User Avatar Image

Should the TTG King's Quest games have fanservice?

posted by doom saber on - last edited - Viewed by 738 users

Anyone thinks that TTG should add a lot of references to the previous KQ games? Personally, I want to see TTG handle the game w/o having too much fanservice. Fanservice is good, but there is a fine line in using just the right amount without making the entire game feels like it is trying too hard to fit with the other series. Typically, a lot of fangames and fan fiction suffers from this esp if the writer of such a fict loves a specific title. No offense to the TSL, but that game is littered with fan service.

Commercial games are not immune to this as licensed titles from TV shows also has this. For instance, games like the Simpsons and Family Guy usually have a lot of references to various episodes.

Furthermore, games that aren't licensed has this problem as well - One of the bad things, imo, about the MCL LSL game is that it focuses too much on fan service.

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Lately they went too far with fanservice tbh.
    Sam & Max 305 for example. Too many characters that were walking in waving their hands and leaving again and then there was this horrible scene when Sam said "Sam & Max fans are the best in the world" into a camera.

please not too much fanservice in these games.

• @der_ketzer said: Lately they went too far with fanservice tbh.
    Sam & Max 305 for example. Too many characters that were walking in waving their hands and leaving again and then there was this horrible scene when Sam said "Sam & Max fans are the best in the world" into a camera.

Are you talking about fan service as in the game acknowledges the fans? I was talking more akin to games that references memorable moments in a previous game all the time. A good example is the Final Fantasy Advent Children movie where they brought back "dead" and living characters to please the fans.

• @der_ketzer said: then there was this horrible scene when Sam said "Sam & Max fans are the best in the world" into a camera.

Isn't that more of breaking the fourth wall? Some characters do it all the time, like Deadpool.

• @tomimt said: Isn't that more of breaking the fourth wall? Some characters do it all the time, like Deadpool.

That is what I am thinking as well.

• @doom saber said: Are you talking about fan service as in the game acknowledges the fans? I was talking more akin to games that references memorable moments in a previous game all the time. A good example is the Final Fantasy Advent Children movie where they brought back "dead" and living characters to please the fans.

I was talking about both in my post.
    Why did we need Abe in there (who didn't even have a descent line), why Satan etc.?

• I'm sure there will be at least some subtle references to past games, like how KQ6 featured references in the pawn shop, but I would be very surprised if they had major plot points and characters related to previous games.

• I think there is a big difference between gratuitous "fan service" and plain old references that feel natural in context. Personally I have no interest in the former and find it very off-putting. Regular references are another matter.

• @Simo Sakari Aaltonen said: I think there is a big difference between gratuitous "fan service" and plain old references that feel natural in context. Personally I have no interest in the former and find it very off-putting. Regular references are another matter.

Agreed. It is one of the main reasons why I find TSL very off-putting. It appears the writers decided on the references first and then write a story around it as oppose to the other way around. It is a fangame, so I guess they are allowed to do it.

The small references in Sierra titles like in LSL is imo a good balance of reference that feels natural in context.

• @doom saber said:
    The small references in Sierra titles like in LSL is imo a good balance of reference that feels natural in context.

Yup, the ending of LSL3 was subtle as hell.

:p

...which was probably the most epic fourth wall breaker in history of gaming. Never been topped since.

• I loved that kind of thing in the Sierra originals. It was part of the experience and never struck me as self-indulgent or anything. There was always a tight "editorial" rein on the execution, so that it felt like a totally natural part of the whole...

Add Comment