 3 PCI expansion slots.

EDIT: ... I really do hate to say it, but sometimes you have to consider the limitations of your motherboard and get a new computer instead of upgrading (it's the 2GB RAM limit and only 3 PCI slots that stand out for me.)

• @Chyron8472 said: That DXdiag doesn't show your power supply's maximum wattage (at least I didn't see it) so I googled Dell Dimension 3000 specs, since that's what you have.

Dell says your current power supply handles up to 250W of power. The nVidia card link you posted and also the specs for the Radeon HD 4650 both recommend for you to have at least a 400W power supply, as it says that card is capable of pulling up to 105W. Suffice it to say that you do need to upgrade your power supply before you buy a new video card.

I also notice that you only have 512MB of RAM (only upgradable to 2GB), and an 80GB HDD. =\

Ok on the power supply, but what about the RAM, is that bad.

You guys REALLY are making me feel like I know nothing about computers here.

• @Gman5852 said: Hey with my system specs, would I be able to use that one card I posted earlier?

No, you wouldn't be able to use any of the cards mentioned so far. With your P4 2.8Ghz you won't be able to take full advantage of a GeForce 8800GT, it's a faster card than your processor can supply data to...

But that's not your biggest problem. From what I can tell about a Dell Dimension 3000, it has no AGP or PCIe slot. You're going to have use a PCI card and your gaming performance would be severely limited by that.

EDIT: Any dedicated card would be better than your current graphics, though. What games, specifically, are you wanting to play?

• @Gman5852 said: You guys REALLY are making me feel like I know nothing about computers here.

I'm not saying that.

I'm saying that your power supply needs upgrading and your hard drive is somewhat small, but more concerning is that your RAM maxes out at 2GB (yes 512MB is not much) and your motherboard only has 3 PCI expansion slots... regular PCI expansion slots, not PCI-e (which does affect your video card choices, actually).

I'm concerned that your motherboard may be too old to warrant upgrading peripherals for it instead of replacing it.

I really don't like saying that, but it's true.

• on the OTHER hand... if you were to buy a new desktop, you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a decent one. I built mine mostly from parts I bought online, and I think the whole thing cost me about $450.

...granted I already had a good monitor, but still.

• I understand that you are not an expert at computers, but a page worth of driver locations is not helping, just press the windows key + pause/break to bring up your system specs

• @figmentPez said: No, you wouldn't be able to use any of the cards mentioned so far. With your P4 2.8Ghz you won't be able to take full advantage of a GeForce 8800GT, it's a faster card than your processor can supply data to...

But that's not your biggest problem. From what I can tell about a Dell Dimension 3000, it has no AGP or PCIe slot. You're going to have use a PCI card and your gaming performance would be severely limited by that.

EDIT: Any dedicated card would be better than your current graphics, though. What games, specifically, are you wanting to play?

Tf2, Magicka, and the Half life series mainly.
    My Laptop seems to handle most games, just not certain games like these.

All right, so what is the dedicated graphics card you talk about?

• @Gman5852 said: Tf2, Magicka, and the Half life series mainly.
    My Laptop seems to handle most games, just not certain games like these.

All right, so what is the dedicated graphics card you talk about?

Basically, all computers have Graphics Card, but most ones are Integrated and share Memory with the Virtual Memory, resulting in less available memory for Video at all. Dedicated does not share memory, leading to a much smoother and higher resolution performance.
    You mentioned Source Games, so I'd start there. Source isn't that demanding, and Magicka lies in it's reccomended specs (runs fine for me, much lower card). Basically, pretty much anything is better then what you have, but the computer you have doesn't seem to be that great for dedicated gaming at all.

Add Comment