40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, my sister's store managed to avoid the cuts. She's still got her job for now, but she's pretty stressed out right now. They've posted a list of things the employees are supposed to say if questioned and told them not to speak to the press. She says people are constantly asking her if they're closing, it's impossible to check the inventory at the stores that are liquidating, and not only is no hiring going on, but employees can't even transfer between stores now.

In other words, everything's a mess and working at Borders is pretty much hell right now.

• @Friar said: I've only ever boughtTwo things from Borders (UK), which were DVDs. One of which had a large scratch on it, which rendered it unplayable. Unfortunately, the store was 16 miles away, so I never got to return it (Petrol cost being greater than the DVD value).

I guess it's a shame to see bookstores going, but, to be honest, it's not surprising. Books are just so much more expensive instores. The last time I went into a bookstore, I was shocked to see them charging the price on the back of the book, which shows just how used to getting them at nice online prices I am (£2.99 instead of £5.99, for example). I think Borders is suffering from the same fate as a lot of retailers (like HMV). A lot of people visiting them, but not many actually buying stuff.

I didnt even know we had Border's in Uk, I only ever went to Waterstones.

• @Lonnie said: I didnt even know we had Border's in Uk, I only ever went to Waterstones.

I've only ever seen one, and it was abig out of town place. With a starbucks in it. Unfortunately, it was opposite a giant Asda-WalMart which sold most of the books cheaper. It was also very near a library too.

• I usually get my books from a second hand shop by the Europa in Belfast, but I think it closed down recently :(

• I usually try to support the small, independent bookstores so they don't go out of business. Guess I should have been supporting the big, chain stores...

• @Friar said: I've only ever seen one, and it was abig out of town place. With a starbucks in it. Unfortunately, it was opposite a giant Asda-WalMart which sold most of the books cheaper.

Buying books in places like supermarkets, department stores, Walmart, etc, is actually really bad for the book industry. Those places just buy the most popular books in bulk and sell them at a reduced price. Buying at places like these takes sales away from proper bookstores that promote variety. It is true that books cost more at actual book stores but they have much healthier selections and if they don't have any book you're after they can usually order them in.

Buying books at places like Walmart may save you money in the short-term but in the long-term the whole industry suffers.

(Just for the record this isn't an attack and I'm not saying you do this, your post just inspired this rant)

• Sorry to bump this old thread up, but there's been a new development.

All Borders stores are closing down. It's a sad day. :(

• Pissed. Their DVDs and CDs were overpriced but I loved book shopping there. If nothing else I'd frequent the cafe and make a good economic contribution on my share of coffee alone. But I did buy books there and I'm sad to see them go. I have a lot of memories at my local Borders. Was where my writing career began.

• Yeah, I heard about that earlier today. I hate Barnes & Noble, but I guess there's no choice left anymore.

Add Comment