User Avatar Image

KQ fan games

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 371 users

Probably most people who are posting here already know about these, but if not...

AGD Interactive's remakes -- KQ1 and KQ2 in VGA style (like the original KQ5 and KQ6). Plus a KQ3 remake is coming very soon! Their artwork is beautiful and in the later remakes they expanded on the storylines to make them more cohesive.

The Silver Lining -- episodic continuation of the series, the third episode (of five) was just released. Takes the story in a darker direction, but I'm liking it.

Infamous Adventures -- also did a KQ3 point & click remake

I'm super excited that Telltale's going to be making KQ games, but for a while there it looked like the fan games were the only new KQ we'd ever get, so these are always going to have a special place in my heart...

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thesporkman said: It had a really awesome dialogue system based around a notebook with tons of different topics you could ask every single character about

Wow. You must be joking. Laura Bow 2's dialogue system is possibly the WORST designed system in adventure game history. Every time you want to talk to anyone, you have to click to open the notebook. Click to select a topic. Click to select a subtopic. Close the notebook. Etc. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. I can not imagine anything more tedious. No other Sierra game was such a chore to play as that one. Gabriel Knight came close, but was handled much better and the dialogue was better written.

Oh, and let's not forget the fucking QUIZ at the end of the game. Ugh. What a terrible experience.

Colonel's Bequest is a fucking classic though. Shame they screwed up the sequel so badly.

• @Lambonius said: Wow. You must be joking. Laura Bow 2's dialogue system is possibly the WORST designed system in adventure game history. Every time you want to talk to anyone, you have to click to open the notebook. Click to select a topic. Click to select a subtopic. Close the notebook. Etc. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. I can not imagine anything more tedious. No other Sierra game was such a chore to play as that one. Gabriel Knight came close, but was handled much better and the dialogue was better written.

Oh, and let's not forget the fucking QUIZ at the end of the game. Ugh. What a terrible experience.

Colonel's Bequest is a fucking classic though. Shame they screwed up the sequel so badly.

It's been years since I played it, but I don't remember being annoyed at having to click a lot. I just remember liking that there were lots of conversation topics and unique responses for most of them for most of the characters. I still prefer the parser-based dialogue of the original, but I thought the notebook was a pretty good point-and-click compromise. Maybe nostalgia is making me remember the game as being better than it was, but I remember liking it a lot.

• I enjoyed it too, but the scenes where the different suspects were dead really scared me. What I liked about the game was the music, especially the Archaeologist song and the Museum Waltz. I also liked the colorful cast of characters.

• Thanks for all the answers everybody! I downloaded the first two remakes, now all I need is some time. I think I'll use a guide to avoid the dead ends in 4 and 5, but it'll be a while before I get that far. I played a tiny bit of the first remake, and I'm actually rather impressed by the scale, even though the first game is probably not even that big compared to the later games. I wonder how that will translate to a Telltale game.

Anyway, thanks again everybody, you've all been very helpful!

• I'd just like to chime in and say that while I was never a big fan of King's Quest - not in terms of design, at least, even though I was dazzled by the world and graphics back in the day - AGDI's King's Quest II remake is one of my favorite adventure games. Expertly written, with clever puzzles and fantastic pacing, it really is a masterpiece. Can't recommend the game enough.

• @thesporkman said: It's been years since I played it, but I don't remember being annoyed at having to click a lot. I just remember liking that there were lots of conversation topics and unique responses for most of them for most of the characters. I still prefer the parser-based dialogue of the original, but I thought the notebook was a pretty good point-and-click compromise. Maybe nostalgia is making me remember the game as being better than it was, but I remember liking it a lot.

Heh...yeah, to be fair, I probably would have been more forgiving if I had played the game back in the day. But trying to play it for the first time a few years ago, I found the dialogue system horribly clunky and very immersion breaking. :) I loved Laura Bow 1 though. There was a real sense of mystery, exploration, and discovery in that one that I felt was missing from its sequel.

• Apparently one of the AGDI team members REALLY hates the fact that Telltale's gotten the KQ license. He sounds very bitter, and is even making vague accusations of impropriety on Telltale's part in picking the IP up. Not that he isn't in a privileged position to know, but I wonder whether this might not be a case of sour grapes.

• You're kind of exaggerating here. Those posts don't really portray that he hates Telltale at all. Like anybody else on our team we wish we'd gotten the license as well, but it's not like it's a definite no now that Telltale is doing sequels.

Incidentally, KQ3Redux's release date has just been announced. You'll have it in your hands this Wednesday evening (Feb 23rd) PST time.

• @MusicallyInspired said:
    Incidentally, KQ3Redux's release date has just been announced. You'll have it in your hands this Wednesday evening (Feb 23rd) PST time.

Great.

• As I've only recently finished the original three King's Quest games I decided to look at the ADGI remakes and while the first one is a nice direct conversion (with voices!) and the third looks very good from what little I've play of it but the second game has blown me away. Such an improvement on the original, not that the original was bad just lacking in certain areas like a story for instance. And that 3D bit with the magic mirror was a great surprise and works very well.

If their commercial work is as good as these games (I know they've already made on commercial game, and I think I've played it a while back but can't really remember) then I'll definitely look into buying them.

Add Comment