User Avatar Image

Art Direction

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users

Okay, I think this deserves its own thread:

What kind of general art direction do you wan the game to take? What is your favorite game in terms of in-game art?

I personally would love something that looks similar to the AGD Interactive and Infamous Adventures remakes of the first few King's Quest games:

XNHox.jpgQDcxt.jpgPpX1A.jpg

A lush, "painted" look with a vibrant, storybook color palette. I think looking at the game should give a similar impression as looking at the box art for previous games, I-V specifically. I think a storybook color palette(erring on the side of "earthy" tones) is really important, and I would love to get the impression that the world exists on a storybook page, possibly with a perspective to cement that(with a camera similar to that in the earlier King's Quest games for atmosphere purposes). I don't think King's Quest is a franchise whose roots are in cinema, unlike Police Quest which draws from police dramas and Space Quest which draws from science fiction "Flash Gordon"-type influences, so a "cinematic" approach to the camera would seem wrong, like an "adaptation" of a fairytale on screen being adapted into a game, rather than adapting the fairytale itself in game form.

101 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Secret Fawful said: I like how you automatically assume I wouldn't like that piece. You're really shitty when it comes to figuring people out, Tope. Try harder or quit trying. Here's a hint: quick judgments are bad. No one is as simple as you make them out to be.

    Whoa there, calm down. Tope actually suggested that I edit my post to include that piece, but I said it was too dark in comparison to Kinkade and not what you were looking for, so if there's anyone you should be yelling at, it's me. Either way, don't be assuming that she's trying to antagonize you, because trust me, she's not. >8(

    By the way, I didn't reply back because I kinda realized that there are very few artists who do that cottage-y thing that Kinkade does, and while I could post paintings with candy-coated color schemes and bright lighting that I like, it still wouldn't be the same subject matter. I just don't really like his stuff, and the reason I thought you were trolling earlier is that Kinkade's pretty unpopular among artists, both high-brow and low-brow. It's just unusual is all.

  • I'm completely calm and my post is not directed at any form of antagonism. I'm simply saying to assume that that piece is outside of my tastes is so beyond the truth that it shows a very shitty understanding of my tastes at all.

    You thought I was trolling? You know, it's times like that that make me want to stop screwing around on these forums. I won't, but the comparison to real trolling does give me the incentive. I also kind of wanted to quit replying because I didn't want every other post in this topic to be mine, but I did kind of have to set Tope's assumption right. I never knew Kinkade was unpopular.

  • @Secret Fawful said: I like how you automatically assume I wouldn't like that piece. You're really shitty when it comes to figuring people out, Tope. Try harder or quit trying. Here's a hint: quick judgments are bad. No one is as simple as you make them out to be..

    Erm..

    I wasn't expecting you to not like it, I was just posting it as an example similar to what you described liking.

    You say quick judgments are bad, and yet you judged me as to think that I think of others simply. I really don't, nor was my post even attacking you. In fact I was trying to extend an olive branch, but if you don't want it, then fine. :(

  • @Secret Fawful said: You thought I was trolling? You know, it's times like that that make me want to stop screwing around on these forums. I won't, but the comparison to real trolling does give me the incentive. I also kind of wanted to quit replying because I didn't want every other post in this topic to be mine, but I did kind of have to set Tope's assumption right. I never knew Kinkade was unpopular.

    Yes, Kinkade is unpopular. Saying you like Thomas Kinkade is like an aspiring singer saying he likes Justin Bieber. Does it really matter? No, but making a statement like that will raise eyebrows no matter what.

  • @Giant Tope said: Erm..

    I wasn't expecting you to not like it, I was just posting it as an example similar to what you described liking.

    You say quick judgments are bad, and yet you judged me as to think that I think of others simply. I really don't, nor was my post even attacking you. In fact I was trying to extend an olive branch, but if you don't want it, then fine. :(

    You're right that I judged you, but it was no quick judgment. It's one I've developed over time. And again, I didn't say you were attacking me. Your whole post reeks of more extreme assumptions. I feel I've caused this topic to go in a very silly direction. Despite that, I obviously misinterpreted your original post, so I apologize. Forget it.

    @Giant Tope said: Yes, Kinkade is unpopular. Saying you like Thomas Kinkade is like an aspiring singer saying he likes Justin Bieber. Does it really matter? No, but making a statement like that will raise eyebrows no matter what.

    I'll have to read more of that link, but I would definitely love to be able to "paint circles around this guy". Maybe I should go to Art Center. :D

  • guys

    can we talk about art with dragons in it now

  • Sure thing! Let's talk the Brothers Hildebrandt, my next choice for an inspiration for King's Quest.

    weUbT.jpgIyRhV.jpgaM1O1.jpgPnQUN.jpg66CUj.jpg90SUE.jpgEjPYo.jpg

  • I've always loved Ivan Bilibin's style, though I'm not sure if it would really fit with the with the game. What do you guys think?

    lxSyVl.jpgnpbWHl.jpg

  • I don't see one dragon in either of those pictures.

  • Maybe you're not squinting hard enough.

Add Comment