User Avatar Image

Kings Quest 1-8

posted by Irishmile on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Some of you may not have played any or all of the games. So before you hunt down old copies on ebay or something that you may have a hard time getting to work on a newer system I would like to suggest this alternative... GOG.com offers all 8 original games for about $30 and they broke them into three parts....

Kings Quest 1-3 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/kings_quest_1_2_3

Kings Quest 4-6 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king%E2%80%99s_quest_4_5_6

Kings Quest 7 and 8 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king%E2%80%99s_quest_7_8

as a second alternative you could buy a physical copy of the Kings Quest collection... This has only games 1-7... but in my opinion 8 is NOT really part of the series anyway its more like a spinoff action game set in the same world as KQ.... I mean even the character is not part of the royal family.
http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-Collection-Game-Pack-Pc/dp/B000ZN6MHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298225107&sr=8-2

69 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I personally think that would fit in rather well.

also on a related note... Kings Quest 6 was the very first CD I had ever owned we had just got a new computer my mom bought the game for me when she bought the PC... I didn't even own a CD player at the time... The CD-ROM seemed like some sort of space-age technology to me... I still own it.

• @KuroShiro said: Yes it is. All the SCI games are, though it may take a while :).

No, it's not. QFG4 is an SCI32 (SCI2, or something later than SCI1.1 anyway) game and is technically not officially supported yet. Some games might open but there will be a myriad of bugs.

@KuroShiro said: Wait, DOSBox runs Windows 3.x stuff? O_o Since when? God I feel stupid :D

If you have Win3.x you can install it inside DOSBox. That's what I did and I run all my Sierra Windows versions that way. There are tutorials on the VOGONS forums.

• @MusicallyInspired said: No, it's not. QFG4 is an SCI32 (SCI2, or something later than SCI1.1 anyway) game and is technically not officially supported yet. Some games might open but there will be a myriad of bugs.

He asked if it was in development, not if it was supported. It is. :rolleyes: SCI2+ is currently being worked on.

• So do the originals run on scummvm or not?

• @prizna said: So do the originals run on scummvm or not?

1-6 do, 7+8 do not.

• The GOG.com 7+8 bundle for $10 works on newer systems though.

• I used to have the King's Quest Collection 2 and it came with the Windows version of King's Quest VI. It had the DOS character portraits.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I bought the King's Quest Collection (1-7) when it was on sale at Steam for Christmas.

I'll probably pick up King's Quest 7+8 at GOG.com if it drops to $5 during a sale to complete the series.

I used to own a few King's Quest games back when I was a little girl, but I don't think I ever finished them. Of course, I thought the same thing about Space Quest, but when I played through Space Quest V I realized I completed it when I was younger, but forgot that I had. The only King's Quest game I ever got through far enough to maybe complete back then was King's Quest VI. I remember that game being my favorite.

I'm playing through the King's Quest games on ScummVM now, and I'm currently playing King's Quest V. Once I get to six I'll finally be able to find out just how far I actually did get in that game back then. :)

• @philthethrill said: I used to have the King's Quest Collection 2 and it came with the Windows version of King's Quest VI. It had the DOS character portraits.

I believe its because they used DOS box to run.

• I didn't know the early Sierra games were working well in Scumm now either... great news! I just copied all the files from my King's Quest VI CD over to my PC and got the Windows version working in ScummVM! Cool stuff!

Does anyone know how to get ScummVM to be fullscreen and yet also keep the image to a smaller centered box? DosBox does this and that is how I prefer to play these old games, kept a smaller image size yet with black around them to avoid seeing the desktop while I play.

Thanks in advance.

Add Comment