User Avatar Image

Exclusivity over the license.

posted by Sslaxx on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Just because I'd like to see (one of) the AGDI guys stop their whining, even though it's very unlikely to be answered here...

Is Telltale's license to use the various Sierra-related IP exclusive?

165 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sabin Stargem said: AGDI is definitely not an amateur outfit. They have already sold at least one professional game under their Himalaya banner, and created 4 excellent remakes of Sierra titles. I think that it is likely that Telltale and Himalaya would be rivals, not unlike Sierra and LucasArts in their heyday.

That said, I do find it rather puzzling that Telltale was entrusted with the King's Quest license, considering how well AGDI handled the license, while Telltale has no previous history with it. That said, maybe this would help motivate Himalaya to begin one-upping Telltale. :)

I think Telltale was chosen over AGD because of studio size and experience. While it is true that AGDI is now a commercial company, the studio is made up of at least six people whereas TTG has more than maybe 20 for a project. AGDi, imo, is an Indy studio with the programmers also doing the art and storyline. TTG has programmers, artists, and writers. TTG has a better track record in releasing games in a timely manner since they have a bigger budget. The Kq series was a big property during its prime, so it would be more appropriate to give the license to a company that has more professional experience making commercial games. Perhaps Activision is not certain if a full fledge Kq game would sell, so they probably give it to a company who makes episodic games to test the waters.

• I'm pretty sure Activision don't give a toss beyond "how much money is this going to make us". In that regard, TTG are far more likely the safe pair of hands. And really, considering the way that Activision treats its studios and franchises, are the guys at AGDI really that surprised?

• No one mentioned the Infamous Adventures team :(

• @Bagriin said: No one mentioned the Infamous Adventures team :(

I love Infamous Adventures :). Really looking forward to their Space Quest II remake.

• @Olaus Petrus said: Personally I trust that TTG can handle this job better than some amateur group.

While I do still love Telltale, each and every amateur group, even the mediocre ones, makes games that feel a lot more like Sierra than anything Telltale's ever made.

• @Sslaxx said: I'm pretty sure Activision don't give a toss beyond "how much money is this going to make us". In that regard, TTG are far more likely the safe pair of hands. And really, considering the way that Activision treats its studios and franchises, are the guys at AGDI really that surprised?

Agreed. While AGDI only made one professional game so far, it didn't left a mark like their fan games have made.

• @Sslaxx said: Is Telltale's license to use the various Sierra-related IP exclusive?

Um...I don't work for Telltale or Activision, so for all I know maybe there really is such a deal, but why would a new King's Quest game give Telltale the license to every other Sierra property?

We didn't see any other LucasArts properties getting revived after Tales, because, well...Telltale only had the license to do Monkey Island.

• @RAnthonyMahan said: Um...I don't work for Telltale or Activision, so for all I know maybe there really is such a deal, but why would a new King's Quest game give Telltale the license to every other Sierra property?

We didn't see any other LucasArts properties getting revived after Tales, because, well...Telltale only had the license to do Monkey Island.

The difference is that Lucasarts is an active company and Activision effectively killed their Sierra division after the merger. So the speculation would be that Activision might have licensed multiple franchises to TTG if they were interested.

• Sierra was killed long before the ActiVision merger. In fact, it was killed before the Vivendi buy-out.

• @doggans said: While I do still love Telltale, each and every amateur group, even the mediocre ones, makes games that feel a lot more like Sierra than anything Telltale's ever made.

Quoted for truth. And I'm not just saying that because I'm in one of those groups.

Seriously though, anyone who isn't impressed by AGDI's just-released KQIII Redux is no fan of King's Quest. The game is fucking fantastic. Probably the best fan product out there.

And no, I'm not on the AGDI team. ;)

Add Comment