User Avatar Image

when did Einstein come from?

posted by Michael J Fox is Canadian on - last edited - Viewed by 891 users

Something that I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around in these epsidoes is Einsteins timeline.

When einstein shows up at the beginning of episode 1, when does he come from? It can't be a later time travel Doc and marty make as the timeline does not work that way. If it is after doc is initially killed, how did he get ednas shoe? It doesnt seem like the shoe has been stolen yet from what we see.

Should there have been 2 einsteins in hill valley while marty was breaking doc out of jail?

Also why on earth did they leave einstein there? When they first leave 1931 (not realizing they are returning to a compromosed timeline), the plan is for doc and marty to return to 1986 and doc to iron out his estate. But einstein was with 1931 doc and not like 1986 doc can go back and pick him up from his younger self, he'd need marty to do that anyways so why did they bother leaving einstein there where a) it would mean they'd have to make another time travel b) they'd be putting einstein in danger leaving him in a foreign time period and c) potentially changing the timeline if einstein being with young doc somehow created a ripple effect

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Shadowknight1 said: Posting from another thread as it is also relevant here:

When Marty arrives in 1931, Einstein paws at Edna and she says, "That mangy dog assaulted me once before" before going into the store, griping and whining about how something's a law and we should look it up. It can be inferred that when Doc was thrown in jail, Einstein then assaulted Edna, took the shoe, and went back to the DeLorean. That way, if Doc was fine, he was sitting there ready to go home. If he wasn't, he would arrive in 1986 to find Marty.

I agree. I think Einstein went to go wait in the hidden past DeLorean, the one that Doc used to get to 1931 not the future present one that Marty used to return Einstein to 1931, and so this theory can explain away where Einstein was. As for where the past Doc's Delorean is hidden and just how he believes it would not be found in any of the split timelines beats me. Time travel is a head ache. I'm not surprised you've found possible holes in TellTale's story. Otherwise, I definitely believe that Einie stole Edna's shoe prior to Marty returning to 1931.

Here's another theory: what if Enie didn't go back with Doc? What if Doc assumes Einie came there with Marty and doesn't question how or when Marty came to collect Einie? I'm still thinking the intro tutorial of Episode 1 ties in somewhere and Einie popped into the time stream some time he wasn't supposed to during the movie's testing of the Delorean and possibly returned to that point in time by this game's end to avoid the paradox/collapsing of the space-time continuum as seen in Marty's dream. But now I'm just grasping at air here. Obviously Einie got Edna's shoe, so he was obviously in that time period at some point. Eh, time travel and plot holes! What you going to do?

• I think what we've heard from Edna, saying "that dog has assaulted me before" in episode 1, will probably be the explanation here. 1986 Edna didn't even really realize it was missing anyway. Maybe she's just senile but who knows?

• @zounds! said: I think what we've heard from Edna, saying "that dog has assaulted me before" in episode 1, will probably be the explanation here. 1986 Edna didn't even really realize it was missing anyway. Maybe she's just senile but who knows?

Yes she did, she even kept the other shoe and puts them together.

And yes I buy into the recent point brought up; einy and edna obviously had a run in prior to marty arriving in 1931.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: Yes she did, she even kept the other shoe and puts them together.

I know, but she was all like "oh, there's that shoe..." she didn't seem to notice or care that it was a brand new shoe, she just puts it with the other one because, I think she just assumed she misplaced it somewhere.

• He came from Uranus from the year 3025, and is infact an alien disguised as a dog that invented the time machine for doc while he was asleep in 1985.

• @PrivateJoker said: He came from Uranus from the year 3025, and is infact an alien disguised as a dog that invented the time machine for doc while he was asleep in 1985.

close

• @zounds! said: close

Yes I know. Thats why Doc named his dog Einstein...because his dog was smarter than him and was the "first" time traveler.

• @Rather Dashing said: Gestation period for dogs is about nine weeks.

Is it? I was gonna look it up to help this guy answer his question but apparently (and wierdly) some people know that off of the top of thier head! :p

• @zounds! said: I think what we've heard from Edna, saying "that dog has assaulted me before" in episode 1, will probably be the explanation here. 1986 Edna didn't even really realize it was missing anyway. Maybe she's just senile but who knows?

I just want to know why she kept that shoe. She must have placed some special importance on the event that caused her to miss her other shoe.

• The last time entered can be seen (albiet barely, twice!) when you go to 1931 (Only after you have the date from Mrs. Strickland.)

The Delorean doesn't go back to Marty until the 16th of the month specified in 1931, 2 days after Doc was killed.

Add Comment