User Avatar Image

Reccomend me a graphics card.

posted by Gman5852 on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Hello telltale peoples.
I am currently in need of a new graphics card for plenty of reasons, such as better performance on my online games.

And like always, Im asking you for technical help.
I have a PC Toshiba Laptop, if that means anything.
Thanks for all that can help me:p

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @figmentPez said: No, you wouldn't be able to use any of the cards mentioned so far. With your P4 2.8Ghz you won't be able to take full advantage of a GeForce 8800GT, it's a faster card than your processor can supply data to...

But that's not your biggest problem. From what I can tell about a Dell Dimension 3000, it has no AGP or PCIe slot. You're going to have use a PCI card and your gaming performance would be severely limited by that.

EDIT: Any dedicated card would be better than your current graphics, though. What games, specifically, are you wanting to play?

Tf2, Magicka, and the Half life series mainly.
    My Laptop seems to handle most games, just not certain games like these.

All right, so what is the dedicated graphics card you talk about?

• @Gman5852 said: Tf2, Magicka, and the Half life series mainly.
    My Laptop seems to handle most games, just not certain games like these.

All right, so what is the dedicated graphics card you talk about?

Basically, all computers have Graphics Card, but most ones are Integrated and share Memory with the Virtual Memory, resulting in less available memory for Video at all. Dedicated does not share memory, leading to a much smoother and higher resolution performance.
    You mentioned Source Games, so I'd start there. Source isn't that demanding, and Magicka lies in it's reccomended specs (runs fine for me, much lower card). Basically, pretty much anything is better then what you have, but the computer you have doesn't seem to be that great for dedicated gaming at all.

• @Ribs said: Basically, all computers have Graphics Card, but most ones are Integrated and share Memory with the Virtual Memory

most? most mid to low-end name brand PCs, maybe.

@Ribs said: All right, so what is the dedicated graphics card you talk about?

Basically, dedicated (in this case) means that the device (ie. video card) is physically wired into the motherboard and often shares the memory that the motherboard uses; as opposed to a video card peripheral which is separate from the motherboard, uses its own memory and plugs in to the motherboard via an expansion slot.

Dedicated video cards cannot be replaced as they are physically attched to the motherboard, but could possibly be disabled (depending on the motherboard) so that it doesn't use up RAM if you used a different video card peripheral instead.

Still, the fact that you only have PCI expansion slots continues to concern me. The commonly used expansion slot nowadays is called PCIe (PCI Express), which is better than AGP (the previous standard), which is also better than PCI.

• @Ribs said: Basically, all computers have Graphics Card, but most ones are Integrated and share Memory with the Virtual Memory, resulting in less available memory for Video at all. Dedicated does not share memory, leading to a much smoother and highe
    You mentioned Source Games, so I'd start there. Source isn't that demanding, and Magicka lies in it's reccomended specs (runs fine for me, much lower card). Basically, pretty much anything is better then what you have, but the computer you have doesn't seem to be that great for dedicated gaming at all.

Yeah well, my laptop was what I was using for dedicating gaming, but as of late, it just fails at games such as half life, tf2, and magicka, but if I cant do anything there, than I thought my Desktop which wasnt for gaming, but more work and printer oriantated stuff, hence why it isnt good on gaming.

@Ribs said: most? most mid to low-end name brand PCs, maybe.

Basically, dedicated (in this case) means that the device (ie. video card) is physically wired into the motherboard and often shares the memory that the motherboard uses; as opposed to a video card peripheral which is separate from the motherboard, uses its own memory and plugs in to the motherboard via an expansion slot.

Dedicated video cards cannot be replaced as they are physically attched to the motherboard, but could possibly be disabled (depending on the motherboard) so that it doesn't use up RAM if you used a different video card peripheral instead.

Still, the fact that you only have PCI expansion slots continues to concern me. The commonly used expansion slot nowadays is called PCIe (PCI Express), which is better than AGP (the previous standard), which is also better than PCI.

So in other words, Id be better off with a new Desktop altogether then?

• Unfortunately, yes.

However, as I said, you don't need to spend a ton of money to get a decent machine if you know what to look for.

Which is to say that if you buy a Dell, you're paying in part for tech support and marked up prices on RAM.

• @Chyron8472 said: most? most mid to low-end name brand PCs, maybe.

Just stop talking. Most computers sold are low-end PCs. The market for gaming PCs and powerful workstations is small compared to the amount used to surf the web and do basic business apps. Even a lot of laptops with AMD or nVidia graphics still share main system memory instead of having dedicated graphics RAM.

You don't know what you're talking about. Integrated graphics are the ones on the motherboard, because the graphics chip is integrated into the system. Dedicated graphics are ones that are on a separate board dedicated to graphics, or have their own memory dedicated to graphics.

• @Gman5852 said: Tf2, Magicka, and the Half life series mainly.
    My Laptop seems to handle most games, just not certain games like these

Well, you don't have enough RAM for Magicka. Between maxing out the RAM your motherboard can handle, and getting a decent graphics card, you'd be spending a fair amount of money for not a lot of benefit. You'd be better off saving up for a new PC, IMO.

TF2 might run on the RAM you have, I'm not sure how much it's memory footprint has increased with all the added items, hats and other fancy stuff added. It's probably not going to run great on 512MB of RAM.

The HL series would probably run pretty well with just the addition of a $50 graphics card, up until you hit HL2:ep2. That last one I'm not so sure about running well on just 512MB of RAM.

• @figmentPez said: Well, you don't have enough RAM for Magicka. Between maxing out the RAM your motherboard can handle, and getting a decent graphics card, you'd be spending a fair amount of money for not a lot of benefit. You'd be better off saving up for a new PC, IMO.

TF2 might run on the RAM you have, I'm not sure how much it's memory footprint has increased with all the added items, hats and other fancy stuff added. It's probably not going to run great on 512MB of RAM.

The HL series would probably run pretty well with just the addition of a $50 graphics card, up until you hit HL2:ep2. That last one I'm not so sure about running well on just 512MB of RAM.

And theres my answer, so far it seems Ill just do that. Of course I am more or less broke on electronics due to the 3ds and games and all, but that this is what Ill do.

• 1) Increase the total memory: 512 mb of ram are just too few. I suggest AT LEAST 1gb, better 2 or 4. And your system will litterally fly after it.
    2) Update your OS: Service pack 2? You need to activate windows updates! Really! It's free!
    3) After 1) and 2) you can buy any video card around 50$ - yeah, more you pay and fastest it will be, but be aware that more expensive high-end models needs additional power. I suggest Nvidia, it has less compatibility problems.

With 100$ more or less you'll have some quite good performance for Telltale Games.

• @Gman5852 said: What games have you been able to play with that?

TF2 on highest graphics.
    Crysis on medium.
    Telltale games on quality 9.

I haven't found an unplayable game yet.

Add Comment