User Avatar Image

Which KQ game is your favorite?

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 423 users

Haha... never thought I'd see the day where we'd be encouraged to talk about Sierra games on the Telltale forum (without having to be afraid that LucasArts fans would throw tomatoes at us or something).

Ahem, anyway... I'm curious which of the KQ games is everyone's favorite? Mine's King's Quest 6... traveling back and forth between the islands was a nice element and I loved the sappy love story. (I was a 14 year old girl, it's kind of to be expected.) I might have had a crush on Alexander.

My close second would probably be KQ4. I guess I like the ones that have strong emotional elements. King's Quest 5 should have had that kind of story, what with Graham on a quest to save his family and all, but that game just didn't do it for me. (The artwork was gorgeous though.)

How about everyone else?

EDIT: D'oh, this is a duplicate thread. I didn't see the poll before I posted this. Maybe a mod can combine them?

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 6. I never liked the series, but got relatively far into 6 before I kind of gave-up. I also like 1, just because it seems kinda edgy for its time, but I don't know if that's true or not. It's also kinda pretty.

• King's Quest 3 was my favourite. I was hooked from the start. Having to work in secret behind the wizards back, never knowing when he would reappear. Gathering the ingredients needed for the spells. And finally defeating the wizard was a great sense of relief for me.

• I love ALL KQ's games. I am SUPEEEER ecstatic after reading from IGN that Telltale is going to redo KQ's. Perhaps we will see a KQVIII in the future. Who knows?

I just bought Back to the Future last night and boy, I am loving it!

• Kings Quest 5 was the first KQ game I played so that holds a special place, but I think i'd have a tie with either 5, 6 or 7.

• King's Quest 6 definitely. It has the most interesting and well developed story and characters, and the puzzles were great. (The only thing that bothers me about the game are all the failed attempts at grammar jokes clearly written by someone who doesn't know anything about grammar. "Where are you going?" is a complete sentence, damn it! "Where are you going to?" ends the sentence with a preposition, which is frowned upon but still acceptable in Germanic languages, but the "to" isn't necessary; in modern English the adverb "where" has absorbed the meanings of "whither" and "whence," and so it already means "to what place." Gah!)

I also really love KQ4. It had an amazing atmosphere, and the haunted house sequence was genuinely creepy. And KQ3 had a really great premise and puzzle structure.

• 5 was the one that got me interested in the series and KQ1 (VGA remake) was the first I played myself.
    Hearing Cedric still makes me smile every time. He is so adorable.

• KQ5. It's the most all-encompassing enchanting fantasy game you can get. It's got everything. Beautiful forest locales, a town, a dark magical forest with an evil witch, underground tunnels where elves live, a desert area with bandits and a magical temple, a snowy dangerous mountain range, a beach with a sea and a set of islands, and the final showdown at Mordack's creepy evil island with a labyrinth basement, dungeon, library, bedroom with a spooky bed, spooky halls with eerie evil decor, and an evil magical laboratory. And then there's the characters. Good wizards, bad wizards, gypsies, bandits, crooked innkeepers, friendly characters, evil witches, a talking tree, gnomes, elves, animals, mermaids, harpies.....the list goes on. It's just an overall exceptionally enchanting tale! And I prefer it to the romanticised KQ6 love story, as fantastic and spectacular as it is.

And the music is so rich and memorable! And it ties into the story of a previous game and starts off the story for the next! It's just great. Fantastic. I love it. KQ3 is a close second, but only because I've been working on the soundtrack for the AGDI remake of it for the past 8 years and have grown attached to it. I've also noticed that KQ3 shares a lot of the same gameplay elements as KQ5 does. Similar locales (desert, snowy mountain, town, etc) much like KQ2 is similar to KQ6 (girl in a tower to rescue).

• Part 6. Although I liked part 5 when it was new, I find all the King's Quest games(with the exception of part 6,) to have a lack of a good storyline.

If I am not playing part 6, I find myself playing part 4 esp the zombie and the ghost scenes, so I guess that is my 2nd favorite.

• @thesporkman said: King's Quest 6 definitely. It has the most interesting and well developed story and characters, and the puzzles were great. (The only thing that bothers me about the game are all the failed attempts at grammar jokes clearly written by someone who doesn't know anything about grammar. "Where are you going?" is a complete sentence, damn it! "Where are you going to?" ends the sentence with a preposition, which is frowned upon but still acceptable in Germanic languages, but the "to" isn't necessary; in modern English the adverb "where" has absorbed the meanings of "whither" and "whence," and so it already means "to what place." Gah!)

Not to mention the fact that the writers clearly had no clue what a "dangling participle" actually is.

But yes, KQ6 is a great game. I'm not sure I get the love for KQ5, though: that game was just cruel.

Add Comment