User Avatar Image

Any word on the sound quality?

posted by Harald B on - last edited - Viewed by 395 users

Last season, (perceived) bad audio compression was a source of much debate. IIRC, there would be a kind of tool redesign that would make it easier to swap out audio files for higher quality ones (and/or different language ones, which was an important reason for the redesign). So, what's the status on this?
Will season two have higher quality sound than season one? Will there be separate downloads that increase audio quality?

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Disappointing, after all the complaints, I was sure this area would be addressed with at least slightly improved quality.

• have you played with the bass and tremble settings of your sound card?, if you set the tremble too high and the bass to low itll really suck.

• I think someone earlier said it would be improved somewhat. Maybe I dreamed it :(

• @wisp said: what exactly is "source of sound" referring to?? i didn't notice any problems with sound quality so far..so what should i avoid changing?

My Souncard is an Audigy 2, that has stayed the same. I have a set of creative 2.1 speakers where I believed the 'booming base' disguised the compression artifacts.

I have since gotten myself a pair of Sennheiser earphones, and while the base is still VERY good and prominent, the higher frequencies are also much more descernable. I believe this is where the problem lies.

Hope it helps ;)

• Surely implementing widescreen (which was an awesome move, by the way :) ) was much more difficult than simply choosing to use higher quality sound files? I haven't got a particularly good grasp of anything like this, I just assumed it was a case of having a bigger download size. Is there more to it than that?

I'm not doubting that there's a reason, I just don't understand how increasing the sound quality would be anything other than a moments work?

• @Mr Party Hat said: I just assumed it was a case of having a bigger download size. Is there more to it than that?

I'm not doubting that there's a reason, I just don't understand how increasing the sound quality would be anything other than a moments work?

So far the argument from Telltale seems to be "we're not going to do it", and not much deeper than that.
    It would seem exceptionally simple to do since each individual line is a separate file in the sound dir. The music and sound effects are already higher quality, so you'd only have to replace each dialog file with a higher quality one.

Bandwidth is hardly a problem in today's P2P world. Just put out a torrent on the website here and after it's seeded in a few places the fans will pay for the bandwidth themselves.

*shrug* Dunno. :confused:

• I think if I had the choice between a high quality and low quality sound download, I'd get the low quality so I can get the game downloaded and running as soon as possible (maybe getting the high quality download/patch(?) afterwards).

To be honest, I didn't have any problems with the sound in the first series. It did the job well, I could understand what characters were saying and couldn't hear any hissing unless I was actively looking out for it.

• i have an x-fi and the soundquality was mediocre, sorry, that's how I experienced it. still an awesome game, maybe next season. you won't loose me as a customer over this :D

• The only time I notice the sound quality dip is whenever there is a word with a dominant sound being 's'.

• Ack, that's really unfortunate. I'm not overly surprised that TTG is unwilling to increase audio quality for the downloads. But I am disappointed, to say the least, that neither of the DVD releases of season 1 (so I've been told) included repacked, improved audio.

I believe they're using Speex, which in my experience -- I once tried to encode some audiobook CDs with it -- sounds awful even at its highest settings, and is only barely acceptable for its intended purpose of VoIP applications. But it should require few if any code changes to use Vorbis instead. Considering the entirely acceptable quality of low-bitrate Vorbis (even LAME these days does a remarkable job of compressing speech to about 96kbps VBR MP3s) and the amount of audio in any given Sam & Max episode, I can't imagine it adding more than 50MB to each one.

I hope they're at least saving the original recordings, planning to extort us (and I mean that in the nicest sense of the word ;-) at a later time, maybe once Sam&Max has gone on hiatus and they can sell some multi-season pack. It would be terrible if such excellent games and voice-acting were forever marred by YouTube-quality audio.

Add Comment