User Avatar Image

Exclusivity over the license.

posted by Sslaxx on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Just because I'd like to see (one of) the AGDI guys stop their whining, even though it's very unlikely to be answered here...

Is Telltale's license to use the various Sierra-related IP exclusive?

165 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: KQ7

This one had deaths but you could retry as often as you liked. (like in Phantasmagoria 2.)

• Yes, that's my point. All the games I listed have deaths with retries.

• @doom saber said: King's Quest 3 redux is starting to grow on me. The only AGDI title I didn't enjoy playing was KQ2+. However, both QG2 and KQ3 are fun. Perhaps it is because AGDI stuck with the main story and added new content that was present in the manual or Greek mythology,

I like how they added the journal entries from the previous slave boy.

I agree. I think that the more low key fleshing out of the game works much better at freshening up the feel of the original than the complete rewrite of KQ2+ (though I really liked that, too.) And yeah, gradually uncovering the activities of the previous Gwydion was a stroke of genius, in my opinion. It perfectly fleshes out that bit of back story while also adding a great sense of intrigue and urgency to Alexander's current plight.

• @Lambonius said: I agree. I think that the more low key fleshing out of the game works much better at freshening up the feel of the original than the complete rewrite of KQ2+ (though I really liked that, too.) And yeah, gradually uncovering the activities of the previous Gwydion was a stroke of genius, in my opinion. It perfectly fleshes out that bit of back story while also adding a great sense of intrigue and urgency to Alexander's current plight.

I think KQ2+ kind of "TSLed" the series. While they kept the tone of the classic games (unlike TSL), they attempted to tie EVERY SINGLE GAME together by shoehorning in some grand, ''epic'' conspiracy/prophecy going back 1000 years. I don't feel there needs to be a conspiracy, or a prophecy, or any of that crap. I don't even feel we need to revisit the (only mentioned in one line in KQ6) Black Cloak Society. Each KQ game was a relatively self contained story, with only a low key tie to the previous games. Even in KQIV, you didn't need to play KQIII to understand the intro.

• @Lambonius said: Fair enough. I'm sorry. :) I'm just saying that if you liked the feel of the old VGA KQ games, you owe it to yourself to at least give AGDI's games a try. The just-released KQ3Redux in particular is probably the best fan-made game yet, by any group.

Maybe I will at some point. Unfortunately I have too little time for playing these days and at the moment Jane Jensen's Gray Matter is occupying all of that time.

@Lambonius said: I think KQ2+ kind of "TSLed" the series. While they kept the tone of the classic games (unlike TSL), they attempted to tie EVERY SINGLE GAME together by shoehorning in some grand, ''epic'' conspiracy/prophecy going back 1000 years. I don't feel there needs to be a conspiracy, or a prophecy, or any of that crap. I don't even feel we need to revisit the (only mentioned in one line in KQ6) Black Cloak Society. Each KQ game was a relatively self contained story, with only a low key tie to the previous games. Even in KQIV, you didn't need to play KQIII to understand the intro.

I never understood why some people try to link all the King's Quest baddies, because IMHO it's just silly. There are some real connections like family ties between Manannan and Mordack, but most of the connections were either invented by the writers of King's Quest Companion or fans. In similar manner Space Quest Companion tries to link baddies like Elmo Pug and Raemes T. Quirk to Sludge Vohaul.

In both cases it's completely unnecessary and stories work better if baddies have no connection with each other, like the game designers intended it would be. Roberta and many fans have completely different views about the Black Cloak Society's importance. Personally I feel that Companions and other material like that are bit uncanonical.

• @Olaus Petrus said: Maybe I will at some point. Unfortunately I have too little time for playing these days and at the moment Jane Jensen's Gray Matter is occupying all of that time.

I never understood why some people try to link all the King's Quest baddies, because IMHO it's just silly. There are some real connections like family ties between Manannan and Mordack, but most of the connections were either invented by the writers of King's Quest Companion or fans. In similar manner Space Quest Companion tries to link baddies like Elmo Pug and Raemes T. Quirk to Sludge Vohaul.

In both cases it's completely unnecessary and stories work better if baddies have no connection with each other, like the game designers intended it would be. Roberta and many fans have completely different views about the Black Cloak Society's importance. Personally I feel that Companions and other material like that are bit uncanonical.

Roberta didn't even know there was about the Black Cloak Society until years later when fans brought it up. She recalled briefly musing over the idea of an organization which would've had ONLY Alhazred, Mordack and Manannan early in co-designing KQ6 with Jane Jensen, and Jensen later included it in the finished KQ6. It was never something she seemed to take that seriously, and note that neither KQ7 nor KQ8 so much as mentioned it.

KQ2+ and TSL seem to want to tie every single villain and event of the series to the Black Cloak Society, and weave the games tightly together, and I think having all these people and events tied together actually limits the possibilities for the story going forward and makes the universe of the series that much smaller--much like Lucas did with the Star Wars prequels (IE, Anakin creating C-3PO, meeting Boba Fett as a child and making him a Clone, having Yoda fight alongside Chewbacca in the Clone Wars, etc)

• @Anakin Skywalker said: I think KQ2+ kind of "TSLed" the series. While they kept the tone of the classic games (unlike TSL), they attempted to tie EVERY SINGLE GAME together by shoehorning in some grand, ''epic'' conspiracy/prophecy going back 1000 years. I don't feel there needs to be a conspiracy, or a prophecy, or any of that crap. I don't even feel we need to revisit the (only mentioned in one line in KQ6) Black Cloak Society. Each KQ game was a relatively self contained story, with only a low key tie to the previous games. Even in KQIV, you didn't need to play KQIII to understand the intro.

This! That is a big reason why I dislike Kq2+. It tries to tie everything together like your average fanfiction. Hopefully I don't offend anyone, but I really didn't like how AGDI handle the kq2 remake and cringe if they make an official Kq game like kq2+. the whole game feels as if the developer tries to shoehorn every Kq mythology in 1 game. the game felt so convoluted with the shark fighting the mer people, the wolf men vs vampires, and the black cloak society fighting Graham. the game felt like it was trying to be this epic, grand quest. it felt too dark for me.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Roberta didn't even know there was about the Black Cloak Society until years later when fans brought it up. She recalled briefly musing over the idea of an organization which would've had ONLY Alhazred, Mordack and Manannan early in co-designing KQ6 with Jane Jensen, and Jensen later included it in the finished KQ6. It was never something she seemed to take that seriously, and note that neither KQ7 nor KQ8 so much as mentioned it.

KQ2+ and TSL seem to want to tie every single villain and event of the series to the Black Cloak Society, and weave the games tightly together, and I think having all these people and events tied together actually limits the possibilities for the story going forward and makes the universe of the series that much smaller--much like Lucas did with the Star Wars prequels (IE, Anakin creating C-3PO, meeting Boba Fett as a child and making him a Clone, having Yoda fight alongside Chewbacca in the Clone Wars, etc)

It also limits the writers' ability to be original and creative. Most fanfiction tries to try everything together. I would like to see new stories with unrelated
    villains like the original kq2.

Tying everything up worked horribly with the metal gear solid games. By mgs4, you find out that everything from the three games were staged to try taking down some computer that is controlling everything; the story gotten so stupid and convoluted that it didn't make any sense.

• I'm happy to see, that I'm not the only one, who thinks AGDI went a bit too far with KQ2 remake. It's a fun game, I'm not denying it, but it does take things a bit too far.

I do understand, why they did so much re-writing tough, as the original has very little plot to begin with, but a bit less would have been more aproriate.

• @Olaus Petrus said: Personally I feel that Companions and other material like that are bit uncanonical.

It may not be canon, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun. I'm one of those geeks who craves continuity and connections in a series, and the Black Cloak Society was the big unanswered question of the King's Quest saga. I love seeing each and every fan interpretation of how things tie together.

I'm also a Tolkien fan, because I love when a fictional world feels like a huge, expansive, coherent universe. One of the things the King's Quest Companion does well is add a sense of history to the world of Daventry, which to me, gives the games a lot more depth. Fan theories that tie the games together are just taking that one step further.

I understand that theories about connections aren't going to be enjoyed by everyone, and that's fine. Some people prefer the more standalone nature of each game in the original series. But I enjoy watching fans take on the challenge of seeing how things could possibly connect, and even when the results are far-fetched, I still find the ride very entertaining.

Add Comment