User Avatar Image

Style?

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 471 users

As I'm sure you all know, the style of the old Sierra adventures like King's Quest is drastically different from the "Exploration shouldn't be punished" philosophy employed by LucasArts (and later Telltale). The slightest step out of line can easily kill you, or even worse, render the game unwinnable, usually with the game's narrator making snarky jokes about your suffering.

I'm not trying to be another one of those complainers going "Telltale can't make a proper King's Quest game because they've never done something like that before!" Instead my question is...how do you want the game to be done? Would you like a return to full-on Sierra sadism, or for Telltale to stick with the friendly approach they've always used so far?

I'd personally like if there can be a little bit of both. Don't get me wrong, I want this game to be frustratingly hard, but stuff like unwinnable situations are just too much. And in the era of auto-saving, I think death should be treated the same way as in The Tomb of Sammun-Mak: you're immediately taken back to where you were before.

What do you think?

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm not sure if the option "Sierra-style! If I'm not being tortured, it's not King's Quest!" is biased and written by a LucasArts style adventure game fanboy who doesn't understand the appeal of Sierra style adventure games* or if being tortured is something that an old-school Sierra-fan would consider a good thing and something to feel nostalgic and happy about.

I clicked Sierra-style. While it is no secret that Telltale is a direct descendant of the LucasArts model of making adventure games they can't think they can try to 'fix' the Sierra model of adventure games which so many people have loved and enjoyed.

King's Quest doesn't need to be as hard as the old Sierra games but Telltale can't abandon the game's roots. Like I said in another thread, if Telltale follow the LucasArts style of adventure games for KQ it would be tantamount to punching Sierra fans right in the family jewels!

*For the record, I'm a LucasArts style adventure game fanboy who doesn't understand the appeal of Sierra style adventure games.

• Oh, I forgot to add: Every Sierra game had a point system, with more points being awarded for better puzzle solutions. Telltale's KQ should have a point list too!

• @ATMachine said: Oh, I forgot to add: Every Sierra game had a point system, with more points being awarded for better puzzle solutions. Telltale's KQ should have a point list too!

Yes. And the point system served an important function in the old Sierra games; it let you know if you were on the right track. If you tried something, and you didn't get points for it, it was probably not the right thing to do, and so you knew you should go back and try something else. And I think that's a way more clever and interesting way of nudging players along than filling the entire top half of the screen with hint buttons and having the NPCs shout the puzzle solutions at you if you don't immediately solve them.

• Totally. Alternate puzzles that give more and less points in the points system is also a nice addition. Makes for good replayability.

• I picked middle ground. It just wouldn't be King's Quest without ridiculous unecessary danger, but many times the deaths were far too common and far too unpredictable in my opinion.

• The discussion of points reminded me of another item on my wish list: alternate puzzle solutions!

• @Simo Sakari Aaltonen said: The discussion of points reminded me of another item on my wish list: alternate puzzle solutions!

yes those were great. Some alternatives were easier but you would not get full points. But at least you could get past a more difficult puzzle.

• And it added to the replay value while making the game world feel more real. I remember in Quest for Glory V there was this lever that needed to be thrown, but from a distance. Boy, was I delighted to learn you could just pick up a rock and throw it at the lever - or a spear, if you liked. (Rather than having to find the sole item in the entire game world that could be used for this purpose.)

• I voted middleground. Some token deaths should be there for doing really dumb things, but I don't want to be under constant threat of death for clicking the wrong rock or whatever like in the old days.

Or, make it super death heavy but also have autosaves before every death, making them painless.

• I just don't want the game to hold my hand, tell me where to go, and protect me from any danger that may befall me. I doubt that's not what it will be, though.

Add Comment