User Avatar Image

Anyone here fan of Comic books/graphic novels?

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 572 users

We had a topic for animation so why not for the comic books? I mean surely enough Sam and Max as well as Bone are based on comics or if you want a better term for it "graphic novels". I think it would be best for a topic on graphic novels. So what are your favorite graphic novels? Also you can talk about comic book to film adaptions(like Spider-man, the xmen movies, etc) including the animated adaptions(like the DC direct to video movies).

Bone was one of the first graphic novels I've read, I've always loved it since i first read it. Great characters, as well as a great story. Too bad the film of it isnt 2D animated, it would have been better than that motion crapture treatment its getting.

Aside from the Bone series I happen to be a fan of Frank Miller's Sin City. I've always enjoyed stories regarding on private eyes through the hard times as well as city based locations. The film of Sin City is fantastic, and is one of the few movies that is based on a comic that I have enjoyed other than Scott pilgrim. I also enjoy Scott Pilgrim(there are two monkey island references in it if anyone hasn't read it, but I get the feeling some people on here have read it). Also I am a fan of The spirit. But i HATE Millers take on it. Brad Bird would have done a whole lot better compared to what Frank miller did. Same goes for Howard the Duck and Tank girl. I like the comics, but the movies are terrible.

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Everyone hates Frank Miller's take on The Spirit. I strongly urge you to watch Film Brain & Linkara's review of it here. Very funny look at a terrible, terrible film.

I have a passing interest in comics. I don't have a huge range (just the Essential Spider-Man collections and the first few Ultimate Spider-Man graphic novels), but my Dad gets the Teen Titan and Moon Knight graphic novels and I always enjoy reading those.

I prefer to read proper novels based on well-known franchises (Indiana Jones and James Bond, primarily, but once they're read I'm sure I'll move onto something else), but I do enjoy the comic form. The novelization of The Death of Superman (y'know, this one) was quite good, if you like that sort of thing.

But yeah. Comics are good, but hard to find in the UK. And expensive. Always seem too expensive to me. But then, everything does. I'm just old fashioned like that. (I'm 26. What's wrong with me?)

• I haven't read many, but there are a few I really like, usually a bit on the darker side.

I think my favourites would be 'Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth' (how could you not love something with a subtitle like that? :P) by Grant Morrison, 'The Killing Joke' by Alan Moore and also 'Watchmen' by Alan Moore (also one of my favourite films, but when I ordered the comic it came in German, GERMAN! o_O).

I've always wanted to read the Sin City graphic novels but never got around to it, also The Spirit - I didn't really get the film, but I could the general feeling that it would work well as a graphic novel, it just had the sort of feel to it, if I'm making the slightest bit of sense? :P

Also do online comics count? I always liked Bleedman's 'Grim Tales.' :)

And of course Sam & Max <3

• Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing is one of my top 5 things in any medium, and I thought I had no interest whatsoever in that type of character. It is incredible. It starts off with a really interesting re-telling of the origin of the creature. There are a lot of traditional "horror" elements early on (as with early Sandman). It becomes a really solid superhero comic for a while...

The character continues to evolve, and just when you think it's getting tiresome, a famous DC character makes an awesome cameo and changes everything. The series goes in a direction you never could have imagined, and continues to surprise you up to the end of Moore's run. His run is collected in I believe six volumes, starting with Saga of the Swamp Thing. If you get bored towards the middle of the series, stick with it - trust me.

The philosophical issues that it gets you to think about are fascinating.

Sandman is a standard top 3 recommendation, and of course it's good, but in my mind Alan Moore's Promethea explores many similar elements (story, myth, philosophy, etc.) in a much more interesting and intelligent way. Not necessarily a great place to start with comics (I would recommend Sandman first actually), but really pushes and explores the limits of the medium once you get your bearings. Incidentally, there is also a brief cameo in Promethea from an old fairy tale character who turns out to be a total badass. I guess Moore does cameos well.

Watchmen by the way is also not a great place to start. You're supposed to be somewhat familiar with comics and the superhero genre first.

• Aside from Calvin and Hobbes and the goon(Which i've heard is getting an animated film.) nothing much. Anyone know when the heck the goon movie is coming also, what about Doug tennapel's stuff? His stuff any good?

@Leplaya said: Also I am a fan of The spirit. But i HATE Millers take on it. Brad Bird would have done a whole lot better compared to what Frank miller did.

I almost thought you were joking. But as I googled it, I was not only surprised but dumbfounded by a poor choice by the executives. You can read about it here.
    http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/movie-news/4450-brad-birds-qthe-spiritqwhat-couldve-been.html

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

I read Doctor Who religiously- or at least I did, while I lived in the United States where it was difficult to get but at least one could special order it. I also like Watchmen, Hellboy, Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, Looking For Group, and Sam and Max (of course!).

Webcomics? I read only xkcd, VGCats, Penny Arcade, and Strange Candy. Considering Strange Candy is only once weekly, and VGCats is "whenever Scott makes a comic", it's not much. I consider Looking For Group in the former category only because I only have read the hardcover collections, despite it being a webcomic.

• I have more comic books than i want to try to count. But I'm not a huge fan.

• I have to give a shout-out to "Transmetropolitan." Hunter S. Thompson in the future? What's not to like? ;)

• I've recently started reading The Question by Dennis O'Neil and Rick Magyar. Great stuff!

I started reading comics and graphic novels when I started study at college. Among my favorites are The Unwritten, V For Vendetta, Persepolis, Batman: The Long Halloween an Kingdome Come

@RAnthonyMahan said: I have to give a shout-out to "Transmetropolitan." Hunter S. Thompson in the future? What's not to like? ;)

It's awesome

• I own a huge selection of comics from issues of the 1940s Brave and the Bold up to the Darkest Day event. I mostly own DC stuff, though I do have a few Marvel issue (Generally Deadpool or Ghostrider) along with the odd Wildstorm, Darkhorse or Image Comic (Mostly their stuff tying into the 200x He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series).

Also worth mentioning: Kingdom Come, a 1996 Elseworlds graphic novel by Mark Waid and Alex Ross. Waid does a really fantastic job creating an interesting narrative along with some great genuine conflicts and Alex Ross' art style is a gorgeous thing to behold. It's definitely one of the best Elseworlds comics out there. Of course I like the obscure Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (Steampunk Batman), so my tastes aren't exactly standard.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Yay, I'm in.

As for comics, I'd of course second Calvin & Hobbes and Foxtrot.

Now for the graphic novel. The Blacksad series by Juanjo Guarnido have incredible visuals.

Blankets, an autobiographic 600-page comic by Craig Thomson, was impressive to say the least.

The novels by good ol' Will Eisner are released in anthologies nowadays, grab a copy of Life on Dropsie Avenue to experience an early pinnacle of the art form that has lost nothing of its appeal.

And who could live without Maus, the Pulitzer-winning graphic novel retelling the life of author Art Spiegelman's father in Poland under Nazi rule?

Marjane Satrapi's comic autobiography Persepolis is shocking and amusing at the same time, and she really achieves what she wanted to: the reader's understanding of the Iranian people.

Recently, Alex Alice's Siegfried has taken some interesting, dark fantasy paths towards a very old story. As far as I know, there's no English translation yet.

SiegfriedNorm.jpg

The by far most impressive release in recent years, however, was Shaun Tan's "The Arrival". Not one written word, and all so clear. So incredibly recognisable, and still all new and strange. And the art quality surpassed my wildest dreams throughout the book. (Edit: Just found out that the author is actually nominated for an Oscar this year. WOW.)

the-arrival1.jpg

Add Comment