User Avatar Image

Art Direction

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Okay, I think this deserves its own thread:

What kind of general art direction do you wan the game to take? What is your favorite game in terms of in-game art?

I personally would love something that looks similar to the AGD Interactive and Infamous Adventures remakes of the first few King's Quest games:

XNHox.jpgQDcxt.jpgPpX1A.jpg

A lush, "painted" look with a vibrant, storybook color palette. I think looking at the game should give a similar impression as looking at the box art for previous games, I-V specifically. I think a storybook color palette(erring on the side of "earthy" tones) is really important, and I would love to get the impression that the world exists on a storybook page, possibly with a perspective to cement that(with a camera similar to that in the earlier King's Quest games for atmosphere purposes). I don't think King's Quest is a franchise whose roots are in cinema, unlike Police Quest which draws from police dramas and Space Quest which draws from science fiction "Flash Gordon"-type influences, so a "cinematic" approach to the camera would seem wrong, like an "adaptation" of a fairytale on screen being adapted into a game, rather than adapting the fairytale itself in game form.

101 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How about Andy Hoyos' style? He was the Art Director on both KQV and KQVII, and many Sierra classics, including Quest for Glory III and Phantasmagoria and a truckload of others.

I just thought of him because I think he participated as a voice actor in IA's remake of KQIII so perhaps he's "approachable". Having him on board to draw concept art and maybe even actual backgrounds or art assets for the game would sure as hell kick butt.

And besides, even though KQVI is my favorite of the series (that one's Art Director was William Skirvin), I still see KQV as the ultimate game in terms of fantasy art and backgrounds. Everything was so detailed and moody, quite a feat at this low resolution!

Here's a concept montage of some of Andy Hoyos' stuff for Sierra. The image footer says "King's Quest" but there are sketches from Mixed-Up Fairy Tales and I think QFGIII as well.

Then again, Telltale already has very talented concept artists.

• Sorry to interrupt the discussion.

I'm a newcomer to the series and just decided to give KQ a try a few months ago.
    I saw this thread and seeing it was created by Rather Dashing, became curious what is his vision of the artistic style of KQ should be as a big fan.

Seeing that the series is apparently has a fantasy Narnia-esque atmosphere (as far as I read your comments), I thought I should introduce a game that in my opinion successfully manages to create Lush forest atmospheres.

The Path by Tale-of-Tales. (Images below are taken from the respective screen-shot gallery of AdventureGamers.com )

9744.jpg9730.jpg9741.jpg9725.jpg9742.jpg

They are researching for ways that makes them able to make such painting like atmospheres even better.

PS: @RatherDashing: Sorry for posting your first re-action. Don't be ashamed of it, I had my embarresing first reactions too ...
    I'll remove it if you want me to.

• [quote=deadwolf;456637]how about andy hoyos' style? He was the art director on both kqv and kqvii, and many sierra classics, including quest for glory iii and phantasmagoria and a truckload of others.

I just thought of him because i think he participated as a voice actor in ia's remake of kqiii so perhaps he's "approachable". Having him on board to draw concept art and maybe even actual backgrounds or art assets for the game would sure as hell kick butt.

And besides, even though kqvi is my favorite of the series (that one's art director was william skirvin), i still see kqv as the ultimate game in terms of fantasy art and backgrounds. Everything was so detailed and moody, quite a feat at this low resolution!

Here's a concept montage of some of andy hoyos' stuff for sierra. The image footer says "king's quest" but there are sketches from mixed-up fairy tales and i think qfgiii as well.

Then again, telltale already has very talented concept artists.[/quote]

Yes.

• sure got magic the gathering in here once i left

• I would like to see the art direction done like Jurassic Park or something similar.

• @doom saber said: I would like to see the art direction done like Jurassic Park or something similar.

Why.

• I like Yalex's artwork on deviantart, especially his fairy tale pictures because they look like storybook illustrations. These pictures are small, but if you click on them, you can see the larger version. I did this to make it easier on Kroms. See his post here to find out why.

Cinderella_3_by_yalex.jpg Cinderella_5_by_yalex.jpg Cinderella_7_prince_by_yalex.jpg

__Sleeping_Beauty___cover_by_yalex.jpg Perrault___Sleeping_Beauty___1_by_yalex. Perrault_Sleeping_Beauty_2_by_yalex.jpg

Sleeping_Beauty__4_by_yalex.jpg Perrault___Sleeping_Beauty___5_by_yalex. Perrault___Sleeping_Beauty___7_by_yalex.

Little_red_riding_hood_by_yalex.jpg Puss_in_Boots_by_yalex.jpg Snow_queen_by_yalex.jpg

• I think Oblivion is to take in HUGE considetration to how model the landscapes.
    I choosed an old title like this (2004!!!!!), because I think that the TelltaleTool can reach an almost 7 years old... at least I hope so.... The Telltale Tool seems old in BTTF, I hope JP gives good news.
    3_G.jpgoblivion_004.jpg

And THIS wonderful video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaOJME5h5pQ

• Hey guys.

You know about that hoo haa that happened when Canada was threatened with a 25 GB cap per month, and the world laughed?

We here in Jordan get a 15 GB cap if we're lucky.

Try to lessen up on the big images, for my sake.

• I think Oblivion is to take in HUGE considetration to how model the landscapes.

I agree. I watched the trailer and it made me feel as if I was there. Everything looked so realistic.

Try to lessen up on the big images, for my sake.

I found a great guide that shows you how to make thumbnails. A thumbnail is a small picture which you can click on to see a bigger picture.

Let me show you an example with one of the fairy tale pictures I posted from Yalex.

Cinderella_7_prince_by_yalex.jpg

I know it's small, but when you click on it, you'll see the larger version. Isn't that neat? And it takes up less space and makes it easier on people like Kroms. Here's the guide. http://learn-bbcode.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-to-post-pictures-clickable.html

I think I'll edit my post with the big pictures and make them smaller.

Add Comment