User Avatar Image

Kings Quest 1-8

posted by Irishmile on - last edited - Viewed by 863 users

Some of you may not have played any or all of the games. So before you hunt down old copies on ebay or something that you may have a hard time getting to work on a newer system I would like to suggest this alternative... GOG.com offers all 8 original games for about $30 and they broke them into three parts....

Kings Quest 1-3 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/kings_quest_1_2_3

Kings Quest 4-6 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king%E2%80%99s_quest_4_5_6

Kings Quest 7 and 8 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king%E2%80%99s_quest_7_8

as a second alternative you could buy a physical copy of the Kings Quest collection... This has only games 1-7... but in my opinion 8 is NOT really part of the series anyway its more like a spinoff action game set in the same world as KQ.... I mean even the character is not part of the royal family.
http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-Collection-Game-Pack-Pc/dp/B000ZN6MHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298225107&sr=8-2

69 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Farlander said: Wait, DOSBox runs Windows 3.x stuff? O_o Since when? God I feel stupid :D

Windows? I've always run Quest for Glory IV in DOS. I wasn't talking about the Windows version, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Oh, stupid me, I see you did say Windows version in the first place. What're the differences with the DOS version?

• @ATMachine said: Windows? I've always run Quest for Glory IV in DOS. I wasn't talking about the Windows version, I'm afraid.

I was talking about Windows version, though.

• @Farlander said: I was talking about Windows version, though.

Yeah, I saw, sorry. Are there any differences compared to the DOS version?

• @ATMachine said:
    And what's an ATMachine? Easy! That's me!

Haha, yes I realized that and edited it out :D :: feels stupid ::

@ATMachine said: Yeah, I saw, sorry. Are there any differences compared to the DOS version?

The differences are the high-res graphics in places, and the B&W windows icons I believe.

• @KuroShiro said: Haha, yes I realized that and edited it out :D :: feels stupid ::

The differences are the high-res graphics in places, and the B&W windows icons I believe.

It also had less game-killing bugs than the DOS version (at least they didn't manifest themselves that much in any way) which is why I always preferred it.

Now that I think about it, I also remember that the DOS version didn't have that cool flaming sword effect for the Paladin.

• @Farlander said: It also had less game-killing bugs than the DOS version (at least they didn't manifest themselves that much in any way) which is why I always preferred it.

Now that I think about it, I also remember that the DOS version didn't have that cool flaming sword effect for the Paladin.

IIRC, the DOS version of the QFG4 CD release did include the flaming sword. It was the floppy disk release that left it out by mistake.

• OMG I just updated my version of Scummvm and did what you guys said using my old old CD copy and clicked the talk bubble over the hill on the beach and viola..... "HELLO"

just so people can see what we are talking about if they are not aware.... here is the difference

Alexander saying Hello Windows on the left ... DOS on the right....
    He once again looks like Kyle McLaughlin circa twin peaks era.
    hellof.jpg

I really hope TTG include the talking portraits to their game.... I know its less cinematic... but there is a certain charm to it.

• Alexander looks like he's getting ready to smoke some pole. Must be the TSL version.

On a more serious note, I liked the dialog portraits, too, but I don't see them being relevant in a game nowadays. The main reason they were done in the first place was because of the low resolution and low detail on the game sprites. Most of the actual sprites in Sierra games didn't even have visible facial features. It's hard to relate to characters when you can't see their faces, and it makes conversations fall kind of flat. The dialog boxes were an integral solution to this. They aren't necessary in a game that actually has good graphics. ;)

• Oh I am fully aware of the reasons they had them.... Sierra even got rid of them as soon as they could... but it would be kind of cool to have them in somewhere.

• @Irishmile said: Oh I am fully aware of the reasons they had them.... Sierra even got rid of them as soon as they could... but it would be kind of cool to have them in somewhere.

Perhaps a talking portrait as a character that has a frame designed just like the frame for character portraits. =P

Add Comment