User Avatar Image

King's Quest NEEDS to have deaths.

posted by David J Prokopetz on - last edited - Viewed by 776 users

There needs to be at least one way to trigger an elaborate and utterly arbitrary death cutscene on every single screen.

Am I wrong? :D

(Bonus points if the narrator mocks your corpse with cheesy wordplay afterwards.)

94 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've said it before and I say it again, and this is coming from a LucasArts adventure game fanboy, Telltale need to follow the Sierra design philosophy when making King's Quest, and this means there needs to be deaths. They don't have to be unfair deaths necessarily, but if you are stupid enough wake the sleeping troll more than once then he is going to kill you.

They don't need to bring back deadends though, they're just a royal pain.

• My only worry is that they won't understand how to go about it given their expressed opinions on it and just throw deaths in any old way at all. But it seems like more people than just Dave Grossman (if he) will be involved, and the Telltale member that appears to be the one leading the project is a big fan. So....in short, we don't know.

• And the game must delete parts of your hard-disc when you die

• They could sell a peripheral device that punches you right in the testicles if you die....

• @Andorxor said: And the game must delete parts of your hard-disc when you die

only parts? no it needs to format the whole thing.

• @Woodsyblue said: They don't need to bring back deadends though, they're just a royal pain.

Well put. :)

@Woodsyblue said: only parts? no it needs to format the whole thing.
    Even better, it could downgrade the hardware to 1982 standards. Then you could not even play the original, first, classic, non-remade King's Quest. The ultimate dead end short of the big one.

• @GaryCXJk said: There should be an Ironman mode, where you must play through the entire game without dying AND without saving (although savestate saving could be an option).

That's actually how I completed the CGA KQI 20+ years ago - I couldn't figure out how to switch floppies to save games, so I always played the game in a single session. Imagine the fun when you slip off the stairs or run into the dwarf after collecting all three treasures...

• @Simo Sakari Aaltonen said: Even better, it could downgrade the hardware to 1982 standards. Then you could not even play the original, first, classic, non-remade King's Quest. The ultimate dead end short of the big one.

It should do what the slot machine does to Roger Wilco in SQI - that would be a real DEAD end.

• Thanks for playing King's Quest... next time, be more careful!

Whoops, our mistake - there won't BE a next time!

:)

• @Emily said: (A "try again" option is an okay compromise. But when you get into sequences where the death happens quickly and you can't figure out in time how to avoid it, that gets tiresome. I'm thinking of some of the scenes in KQ7, like the one with that giant beetle/scorpion thing... my god, Valanice, STOP SCREAMING AND DO SOMETHING!)

I'm not bothered too much by sequences where you have to react fast to avoid deat; I find unavoidable deaths caused by random events much more annoying.
    Like walking into the cyborg in SQXII - if he's on screen when you walk in, you can't even get out of the way; you can only stand there waiting for your death.

Add Comment