User Avatar Image

King's Quest NEEDS to have deaths.

posted by David J Prokopetz on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

There needs to be at least one way to trigger an elaborate and utterly arbitrary death cutscene on every single screen.

Am I wrong? :D

(Bonus points if the narrator mocks your corpse with cheesy wordplay afterwards.)

94 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Don't confuse King's Quest with Space Quest, which had more of the mocking from the narrator than KQ did.

• Well, it's been confirmed that you CAN die in Jurassic Park. While i'm quite certain that TT-KQ will be a mite easier than the Sierra titles, The whole "Arbitrary death cutscene for failing any damned puzzle in the game" was part and parcel of the KQ Series' charm, and i'm sure TT are gonna keep that, and hopefully make our hero's deaths as hilarious as always. :P

Let's just hope that's the only thing that moves over. Keep the Puzzles difficult, but intuitive, Telltale. Sierra Logic has no place in 2011. (except for a shoutout puzzle where you have to pwn a yeti with a custard pie.)

• @MusicallyInspired said: Don't confuse King's Quest with Space Quest, which had more of the mocking from the narrator than KQ did.

It sort of varies over the course of the series. King's Quest V has as much post-death snark as any Space Quest game ever did. In fact, I seem to recall that the narrator actually mocks you in verse in a couple of cases.

• @muskieratboi said: Sierra Logic has no place in 2011. (except for a shoutout puzzle where you have to pwn a yeti with a custard pie.)

Why should people not be allowed to think anymore? I think they should at least make it more difficult than any current Telltale game. That would be a start.

@muskieratboi said: It sort of varies over the course of the series. King's Quest V has as much post-death snark as any Space Quest game ever did. In fact, I seem to recall that the narrator actually mocks you in verse in a couple of cases.

I guess that's true. :)

• @MusicallyInspired said: Why should people not be allowed to think anymore? I think they should at least make it more difficult than any current Telltale game. That would be a start.

Depends on what one means by "Sierra logic", really. If you mean puzzles with somewhat counterintuitive solutions, there may be a place for that. If you mean puzzles that actively punish outside-the-box thinking by accepting false solutions that award points and trigger plot-advancing cutscenes while simultaneously rendering the game unwinnable in some subtle fashion that may not become apparent for hours (King's Quest V again, oddly enough), that's a whole other matter.

• @David J Prokopetz said: It sort of varies over the course of the series. King's Quest V has as much post-death snark as any Space Quest game ever did. In fact, I seem to recall that the narrator actually mocks you in verse in a couple of cases.

And I like KQ V the most for that alone. And for the screams of King graham when he falls and for Cedric of course.

• KQ5 was the best of the KQ games hands down. From the setting, the graphics and the difficulty I thought it was the most enjoyable of the bunch. After that the series went downhill fast (with 6 being ok, 7 and 8 being really bad).

• Mask of eternia sound never be refered to as KQ8... it was an abomination that should be forgotten

• At first I was a bit skeptical about the dying thing in KQ but once I beat KQ 3 and 4 after countless death scenes I realized how fulfilling it was to make it to the end of a King's Quest game and still be alive.

I have an idea though. Remember in Curse of Monkey island how they had a reqular mode (which was easy) and a Mega Monkey mode (which was crazy hard) and I think they did this in a few other games as well. Why not do that? Have an easy mode for people who've never played a King's Quest game before and a Hard mode for the KQ veterans.
    I think it would be a better way of easing the new fans into the franchise.

• I would love to see the return of death scenes as long as they are accompanied with an automatic "Try Again" option. And there is nothing to stop the designers from giving a menu option for toggling the death scenes on and off. Win-win!

Add Comment