User Avatar Image

No linearity, please...

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I have noticed that both Bone games are really linear... all events go one after the other... now that's not the spirit of games previously designed and built by our great guys at telltale... i wish for the sam and max games to be like the hit the road one. A game that you can play for months because you don't know that a flask is usefull to fix a malfunctioning escelator... so despite me usually encouraging the story part of the game i wish it to be less story and more tricky puzzles.... and less help... (i don't like the help feature of the bone games...)

Thanks and i'm sure you'll make meny great games!!

Matt from Slovenia (the chicken like country east of italy)

71 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Oh, I didn't know you could turn off that tutorial, :)) . Stupid me.

• The tutorial is different to the hint sytem, and both can be turned off.

• Judging from the fact that each of the games will be quite short and also due to the fact that this is a series, I assume there'll some degree of linearity. If you want to tell a story then you can't really just throw in a bunch of locations and say 'have fun'. I'm sure there'll be a lot of things to see and do but you'll also be guided towards specific places. It makes for a slightly less overwhelming experience as well. Like Dreamfall. Solve some puzzles, get told to go over somewhere else, walk through a tunnel, end up in a cave with no return. Shuttled from place to place. Actually, that would be the best way to do it. It allows you to get on with advancing the plot but allows you to explore. Simply break the locations up into smaller sets of locations where you can only access the ones needed at the time. Also eliminates that whole 'So I have a bent spanner. Where do I go now? Fish world? The carnival? The mystery spot? etc...?' factor.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

It is obvious that this is necessity. :)) Do the math:
    (12 episodes or similar) each episode has it's own locations and each episode is own game. Next episode most likely won't include locations before, so therefore it will be linear, at least *more* linear than in games that are released as one.

You can't fix this, if you consider this as an problem, I've not yet made my mind is it problem or not. I need to see the final product first to make my judgment. People have tried to explain to me that it won't be straight forward but I just can't see how that is possible.

I'd just like to see how one can make non-linear game by splitting to (let's say 12) pieces the way that each piece is stand-alone game :-/

• [quote]It is obvious that this is necessity. :)) Do the math:
    (12 episodes or similar) each episode has it's own locations and each episode is own game. Next episode most likely won't include locations before, so therefore it will be linear, at least *more* linear than in games that are released as one.

You can't fix this, if you consider this as an problem, I've not yet made my mind is it problem or not. I need to see the final product first to make my judgment. People have tried to explain to me that it won't be straight forward but I just can't see how that is possible.

I'd just like to see how one can make non-linear game by splitting to (let's say 12) pieces the way that each piece is stand-alone game :-/[/quote]

A great example: Day of the Tentacle takes place in its entirety in a house, and it's one of the least linear feeling adventure games I've ever played! It has none of, say, the globe-trotting epic travel of the Indiana Jones games or island uncovering of the MI games... (Day of the Tentacle hasn't even got a map!) but its lack of on-the-surface-epicness and close-quartered use of locations don't seem to hold it back in terms of nonlinearity or puzzle complexity.

• [quote]A great example: Day of the Tentacle takes place in its entirety in a house, and it's one of the least linear feeling adventure games I've ever played! It has none of, say, the globe-trotting epic travel of the Indiana Jones games or island uncovering of the MI games... (Day of the Tentacle hasn't even got a map!) but its lack of on-the-surface-epicness and close-quartered use of locations don't seem to hold it back in terms of nonlinearity or puzzle complexity.[/quote]
    But the thing that made Day of the Tentacle so complex (and fun!) is the fact that you had to switch between characters and really had to interact with them - not through speech, but through the Chron-O-Johns. So there'd better be something in this new Sam & Max game that'll make it more complex than just going from point A to B and back! ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Grim Fandango was going from point A to B and back, and that's one of the greatest adventures ever made, just like Day of the Tentacle. Both methods can work fantastically, if done right.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]A great example: Day of the Tentacle takes place in its entirety in a house, and it's one of the least linear feeling adventure games I've ever played! It has none of, say, the globe-trotting epic travel of the Indiana Jones games or island uncovering of the MI games... (Day of the Tentacle hasn't even got a map!) but its lack of on-the-surface-epicness and close-quartered use of locations don't seem to hold it back in terms of nonlinearity or puzzle complexity.[/quote]

Now, first of all, I'm not even assuming that S&M2 will be even close to best adventure game of whole universe (DOTT). And still I think that the episodic way makes it more straight forward as every puzzle is limited to the episode itself.

In terms of DOTT this would mean that exploring would be cut off, and you could NOT play simultaneously different parts with each character in the game. So if we cut DOTT to twelve pieces (which btw is impossible) it would mean that each episode contains piece of some character exploring a little, now it would diminish the mood totally. Since DOTT includes several little puzzles that you can play almost anytime in the game which makes it so much more interesting. Important: So you can start doing other puzzle while doing other, now when we cut DOTT to twelve pieces that means each episode is own puzzle, now this disables the possibility doing these other puzzles in the side. As the next episode does NOT know what parts have you discovered of this "irrelevant" side puzzle.

In simple: episodic presentation makes impossible to create simultaneous puzzles. The scale of the locations is not the only problem.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]But the thing that made Day of the Tentacle so complex (and fun!) is the fact that you had to switch between characters and really had to interact with them - not through speech, but through the Chron-O-Johns. So there'd better be something in this new Sam & Max game that'll make it more complex than just going from point A to B and back! ;)[/quote]

And this is impossible with episodic own game presentation. As the next episode has no idea what you have collected with each person.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Yeah I'm struggling to get my head around how much you can actually do in a game in 2 hours.. In 2 hours of say Grim Fandango i've checked out locations picked up a few items and maybe solved one puzzle.. how could you go through a storyline of an "episode" playing a game .. in this time?

DOTT had just 1 house..but it was 3 different time periods..3 characters.. ability to send items to each other..many verbs.. a heap of items to pick up and look at.. a lot of people to talk to.. that just extended the gameplay massively.. in 2 hours of dott i'd probably talked to a couple of people and looked at a few rooms.. hell it took me 40 mins just to figure out the thing with the clock haha

I think if the episodes carried on and included locations items from episode 1..it would just get better and better.. but 2 hour self contained episodes.. you can have a good story..you can have some funny stuff for sure..but can you actually have a good "adventure gaming" experience all tied up in 2 hours? [[-o<]

Add Comment