User Avatar Image

The Mystery of El Pollo Diablo

posted by ragdoll556 on - last edited - Viewed by 643 users

In The Curse of Monkey Island there is a myth circulating around plunder island about a horrifying demon known as El Pollo diablo(the devil chicken).
It supposedly is responsible for releasing Blondebeard's chickens and is a cause of horror for most of the residents. But the game never seemed to explain exactly what El Pollo Diablo was (assuming I didn't overlook something). Guybrush used the myth to trick blondebeard at one point, but that was pretty much the only time it was used in the plot.

So my question is, was it real? If not, then what freed blondebeard's chickens?

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Its The Voodoo Lady she knew Guybrush would need to get on the ship so she staged the whole thing knowing he would be able to use it to get on with out him suspecting hes being used.

  • I think Blondebeard was just a little crazy...

  • @Irishmile said: I think Blondebeard was just a little crazy...

    Then why were the chicken coops EMPTY???? AND WHY WAS EVERYONE SCARED OF IT?????

    The answers we shall never know.

  • @Silverwolfpet said: Nu-uh, that creature is REAL! You can see it here!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoki4wBwtA

    ¡Madre de Dios!

  • It's Marty McFly, which by accident didn't only travel to the wrong time, but the wrong universe/game, and then being captured by Capten LeChimp and his crew. We know what happens next. Dipped in tar and feathers, he wandered the island for a while (somehow always evading Guybrush), and then passing by Captain Blondebeard's, we all know how McFlys react to being clucked at.

  • @Silverwolfpet said: Nu-uh, that creature is REAL! You can see it here!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoki4wBwtA

    Urgghhh... did you actually just compare Family Guy to Monkey Island, in a roundabout kind of way?! That's like comparing a rotten bit of grizzle on the bottom of a tramps shoe to a sirloin steak!

  • There's a bit in the CMI Strategy Guide where Bill Tiller mentions that the game designers wanted to have El Pollo Diablo actually make an appearance in-game in the flesh.... err, in the feathers?

  • @ATMachine said: There's a bit in the CMI Strategy Guide where Bill Tiller mentions that the game designers wanted to have El Pollo Diablo actually make an appearance in-game in the flesh.... err, in the feathers?

    Ah, that makes sense. I know that the ending to the game was cut due to budget but I had always felt that El Pollo Diablo was intended to get some kind of explanation. It just seems strange that such a big deal is made about him but it only ever pans out to solving a puzzle.

  • @Davies said: Ah, that makes sense. I know that the ending to the game was cut due to budget but I had always felt that El Pollo Diablo was intended to get some kind of explanation. It just seems strange that such a big deal is made about him but it only ever pans out to solving a puzzle.


    Yeah. I'm not sure it ever got as far as the missing ending cutscene did, though. The idea the writers tossed around for El Pollo Diablo's appearance was definitely pretty wacky, and is very likely why he was cut.

    To quote Tiller:

    @Davies said: ...everything else got into the game. Except the huge El Pollo Diablo trap-filled labyrinth beneath Plunder Island, filled with the ghastly howling clucks of his little brethren demanding vengeance on the chicken-eating world, where Guybrush is captured and tortured until he swears off white meat for the rest of his life and then is trained in the sacred Way of the Chicken and becomes an elite warrior of the Pollo Knights of the Sith. And the big battle at the end where Guybrush and Elaine fight off the skeletons holding her captive and Guybrush goes after LeChuck on the roller coaster. Other than that, it's all there.

Add Comment