User Avatar Image

Kings Quest Reboot

posted by GuybrushWilco on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1150947p1.html

I haven't been this excited about a Telltale announcement since Tales of Monkey Island. I figured this game deserves its own thread. Who else has mega nostalgia for this series? I really should go back and get the KQ collection now.... So what do you all hope to see in the game?

397 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If I want King's Quest on my iPad i'll just got to Sarien.net and play the original.

• @Lucien21 said: Can't see this one to be honest.

King's Quest and the other Sierra games were the opposite of the Lucasarts philosphy that Telltale seem to follow. The game all had death scenes, hard puzzles and weak stories.

I don't want a watered down Sierra game.

Therefore my interest in this is.....
    metergif.jpg

It´s of course much better to not have a Kinqs Quest game at all? :confused:

See this game like I see Curse of Monkey Island. Another author´s take on the series, and not a true sequel/reboot.

• Well, Telltale seem to be only licensing the IP from ActiVision. And since POS (and AGDI) both have fan licenses for their games nothing will happen to them.

@Incognito said: It´s of course much better to not have a Kinqs Quest game at all? :confused:

See this game like I see Curse of Monkey Island. Another author´s take on the series, and not a true sequel/reboot.

Yes, it's better to let it die than continue as something it's NOT.

• @Secret Fawful said: I know you're really serious about this but this post made me-

ZnhcO.jpg

This, so much so!

Watching fanboys foam at the mouth in rage over just the possibility of change in their favorite genre is hilariously entertaining. (Even when I'm the rabid fanboy doing the ranting, as I can be on other subjects.)

• How does anyone know what Telltales philosophy is unless you actually work there? Also, who says Telltale has one singular philosophy that must be rigidly followed? It seems the only philosophy needed is to try to make great games. No one can honestly say the game is destined to fail or be watered down, when we don't even know anything about it yet.

• @figmentPez said: This, so much so!

Watching fanboys foam at the mouth in rage over just the possibility of change in their favorite genre is hilariously entertaining. (Even when I'm the rabid fanboy doing the ranting, as I can be on other subjects.)

Well, I'm not saying I disagree with him really, just that the epicrage of it was extremely hilarious to me.

• My hope (and it may be a far fetched one) is that part of Telltale's plan in working on so many franchises at once is to direct some at casual gamers, and some at more hardcore gamers.

If they have a more mainstream franchise bringing in dollars from the non-adventure gamers, then they can focus on making King's Quest a complex, difficult game for those of us who grew up with the series.

I'm most curious about the announcement that it will be a "reboot". It makes it sound like they're starting over from Graham's first story, but at least one article I've read compares it to how they "rebooted" Monkey Island with TOMI, so I don't know what to expect.

• Maybe I should have added no whiners or illogical assumptions to the thread title.

• @GuybrushWilco said: How does anyone know what Telltales philosophy is unless you actually work there? Also, who says Telltale has one singular philosophy that must be rigidly followed? It seems the only philosophy needed is to try to make great games. No one can honestly say the game is destined to fail or be watered down, when we don't even know anything about it yet.

All wee know is what they've told us, their history of games that are already released, and past publicly stated opinions on Sierra's games. Based on all of those things I don't see them ever doing a Sierra IP properly.

• @figmentPez said: This, so much so!

I just don't get it. I played both Sierra and Lucasarts (and accolade, and microprose, and Infocom and Scott Adams and etc etc etc) back in the day and I don't have a problem with. Sure there are differences but it was all good.

I am getting tired of Telltale=Lucasarts chant. Can Telltale be its own thing for now on?

Add Comment