User Avatar Image

Kings Quest Reboot

posted by GuybrushWilco on - last edited - Viewed by 4.5K users

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1150947p1.html

I haven't been this excited about a Telltale announcement since Tales of Monkey Island. I figured this game deserves its own thread. Who else has mega nostalgia for this series? I really should go back and get the KQ collection now.... So what do you all hope to see in the game?

397 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Beside, I hope we will see an original game one day. It can only be a good thing for TTG. Making sequel or adaptation is fine (as long as the quality is there) but creating something from the beginning it's better.

• Nerd rage rocks!

As a LucasArts fanboy who saw TTG as their spiritual successor I do slightly feel as if they have gone to the dark side! ;)

Obviously there is no way a punishing and frustrating game like the original Kings Quest would be a commercial success today, everyone would just use walkthoughs.

But surely if there was a licence that almost guaranteed a reboot be for the hard core adventure fan this would be it?

• @Rather Dashing said: If anyone wants, I can compile a list of quotes from both Telltale and Sierra that will show that the two companies think COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY, that Telltale has NO INTENTION of even ATTEMPTING to think the way Sierra does, and that the overwhelmingly powerful probability for the upcoming King's Quest reboot is that it will be a King's Quest game in name only, with all of the similarities being entirely superficial.

I would actually be quite interested to read that if you could.

RD, is this worse than if TTG had done a Maniac Mansion reboot?

• I'm not sure why people think they have to take sides. I was a fanboy of BOTH companies when I was growing up. I played both company's games equally pretty much.

• @Rather Dashing said: -Source

Well, personally i would love to play unique puzzle games with a dense story and interesting characters instead of watching content where flat characters and a boring story rule over the nonexistance of puzzles.

• @Rather Dashing said: Insert Dashings rant here

I see your point, but we still should wait it out and see what happens.
    As stated Kings Quest cant be that hard anymore due to constant walkthroughs(kind of added to the charm of meatboy though since walkthroughs barely helped there) so we just have to see. It could fail, it could work, but none of us can predict the future.

• @taumel said: Well, personally i would love to play unique puzzle games with a dense story and interesting characters instead of watching content where flat characters and a boring story rule over the nonexistance of puzzles.

I'm a big fan of Professor Layton.

• @Toothless Gibbon said: I would actually be quite interested to read that if you could.

RD, is this worse than if TTG had done a Maniac Mansion reboot?

Maniac Mansion is LucasArts at least.

This is a completely out of left field move, and frankly somewhat baffling. It appears to make no sense from a company that, in terms of style, follows LucasArts much more closely than Sierra - not, of course, that Activision would care, so long as it makes them money! That said, unlike some here, I am at least willing to give them a chance. So come on, Tell Tale, show us what you can do.

• @Drahcir said: I'm not sure why people think they have to take sides. I was a fanboy of BOTH companies when I was growing up. I played both company's games equally pretty much.

I don't think people HAVE to take sides, I just preferred everything about LucasArts games. I never finished a Sierra game.*

EDIT: *Except for the LSL games, which I loved.

• @Rather Dashing

Wow, calm down ^^ I didn't say that. Of course a fan is not someone stupid who buy everything with a name on it... What I meant was, you already condamn the game on nothing. You don't have a clue about how the game is made. From the beginning, TTG had a good process on making game : Purcell on S&M, Gale on BTTF etc... So, maybe (just maybe) some people from the old days will work on King's Quest... or maybe not. Maybe it will be good you know. But because you're a fan (an hardcore one obviously) you will not see it. Plus, even if it's bad, the originals still exist. If TTG don't make it, nobody else will, so if it's bad, well, not a big deal really. The licence was buried anyway, let TTG a shot.

I'm like you on other subject that I like, so I know how you feel :p

But hey, Indy 4 is crappy, that doesn't make Riders disapear or even bad.

Add Comment