User Avatar Image

The Hint System

posted by Datadog on - last edited - Viewed by 279 users

We all know Telltale's going to throw in a hint system regardless. Every one of their games has one. But I just thought of a cool way they could pull it off in King's Quest:

Do the hint system in the style of one of those old Sierra hint books. You know, the ones covered in red ink where you have to look through red cellophane just to see subtle hints and answers. An in-game version of that would be much better suited towards KQ than having the character blurt out what they think they should do next.

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If they put a hint system in they should default it to 0% instead of 50%. And not even mention its existence. People should know by now that Telltale's games have a hint system. No ugly buttons on the screen or annoying popups.

• @MusicallyInspired said: If they put a hint system in they should default it to 0% instead of 50%. And not even mention its existence. People should know by now that Telltale's games have a hint system. No ugly buttons on the screen or annoying popups.

I might be okay with them mentioning it on a set-up screen, similar to how Season 2 treated settings.

• A one-time mention at the startup of the game (or setup like you say) it cool. As long as its never mentioned in-game.

• @MusicallyInspired said: A one-time mention at the startup of the game (or setup like you say) it cool. As long as its never mentioned in-game.

KQ5-Graham-and-Cedric-e1278040152388.jpg

Cedric: "Graham, if your having trouble getting past this puzzle, there's a POIsonous hint button on the top right corner of the screen!"

• Dear lord - a pop-up Cedric who's always in your face and giving you hints every ten seconds. This absolutely, positively, indisputably NEEDS to happen. :D

• If it's King's quest there's only one way for it to work.
    First hint gives cryptic clue
    second hint is just slightly less vague
    hitting hint a third time on a single puzzle kills you instantly!

• As far as I'm concerned that's the way it should be. People need to learn to think again. :P

• @Datadog said: Dear lord - a pop-up Cedric who's always in your face and giving you hints every ten seconds. This absolutely, positively, indisputably NEEDS to happen. :D

For the record TellTale, I'm pretty certain this is sarcasm from Datadog. I know you probably know this, but I'm taking no chances :)

Yes, have a hint system. Put it in the same place it's always been: subtly embedded in the scenery, descriptions, dialogue, symbology, music, sounds and books (say an in-game Guidebook to the land of the green Isles sort of thing).

We're pampered enough with the internet for the game itself to say, "it's o.k, you don't have to be struggle, You deserve to keep watching this movie!". What if all our teachers did that?

• @Blooglspash said: KQ5-Graham-and-Cedric-e1278040152388.jpg

Cedric: "Graham, if your having trouble getting past this puzzle, there's a POIsonous hint button on the top right corner of the screen!"

Let's even improve that.

Cedric: "Graham, if your having trouble getting past this puzzle, there's a POIIIIISONOUS hint button on the top right corner of the screen! Maybe we can UUUUUUUUUUSE it.

Edit: and when the player klicks on the hint system ist is a death trap.

Graham: *uuuuuuuuuuses hint system*
    Cedric: No Graham stay away frem the edge
    Graham AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @MusicallyInspired said: As far as I'm concerned that's the way it should be. People need to learn to think again. :P

I am a high school math teacher, and you have no idea how right you are.

Add Comment