User Avatar Image

King's Quest NEEDS to have deaths.

posted by David J Prokopetz on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

There needs to be at least one way to trigger an elaborate and utterly arbitrary death cutscene on every single screen.

Am I wrong? :D

(Bonus points if the narrator mocks your corpse with cheesy wordplay afterwards.)

94 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There should be an Ironman mode, where you must play through the entire game without dying AND without saving (although savestate saving could be an option).

• When I first played these games I accepted the deaths as natural parts of an adventure game. Now that I know they don't have to be, I hate them. I absolutely think it can still be a King's Quest game without a bunch of unexpected deaths -- and I personally hope Telltale's KQ games don't do that.

(A "try again" option is an okay compromise. But when you get into sequences where the death happens quickly and you can't figure out in time how to avoid it, that gets tiresome. I'm thinking of some of the scenes in KQ7, like the one with that giant beetle/scorpion thing... my god, Valanice, STOP SCREAMING AND DO SOMETHING!)

• I don't mind a death scene anymore, but make it instantly reversible. Press R and we're back to busy-ness.

• Emily, I dislike twitch-action deaths like that, too, where you are stuck and have to watch the same animations over and over until you figure out the right sequence of actions. In fact, I disliked the end of Tales of Monkey Island because it was like this - er, apart from the dying part. :p

But Quest for Glory would be a lesser experience if you could not fail at picking your nose when playing as a Thief. :)

Using this example to illustrate the idea of making the death scenes optional, this scene could play out fatally with the death scenes enabled and non-fatally with them disabled.

So with the off setting, Graham would just say something like, "I don't need to pick my own brain," and that would be that; and with the death scenes enabled, he would go ahead, the death scene would play and then the action would automatically return to the moment before the fatal act.

• Actually, the only thing this series needs is Roberta Williams involved in some form, and not just a thank you in the credits (ala the goofy credit like "Visiting Professor of Monkeyology" for Ron Gilbert in TMI).

• I'd honestly rather have Josh Mandel. And I'd rather whoever it is to have a lot more than just an advisory role like Ron Gilbert for TMI.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I'd honestly rather have Josh Mandel. And I'd rather whoever it is to have a lot more than just an advisory role like Ron Gilbert for TMI.

If Telltale can get Josh Mandel to write for the game, it will absolutely be a day-one purchase for me, regardless of any other reservations I might have about the game.

• I think that the deaths in Sierra games have been a bit exaggerated over the years. I hope they have deaths in the game, but I wouldn't mind if they were more logical and easy to see coming.

• One thing that I would hope for with this game is more interactivity in the world. Sierra games were great because you could at least look at everything and get some kind of fairly unique description. You may not have been able to fully interact with everything, but not being limited to a few preset hotspots made the worlds feel much more alive and immersive. It also made puzzle solving more complex because it felt like there were always more options to try.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I'd honestly rather have Josh Mandel. And I'd rather whoever it is to have a lot more than just an advisory role like Ron Gilbert for TMI.

Do you think Mandel should also return to voice Graham?

Part of me says yes, even if only for nostalgia...but I've heard he's not a fan of his own performance, and I could see the merit in hiring a more professional voice actor for the role.

But I will do whatever it takes to get them to bring Robby Benson back as Alexander. :D

Add Comment