User Avatar Image

Kings Quest Reboot

posted by GuybrushWilco on - last edited - Viewed by 4.6K users

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1150947p1.html

I haven't been this excited about a Telltale announcement since Tales of Monkey Island. I figured this game deserves its own thread. Who else has mega nostalgia for this series? I really should go back and get the KQ collection now.... So what do you all hope to see in the game?

397 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Like Guybrush, I liked ToMI, and San & Max.. and pretty much all TTG's games...

@Rather Dashing
    Guess, if that so, it will be different. But different can be as good or even better. But I bet you already make up your mind on that, and you will claim everywhere that TTG's KG is bad (even if it's not). That's what fanboys do (compare to fan who let a chance).

• @Bloody Eugene said: "I can't help but feel that Telltale's reboot of King's Quest to be one step away from treason."
    Ron Gilbert, from his Twitter

I may have the wording off, but AWAY from treason, if he means telltale haved betrayed lucasarts, than I think they did that when they all quit and created telltalegames.
    One step TOWARD treason would be a better example, but we will see.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I have every right to be wary about something when everything Telltale have done in the past has consistently been lowering the bar as far as game design goes. I hoped Telltale would get better but they're getting worse. Seriously, we're not the defensive fanboys here....you are. Defending everything Telltale does. If you like their snooze-fest style gameplay than I'm sure you'll like their new King's Quest but it's not going to be ANYTHING like the originals if that's the case. And as a longtime fan of King's Quest, that upsets me.

A question that comes to mind is why you frequent a forum of a company whose games you seem to dislike to much.

• I don't remember Telltale ever stating they were only going to make Lucasarts style games, so I don't see how this could be considered treason :P. All the whining is preventing this thread from becoming enjoyable.

• @Bloody Eugene said: "I can't help but feel that Telltale's reboot of King's Quest to be one step away from treason."
    Ron Gilbert, from his Twitter

Haha. He's kidding, obviously. If anyone was wondering.

• I was not a fan of Sierra games- though I'll admit I haven't tried them all. I'm excited to see what Telltale can do with King's Quest. In opposition to several voices on this forum, I hope they make this series more like their recent games. As a more casual gamer, I enjoy the direction they've been taken.

That said, if the games reflect the difficulty of the original series despite my personal desire for a more casual experience I will not consider this a personal betrayal of gaming and all that is good and holy- but, clearly, that’s just me.

mmm... passive aggressiveness....

:D

• Could be horrible, could be nice, fully depends on how they do it.

• @CuberToy said: Like Guybrush, I liked ToMI, and San & Max.. and pretty much all TTG's games...

@Rather Dashing
    Guess, if that so, it will be different. But different can be as good or even better. But I bet you already make up your mind on that, and you will claim everywhere that TTG's KG is bad (even if it's not). That's what fanboys do (compare to fan who let a chance).

oh, you said what I was thinking without being a jerk. Suddenly I feel silly.

• Maybe they can do a retry after any deaths :) Or two a two tier difficulty like in Curse of Monkey Island.

• @GuybrushWilco said: I don't remember Telltale ever stating they were only going to make Lucasarts style games

I have linked once to a quote showing abject disdain for Sierra's design philosophy. If anyone wants, I can compile a list of quotes from both Telltale and Sierra that will show that the two companies think COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY, that Telltale has NO INTENTION of even ATTEMPTING to think the way Sierra does, and that the overwhelmingly powerful probability for the upcoming King's Quest reboot is that it will be a King's Quest game in name only, with all of the similarities being entirely superficial.

@GuybrushWilco said:

Different to the point of being designed from a diametrically opposed philosophy of design isn't "different", it's a process that will create something with nothing but a surface resemblance to the thing they are ostensibly attempting to emulate. The company is run by people that abhor the means, thought process, and artistic direction through which the King's Quest series was made. I would be less upset if Activision gave exclusive rights to fucking Zynga. And another thing: I am sick of this assumption that comes up everywhere that because I am not at all pleased with something, that I am not a fan or that I don't really care about a particular franchise. Maybe I care about the franchise enough to prefer that the very basic surface view of the thing isn't ripped out and pasted over something with disparate internals. Maybe my disdain for the upcoming game is based on EVEN MORE evidence than your fucking praise, considering MY reaction is based on precedent, interview responses, and an analysis of every product ever released by this company up to this point, while yours is based on empty optimism. MAYBE fans who will take anything that has the name on it, without caring about whether or not the spirit of the original product is actually respected, rather than treated as a piece of garbage that must be discarded because people are busy now when nobody was busy in the 80s, maybe THOSE people are letting blind fanboyism to cloud or replace their judgement. But hey, that's not what I'm here to argue, because I'm not here to punch straw men. I'm here to say this is a bad idea, and if you're not willing to bring anything concrete or valuable to the table in terms of a counterargument rather than slandering me because that's all you have in terms of reasoning, then FUCK YOU.

Add Comment