User Avatar Image

BTTF "Share your disappointment" Thread

posted by ADAMATION on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Okay, so 2 months or so ago, I posted a comment about how this game was going to suck for the following reasons..

A.) Point and click
B.) Linear gameplay

After getting bitched out by telltale radicals I thought, well...maybe it won't be as bad as I am thinking. And at least it's a modern, 3D BTTF game. God was I wrong. After playing the demo and watching in horror at the gameplay videos online..I totally lost all hope in getting an awesome BTTF game. And the worst part is, look at the Jurassic Park trailer. It looks awesome. It's not cartoony, and from what Ive read its NOT going to be point and click. Apparently the designer said it wouldnt feel right to walk around aimlessly solving puzzles..? So why the hell is the Back to the Future game just that?! Whats the difference between BTTF and JP? Theyre both adventure movies. So why does JP get to be an awesome adventure game and BTTF, which is probably more popular anyway, is a cartoony, restricted, puzzle game? I just don't get it.....And to those of you out there who are going to rip me to shreads about not knowing what BTTF is about or sarcasticly tell me theyre sorry that its not like GTA, this time I know I am right that BTTF did not get the game it deserved.

So anyone out there who agrees with me, share your story. And if you disagree with me, please tell me why I should like the BTTF game.

Thanks

87 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have my problems with BttF, manly the difficulty, which we're already talking about, but the fact that the game is point and click has nothing to do with why I'm disappointed. You can't just take a type of game and say a game will be bad because it is that type. If a shooter or a sandbox game were this easy it would be just as bad, hell it would probably be worse. At least BttF has an interesting story.

    As for linear gameplay heaps of games are made like that, there's nothing wrong with it. Many of the great Adventure games are linear. Many of the greatest games ever made are linear.

  • As far as story goes, I'm completely happy with Back to the Future. They're doing a fantastic job and it's really interesting to see young Doc. I would however like more scenes between him and Marty that aren't just Doc waiting around in the square for something to happen.

    It's widely documented on the forum that the puzzles are too easy. Having practically items drop on the floor in front of you isn't a puzzle. Having numerous characters tell you what to do isn't a puzzle. Unless they're finding it difficult to come up with inventive and interesting ideas there's simply no excuse when there's a hint system built into the movie... err I mean game.

    I'm hoping in future episodes they might also demonstrate a little of the gameplay mechanics they're using in Jurassic Park. Not too much of it, just enough to create a little tension. For instance, if there's another chase scene (which surely there will be) or some instance where Marty is racing against the clock to get something to Doc in time, the QTE control method would be perfect.

  • After playing both episodes there seemed a very important element missing in this series. It just wasn't "FUN" to play. It was OK but just not very fun to play. That was my observation. I just happen to like fun games. So, what's my definition of fun games. Well, Monkey Island was fun to play. Let's get more of those episodes.

  • Wow, Jurassic Park looks good and Back to the Future is bad? I feel like I am in opposite world.

  • I can sympathize with people who see a favorite movie/character/franchise made into a game that is otherwise not to their liking. Many adventure gamers (though not me personally) were upset when Lucasarts switched Indiana Jones games from mostly adventure-style gameplay to mostly action. As others have said, I'm not disappointed that BTTF is an adventure game, only that BTTF isn't a good adventure game.

    But to those who are unhappy about the kind of game BTTF is, your beef should really be with Universal, not Telltale. Universal controls the BTTF property, and TT surely told Universal what kind of game they had in mind when they pitched it. It wouldn't have been done as an adventure game without Universal's say-so. Creative people (or at least one person?) from the movies were involved with the project, and they would have more authority than anyone here to say what kind of game is right for the franchise. Seriously, though -- if you're dissatisfied with the BTTF game for that reason, then write to Universal.

  • I'd have to disagree with you. I think the puzzle solving point and click game fits well with Back to the future. If you look at the movie, the basic premises was "what if you met your parents when they were your age." and the story just went from their. There wasn't much action involved and it was mostly figuring out how to get Marty's parents back together. the movie is pretty much a puzzle in and of itself.

    in fact I can see a point and click sequence working perfectly when doc was hanging from the clock tower trying to get the wire to reconnect with the lightning rod wire then figuring out you can use the rope to zip line your way down to connect the other wire.

  • @ADAMATION said: Okay, so 2 months or so ago, I posted a comment about how this game was going to suck for the following reasons..

    A.) Point and click
    B.) Linear gameplay

    After getting bitched out by telltale radicals I thought, well...maybe it won't be as bad as I am thinking. And at least it's a modern, 3D BTTF game. God was I wrong. After playing the demo and watching in horror at the gameplay videos online..I totally lost all hope in getting an awesome BTTF game. And the worst part is, look at the Jurassic Park trailer. It looks awesome. It's not cartoony, and from what Ive read its NOT going to be point and click. Apparently the designer said it wouldnt feel right to walk around aimlessly solving puzzles..? So why the hell is the Back to the Future game just that?! Whats the difference between BTTF and JP? Theyre both adventure movies. So why does JP get to be an awesome adventure game and BTTF, which is probably more popular anyway, is a cartoony, restricted, puzzle game? I just don't get it.....And to those of you out there who are going to rip me to shreads about not knowing what BTTF is about or sarcasticly tell me theyre sorry that its not like GTA, this time I know I am right that BTTF did not get the game it deserved.

    So anyone out there who agrees with me, share your story. And if you disagree with me, please tell me why I should like the BTTF game.

    Thanks

    I felt the very same way, and in certain ways I still do. I'm quite enjoying this game now after getting into it. The music and some of the cut scenes are epic BTTF, but I DO agree that this game would have been better as an action game, such as getting to drive the delorean and exploring, a bit more like Grand Theft Auto.

  • @lukebrynycz said: I felt the very same way, and in certain ways I still do. I'm quite enjoying this game now after getting into it. The music and some of the cut scenes are epic BTTF, but I DO agree that this game would have been better as an action game, such as getting to drive the delorean and exploring, a bit more like Grand Theft Auto.

    Then it wouldn't fit at all. Unless you time travel to the future, you'd be on foot because you'd have to hide the DeLorean. Make for rather boring gameplay if you ask me. BttF is story driven. Plain and simple.

    Also, quick thing to the OP: Jurassic Park is not an adventure movie and neither is Back to the Future. Jurassic Park is a sci-fi suspense thriller. Back to the Future on the other hand is a sci-fi romantic comedy. The only thing that the two have in common is the "sci-fi" aspect.

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    Same here, no need to state this actually.

    Although a LOT of new people came here when this license was announced, TTGs core fan base is still made up of avid adventure gamers. It's those that might feel very disappointed because BTTF turned out to be not a good adventure game.

  • @Vainamoinen said: Same here, no need to state this actually.

    Although a LOT of new people came here when this license was announced, TTGs core fan base is still made up of avid adventure gamers. It's those that might feel very disappointed because BTTF turned out to be not a good adventure game.

    My question is this. Who would be satisfied with these games? Who is the target audience? Gamers have come to expect a very high level of polish, challenge and overall quality from their games. BTTF is buggy, boring, bad storytelling, bad adventure-gaming, bad puzzle-gaming, bad action-gaming, etc, etc, etc. Who, exactly, is this supposed to appeal to? Adventure gamers? No. Puzzle-gamers? No. Action-gamers? No. The only category left are "casual gamers," and I doubt that even they would really enjoy this. So who is Telltale aiming for and why do they think they need to dumb down the BTTF games so much?

    Remember Telltale, many of the most successful games have been the most sophisticated and complex for their time - the early Sierra and Lucasarts games, Myst, the Civilization series, all the amazing games put out by Bioware, the Modern Combat games, Bioshock, etc. Gamers want rich, complex, challenging experiences. Where do you get the idea that they want dumbed down, insipid, boring, diluted rubbish like the first two BTTF games? Who do you think your customers are?

Add Comment