User Avatar Image

Heavy Rain inspired gameplay

posted by Woodsyblue on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

The Game Informer article said that the gameplay in Jurassic Park is going to be inspired by Heavy Rain.

Applying the Jurassic Park license to the storytelling systems Telltale has created in past games makes sense to a degree, but in our conversations with the team they kept coming back to Quantic Dreams’ Heavy Rain. “While our story is more linear than Heavy Rain, actions the player takes are reflected in the way the story is told,” Boyle says. “The choices the players make result in changes to the details of the story. Players will know we are paying attention to the decisions they make.”

Telltale is also heavily inspired by Heavy Rain’s gameplay mechanics. The team is still figuring out how actions are presented to the player, but Boyle says Telltale is approaching the task with “more focus on cinematic presentation of your interactions.” Expect plenty of investigating and looking around in the slower-paced gameplay sections, but when the tension escalates to life and death scrambling, the gameplay shifts from selecting destinations to immediate response.

(If you haven't read the article yet you can find it here.)

I don't own a ps3 so I've never played Heavy Rain but if they had released it on PC or 360 I'd would have picked it up in a heartbeat. (For the record I don't actually own a 360, my friend's brother works for Microsoft and they gave him one when he finished his internship and I just sort of inherited it because I have the nicest TV and game playing area of all my friends.) From what I've seen in the videos is that it looks heavy on the quick time events. Also, I hear that decisions in the game are final, like if a character dies, even a main character, they stay dead.

So what do people think of this change in direction from the more traditional adventure game formula Telltale usually employs? I for one like the idea, partly because I never got to play Heavy Rain and would like to get a taste of what the gameplay was like. I also think it would work better for a franchise like Jurassic Park were the element of danger can't be ignored.

160 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My sister isn't a gamer and she loves heavy rain. I told her that Jurassic Park was going to be done in the spirit of Heavy Rain and she is excited for that.

The whole family will play JP and they aren't all gamers. Not all the game play of Heavy Rain is the same it has 23 endings or so, no other game has that really...you can say it's battle screeens or whatever you want to call them are limited, poorly designed but this game is awesome, so will JP be if it can even live up to this game...

Yes, 23 endings is a lot to program esp if you swtich back and forth in between of chracters. Have you ever programmed anything before? The idea is complete insanity, it's hard enough to soup 23 endings into a story with a few characters you don't switch around to BY CHOICE let alone soup together 150 different choices by switching back and forth characters and creating about 150,000 different endings/stories...

• I'm not sure the problem is the 23 endings of Heavy Rain.

They talked about gameplay, not amount of endings. And the Heavy Rain-based gameplay is what concerns me and many others.

• Well, the question isnt if Heavy Rains QTE-based gameplay itself is good or bad, it surely works if the game only focuses on characters or story and the QTEs come varied enough and have a real impact on story and ending, I dont think the amount of endings and replay-value is any indicator of how good a game is. Heavy Rains gameplay is an interesting way for interactive storytelling.

The question is if it works for Jurassic Park! If telltale would do any other license or something new with this kind of gamplay I would say "Hey cool, new design experiments, interesting!" BUT this will probably be the LAST official Jurassic Park game, and I want the best experience possible.

Especially in license based games the main goal is to immerse the player in the universe, they wanna be IN the movie, thats why they playing the game! I just dont think QTEs can create this kind of immersion compared to direct control gameplay. They can be used for making something like being in the car while the T-Rex is wrecking it or for important scenes that cannot be really expressed in traditional gameplay, but I want to control the character when fleeing from the T-Rex or sneaking past raptors, I dont want to watch it and press some buttons, it just feels different!

• LOL, I don't know why I dreamt up my right to have a subjective opinion of something that's not even playable yet, anyways. Using Heavy Rain as a comapirision is a socially functional thing to do here but there's really more opinions going around here than anything else. Which is fine, that's ok. It's that I am attracted towards a different approach.

I agree to disagree, I think that's one of my favorite things ever invented. Truly, I love that.

• I personally loved Heavy Rain for the amazing cinematic effect it offered! If TellTale decides to do this, they really need to stick to the story.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

This new quote from Ron Gilbert at the Game Forum Conference in Germany actually reflects my feelings pretty much:

I hated Heavy Rain. (...) I felt like I was watching a movie and then they were just telling me to pause and play and pause and play and pause and play... and I just... I didn't enjoy it. I can respect some of the technical things they did (...) I certainly hope that's not the future of adventure gaming.

Link to interview (beware! hideous German accents!), 10:50

• You can always borrow the framework from somewhere else and still make changes where they are needed or fix shortcomings.

• @Vainamoinen said: This new quote from Ron Gilbert at the Game Forum Conference in Germany actually reflects my feelings pretty much:

I hated Heavy Rain. (...) I felt like I was watching a movie and then they were just telling me to pause and play and pause and play and pause and play... and I just... I didn't enjoy it. I can respect some of the technical things they did (...) I certainly hope that's not the future of adventure gaming.

Hooray for Ron Gilbert!

I don't necessarily dislike QTE -- like any other gameplay element, I've seen them done well and I've seen them done poorly (though my experience with them is only in action-adventure games; I've never played an otherwise "pure" adventure that used QTE and I haven't played Heavy Rain). When done well and in moderation they can be kind of fun to watch, as your character does things it wouldn't otherwise be able to do under direct control. QTE are nice as an occasional enhancement, a kind of slightly-more-interactive substitute for cutscenes.

But I can't imagine I would enjoy a game where QTE are used as the primary game mechanic, a substitute for direct-control and puzzle-solving mechanics. That would make the game nothing but cutscenes and slightly-more-interactive cutscenes. As a gamer, I would say that's not really a game at all.

I really don't know what to expect from Telltale or what they're going to do with JP.

• @thom-22 said: I don't necessarily dislike QTE -- like any other gameplay element, I've seen them done well and I've seen them done poorly (though my experience with them is only in action-adventure games; I've never played an otherwise "pure" adventure that used QTE and I haven't played Heavy Rain). When done well and in moderation they can be kind of fun to watch, as your character does things it wouldn't otherwise be able to do under direct control. QTE are nice as an occasional enhancement, a kind of slightly-more-interactive substitute for cutscenes.

But I can't imagine I would enjoy a game where QTE are used as the primary game mechanic, a substitute for direct-control and puzzle-solving mechanics. That would make the game nothing but cutscenes and slightly-more-interactive cutscenes. As a gamer, I would say that's not really a game at all.

I really don't know what to expect from Telltale or what they're going to do with JP.

I believe the idea is it will be a standard adventure game but at scenes of danger and tension it will swap over QTE cinematic style cut-scene, though I could easily be mistaken.

Add Comment