User Avatar Image

Reboot or continuation?

posted by doggans on - last edited - Viewed by 603 users

Every article keeps referring to this as a King's Quest "reboot". However, in this article, Telltale's Steve Allison says it's "much like we did with Monkey Island", and I think most of us wouldn't call TOMI a "reboot".

So, when they say "reboot", do they just mean "relaunch"? Will it be a TOMI style continuation? Or a KQII+ style reimagining of the existing timeline?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I thought he was referring about the episodic nature of the game and the reprise of the title after a long time, since everywhere else it has been described as a reboot.

• Makes sense, but I'm not convinced that "reboot" wasn't just a poor word choice that spread like a virus.

Honestly, I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

• I do not see why it just cant be a sequel... they can totally recap in a storybook like fashion at the beginning and it would be completely fitting for KQ.

• I'm totally expecting sequels (multiple seasons) not a reboot of the franchise per se. I think by "reboot" the meaning is actually "relaunch" or "revival."

• Yeah, hopefully it will be a continuation, albeit one that can be played as an introduction (i.e. no heavy story elements from previous games).

Playing as Alexander and Kissima's son/daughter would be cool.

• @StingingVelvet said:
    Playing as Alexander and Kissima's son/daughter would be cool.

NO! King Graham has not been a playable character in an official Kings Quest game in over 20 years.... its time.

• Part of me is still hoping it'll be a five-episode re-imagining of the original KQ1 with an expanded story and adventure. Continuing the story from KQ7 on doesn't really excite me unless Roberta Williams is at least directly involved as a story consultant. One has to admit - she did take the series in directions no fans would ever think of. So for a continuation to be official, I feel she'd need some level of creative input.

• @Irishmile said: NO! King Graham has not been a playable character in an official Kings Quest game in over 20 years.... its time.

I feel ya, I was just trying to think of a way for it to be a continuation and yet feel like a fresh new era for brand new fans.

• I really would like a sequel. It would make me feel far better about the whole thing. The problem is, Telltale has shown that they hate numbers. Season Three of Sam and Max was only referred to that by a small logo on the spine of the disc after-the-fact.

I hate the idea of a reboot. It comes off as arrogant, especially considering the company that has this license now. A reboot comes off as a slap in the face to everyone who ever had fond memories of the franchise, because it implies that Sierra "did it wrong" but, because the names and superficial surface elements are profitable, they're here to "fix" every mistake by making the series into something it never was and was never meant to be, in an attempt to "modernize" an archaic game when, in reality, it is taking a vastly different approach that was seen as equally valid at the time and declaring it "right" once and for all, and directly insulting anyone who dared to think differently about the matter.

Add Comment